1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading internal hard drive

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by kturcotte, Jun 28, 2014.

1. kturcotte

kturcotte New Member

Dec 8, 2002
    Portland, ME
    I'm thinking about uograding the internal hard drive in my Roamio Basic. Is it really just as simple as popping the case, removing the old drive, and inserting the new one? I upgraded the drive in my Premiere, and done various computer uogrades, so stuff like this isn't a problem, but I don't currently have a computer, just my smartphone (Obviously I couldn't upgrade a Premiere lol), so if it does require a computer, I'm out of luck.
    If that's all that's required (I realize I'm going to start from scratch regarding settings, season passes, recordings, everything), what model hard drives are recommended? I see Red NAS drives from Western Digital that aren't much more than regular drives. Are those worth it? And how many hours of recording time (About) would I get for 1TB? 2 TBs? Keep in mind I'm recording OTA?

2. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
  3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Roamio is the first series without the need of a PC to upgrade and it can handle up to a 3 TB. Most recommend a GP-AV since its made for 24/7 use. However, you could void the warranty just by opening the case.

4. kturcotte

kturcotte New Member

Dec 8, 2002
    Portland, ME
    I'm not really worried about the warranty lol The most likely things to go are the hard drive and PSU. PSU is actually pretty much outside on the base model, right? Green drive over the Red drives?

5. DougJohnson

DougJohnson Member

Dec 11, 2006
    I was all set to tell you "green". But checking the datasheets for 3TB drives:

(green) http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/SpecSheet/ENG/2879-771438.pdf

(red) http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/SpecSheet/ENG/2879-800002.pdf

shows a 1,000,000 hour MTBF for red and don't give a figure for the green. The red has a 3 year warranty and the green 2.

Amazon shows the red for $122 and the green for $109.

So, now I say "red".

-- Doug

6. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    I have been using the 3Tb Red WD drive for about 6 months, no problems so far.

7. Chuckmeister

Chuckmeister New Member

May 12, 2008
    BFE, AZ
    When I upgraded my Roamio basic I went with a WD Red 3tb drive, it was on sale at Fry's for $109, no problems whatsoever.
    I now have 470 hrs of recording space in HD on the Roamio, since your OTA only it gives you the ability to season record series to watch later and not worry about running low on space or managing space.

8. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    If you had a computer you could upgrade to a 4TB drive. The computer needs to do some pre-formatting of the drive for the Roamio to use it. Otherwise it goes into a format loop.

9. Heretic

Heretic New Member

Jun 18, 2014
    I did a 4TB upgrade with the method jmbach mentioned to a Roamio Basic. Pretty easy actually.