1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading Tivo on Verizon Fios

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by NYHeel, Apr 21, 2017 at 11:05 AM.

1. NYHeel

NYHeel Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2003
    I'm helping my brother in law upgrade from a 2 tuner Premier to the Roamio Plus. The plan is to transfer his annual payment plan from his Premier to the roamio and add $99 lifetime to the Premier.

How does the cable card transfer work with Fios? Everything I've seen shows the need for an activation code but he obviously doesn't have one since he's had the cable card for 3 years already. With that said I assume the cable card won't work if he just puts it into the Roamio.

Lastly, how well does the transfer one pass and recordings tool work on Tivo's website? I'm not too worried about recordings since those can easily be transferred via the boxes themselves but what about the one pass transfers. Does that work as it should?

2. ajwees41

ajwees41 Active Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    call Fios and give them the new numbers

3. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Hi,
    I can only speak to the cablecard transfer. It is likely that you will get some channels ok at first, but if not properly paired to the new Tivo, it will eventually become completely "deactivated". I would recommend that after transfering the card physically to the new Tivo, is to go the the cc menu and then write down all of the necessary information, CCID#, Host ID, Data, and cc sn and then use the verizon direct forum to get the card properly paired and activated. This is slower but it avoids trying to call and find a competent CSR who won't screw things up so you will eventually need to get a new card and start over.

ClearToLand likes this.
  4. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    I just did this online OP transfer this morning, worked better than the last time I did it a few years ago. Just need to doublecheck after a time to make sure they all copied over.

5. El Maestro

El Maestro Member

Nov 19, 2013
    As above posters have said, you'll need to get Verizon the new numbers to pair the card. I and others have had success with using Verizon's online live chat for CableCard pairing. Give that a shot!

6. NYHeel

NYHeel Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2003
    Will do thanks. It turns out that my brother in law never actually had his cable card paired to his Premiere. That's why HBO and more recently FX/FXX weren't working as those channels have copy protection turned on and require a paired cable card. I wonder if merely an activated card would work on the new box in the same way it worked on his Premiere. But either way it's worth getting the card paired correctly to the new box.

7. Burdy

Burdy Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Hudson...
    A couple of weeks ago I went through the re-pairing process when I upgraded to a new TiVo. The Fios website leads you to believe this is something you can easily do yourself if you have the activation code; this may be true for some but wasn't true for me even though I had my 'activation code' on the paperwork received when I initially obtained the card four years ago. In my case the activation code was deemed invalid by the website so I called the customer support number.

The only (minor) annoyance was getting through the automated voice response system which didn't seem to understand 're-pair cable card' as the reason for my call; I might have had better luck saying 're-activate cable card' since that is the terminology the tech used to confirm with me what I needed to do. Once I got through to a tech and read off all the requested numbers including the card serial number, the process went very smoothly.

8. Riblet2000

Riblet2000 New Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Chicago area
    I just went through this with Comcast yesterday, moving from an HD to a Bolt. They first had to unpair it from the HD but after that we were off to the TV watching races in one attempt. I'm sure Fios does it the same way. Just make sure you are clear with the CSR that you are moving the card and not activating a new one.