1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading from Series 2 questions

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by neilio, Oct 27, 2012.

1. neilio

neilio New Member

Nov 8, 2005
    I currently have a Series 2 with lifetime and was told by Tivo CSRs that there is an upgrade path available until Nov. 19 - $299 to buy a Premiere box outright, and then $99 for lifetime. As we have OTA HD and HD cable in, the Premiere seems like a good way to get the latest technology and still maintain a lifetime sub.

So, questions:

1. Is the UI still slow as I've read about elsewhere? I know there have been software upgrades since the initial Premiere release and wasn't sure if the performance was fixed. How does it compare to the Series2 UI?
    2. How decent is the cross-service search? (i.e. searching OTA, Cable, Netflix, Hulu, etc. at the same time)

Any other thoughts or observations are welcome! And thanks.
  2. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    Interesting deal, I don't think anyone else has mentioned it. The pricing seems backwards, though -- i.e. I think you're listing the service price as the box price, and vice versa.

This is what they've offered me, in email (expiring Oct. 30th):

TiVo Premiere DVR $69.99 and Product Lifetime service
    $399.99.** Must be eligible for multi-service discount

This is the same deal they've always offered, basically, except that they've lowered the box cost and raised the service cost by the same amount.
  3. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    That's a good price, less than the going price for a used on eBay.
  4. neilio

neilio New Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Well, I got this price via a chat with a TiVo CSR, so I'm not sure. This is what he said:

Potato, Potahto, I guess, as long as the outcome is the same. :)
  5. ab3tx

ab3tx Smoky White Devil

Mar 12, 2006
    I received the same deal. Even though the pricing seems odd (the box price is higher than what is currently available on tivo.com), it still represents a $150 savings over the current box plus MSD PLS price. Note that the deal was tied to my LT 540 TSN, but there was no requirement to stop service on the 540.

In my case, I thought it was a no brainer. I will pay the total price back in 19 months by turning in a cableco DVR, and my experience so far has been nothing but positive. I bought the 2-tuner Premiere specifically for a secondary TV, and if the experience remains positive, then I will turn in my other cableco DVR, and purchase an XL4 (or S5, if they drop early next year) and a couple of Minis.

For the OP, the speed is faster than my 540 with a 1TB drive on whatever the current 540 software is. I can't recall if the Premiere is faster or slower than the original 540 software and drive when it was new, but if it's slower, it's not much slower.

Attached Files:

6. neilio

neilio New Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Thanks, ab3tx! I'm going to call today and get one. Curious if I'll be able to sell the Series 2 afterwards or not.
  7. neilio

neilio New Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Bah. At some point TiVo stopped selling to Canadians, even with a US shipping address. I bought my Series2 direct from TiVo so I assumed it'd be the same thing this time around.

I is sad.
  8. hasservision

hasservision TiVo Tinkerer

Jul 16, 2007
    Pacifica, CA
    You mean they're refusing to sell you a TiVo just because you're in Canada?

Can you buy one on eBay and use it or will they deny you service?
  9. lillevig

lillevig Hot in West Texas

Dec 6, 2010
    San Angelo, TX
    That's basically the same deal as $0 for the Premiere and $399 for lifetime that has been going around. Need to know if the Premiere is new or a refurb. I think the $0 Premeire was a refurb.