1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

upgraded Premiere boot loop after fall update

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Shooter3k, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Shooter3k

Shooter3k New Member

Oct 10, 2004
    I have 3 Premiere's.....2 of them are the XL version and 1 is the regular version I updated with a 1GB drive. Last night, all 3 Tivo's received the fall update. However, the upgraded one is now boot looping.

I'm thinking my only option is to put the original drive back in, apply the fall update, then copy that image back over to the original 1gb drive that was in the tivo. If this is done, i obviously lose my recordings but what other options do I have?

Any suggestions?

2. Leon WIlkinson

Leon WIlkinson TiVo Gone Wild

Feb 13, 2000
    TiVo Town
    Most likely your 1 TB drive might fail again. I would use a diagnostic program on it first.

3. Leon WIlkinson

Leon WIlkinson TiVo Gone Wild

Feb 13, 2000
    TiVo Town
    Would it be a Western Digital drive?

Try pulling the Plug, Hard reboot

4. jfh3

jfh3 New Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Good plan. The boot loop (if to the first screen) is more than likely related to a hard drive problem.

You could also just use the original drive for a new upgrade and apply the updated sw to the new drive. That's how I do it, keeping the original drive untouched.

5. Shooter3k

Shooter3k New Member

Oct 10, 2004
    I probably should have clarified on some of the details...sorry about that.

This is a western digital drive but it's a black label version and not a green version.

Also, this drive had been trouble free for the last year or so and only had the problem once it got the fall update.

I'm going to install the old drive and run the update to see how things work out.

Thanks for everyone's advice so far.

6. Shooter3k

Shooter3k New Member

Oct 10, 2004
    The original drive worked and didn't boot loop after the fall update. I guess now I have to try getting the old drive working again...

7. jcthorne

jcthorne Active Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    Not sure what you think a black label has to do with this but a boot loop is likely a failing drive. The update changed which partition the tivo boots from, sounds like the drive has bad or failing sectors there.