1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading drive in running Roamio Base

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Rickster29us, May 11, 2014.

1. Rickster29us

Rickster29us New Member

Jul 9, 2007
    I have the Roamio with the 500GB drive. I was golng to go external but I was not comfortable with a 2nd point of failure and reading other posts convinced me to replace the internal. I just bought the WD 3TB drive that has been recommended in several posts. I have extensive experience building computers so putting the drive in is not an issue (I hear getting the case off might be). From what I've read it looks all I need to do is replace the drive and the TIVO will format the drive and reload the software. Is this the case? I used KMTTG to create a file of my season passes so I should be able to reload them from my computer once the TIVO is ready with the new drive. I have FIOS and was wondering if I will have to re-pair the cable card. FIOS makes it pretty easy but I hope not. Does anyone know have I missed anything or made wrong assumptions. From what I've read it seems to be a pretty easy prospect on the Roamio to swap out drives. Please let me know if I have any misunderstandings or potential problem areas with replacing the hard drive. Thanks

2. A J Ricaud

A J Ricaud New Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Hacienda...
    You have all the correct facts re: the drive. I can't answer re: the re-pairing-don't hav FiOS

3. gkottner

gkottner Member

Jun 5, 2010
    West...
    I hadn't done any PC work in years and it took me 25 minutes to switch the drive. About 15 minutes involved getting the cover on and off. What worked for me was,after taking out the screws, flex the cover and the back set of clips should pop off easily. To get the middle set, I slowly slid a dinner knife under the center of the cover and that set popped off. The last set should now easily come off. Remember to take a look at the front cover before you pop it off to see how that is aligned, so you can easily put the cover back on.

4. cmshep222

cmshep222 Member

Feb 18, 2005
    I'm 99% sure you DO NOT have to re-pair CableCards. I know I've read it on here somewhere.

5. hojbjerg

hojbjerg New Member

May 5, 2004
    Just did an upgrade on a roamio base with TWC cable card and I had re-pair the cable card.

6. Rickster29us

Rickster29us New Member

Jul 9, 2007
    Thanks for the reply. Did you have to contact TWC? Also, about how long to format the new drive? Just so I know what to expectm

7. Rickster29us

Rickster29us New Member

Jul 9, 2007
    Thanks

8. hojbjerg

hojbjerg New Member

May 5, 2004
    Swapping the drive was probably 20 minutes and getting it up and running again was probably 1 - 1 1/2 hour.

Yes - I had to call TWC cable card activation and go through getting it re-paired. I had to pop the cable card out and they sent some activation code.

9. Rickster29us

Rickster29us New Member

Jul 9, 2007
    Thanks. Hopefully with fios I won't have to re-pair

10. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    You will most likely have to re-pair the cable card if you receive any premium channels (HBO, etc.).

11. Robin

Robin Nasty Woman

Dec 6, 2001
    Southwestern...
    With Comcast I had to re-pair for HBO and video on demand.

Comcast, naturally, turned it into a nightmare and eventually they had to send a tech to do the re pairing.

But yes, you have the procedure right. I didn't back up my season passes so I had to put the old drive back to get them. Probably doubled my time.

I don't recall how long the format took, sorry. I did it in an evening easily.