1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading and impact on service fees

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by grue, Jun 14, 2012.

1. grue

grue New Member

Jul 16, 2003
    So it's been a while since I've done anything TiVo. I currently have a Series2 with lifetime (which I haven't even used for over a year), and an upgraded Tivo HD system (I think I put a 1TB drive in there) for which I pay 6.95/month for.

I am looking at the Premiere and possibly the XL/elite, but am wondering how it will affect my pricing. Will my monthly go up if I replace my Tivo HD with a premiere or elite?

I may bite on something like the woot deal if it comes around again, but I'd like to know what I'm getting into beforehand :)

Final Q: Is the standard premiere box as easy to upgrade as the previous tivos? Briefly looking in the upgrade forum, it appears there is a procedure that looks straightforward. Even so, a 2tb upgraded premiere vs an elite at about the same price is no contest.

Edit: Oh geez, nevermind. I just noticed that I started getting charged 12.95/month. I will need to look into that!

Thanks!
    Thomas

2. KrustyVT

KrustyVT New Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    If your Series 2 has been off for over a year, that's the problem. Unless it contacts TiVo once every 6 months, the MSD pricing for your TiVoHD will "deactivate" and you'll get charged the standard monthly rate for service.

Connect the Series 2 and have it connect to TiVo, and your MSD pricing for the TiVoHD will reactivate. The bigger issue that you'll have is that I believe it will reactivate at $9.95/month - the "new" MSD pricing for a TiVoHD after the $6.95/month price was discontinued. Good luck trying to get the $6.95/month price back, that will definitely require a phone call to a CSR ...

As for a Premiere activation - the MSD pricing for that unit would be $12.99/month.

3. grue

grue New Member

Jul 16, 2003
    You are correct! I just chatted with them, and they told me this. I was having trouble with my tv, and then haven't gotten around to hooking it back up. Would have been nice to get en e-mail from them concerning this. Nice way to get more $$ out of the customer I guess. But I suppose that's why you need to read the terms. She said I was SOL on the 6.95 pricing.

Oh well.

4. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    If you get a premiere, and cancel the HD, you may well get a 99 lifetime offer. Search for this in other threads.

5. grue

grue New Member

Jul 16, 2003
    Thanks. Will do.

I plugged in my lifetime tivo and the PS was dead. But, I remembered I had another series 2 laying around, so scavenged the PS out of that one and popped it in. Good to go! Glad I had that as I see the PS goes for around $70. Yikes.

At least I'll get back $3/month now :)

6. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    But capacitors to fix that power supply will run you less than $10

7. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    I don't know that you'll automatically go back to MSD pricing even at the $9.95 rate. Years ago, Tivo changed MSD to be for new subscriptions only so that if you became eligible, but had an existing subscription at full price, that subscription wouldn't automatically get lowered to the MSD rate. You'd have to cancel and resubscribe to get the MSD rate.