1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by jmr50, Aug 20, 2013.

1. jmr50

jmr50 New Member

Dec 27, 2003
    So, the big question out there for me - is there going to be any kind of upgrade path from Premier-generation gear to Roamio, like they did when Premier was launched?

Margret Schmidt (TiVoMargret or @tivodesign) is looking into it:
    https://twitter.com/tivodesign/status/369842099606138880

Attached Files:

2. stevo123

stevo123 New Member

Dec 15, 2008
    I sent her an email too. My lifetime Premiere XL4 is less than a year old. I chatted with the customer service reps online. They said there would be no lifetime transfer, etc.
    So far, all you get is the $100 discount for already owning a tivo.

Personally, I'd prefer a free lifetime transfer if I could deactivate the XL4.

3. ampm99

ampm99 Tivo Zealot

Feb 17, 2003
    Danville,CA
    My Series 3 just died and I was told I could not transfer my lifetime service to Roamio.
    3 months ago when my other series 3 died, they let me transfer (for $199) to a tivo premier. They basically told me even though I have 15 years with Tivo, once I buy lifetime support I am worthless to TIVO. They only care about current revenue.

4. jjd_87

jjd_87 Member

Jan 31, 2011
    WV
    Keep us updated on this. I bought my Premier 4 last fall so I'd love to make the jump but I cant justify the price of the Roamio plus another lifetime service.

5. brentil

brentil New Member

Sep 9, 2011
    The last and only time we got a lifetime transfer was Valentines 2001 when we were able to move our S1 to a S2 device. We've been with TiVo since 1998 so 15 years now and I've tried calling in and been denied every time. I understand why, it's where they make their money. However it would be nice if there was another upgrade level where instead of just the $100 off for MSD if I deactivated an older lifetime I could maybe get $200 off a new lifetime pretty much saying I'm never using that old device again unless I get a monthly for it.

6. BlackBetty

BlackBetty I

Nov 5, 2004
    Would be nice if they would throw premiere owners a bone for putting up with this terrible platform. I've owned two premieres since first day of launch. Both with lifetime service.

7. brentil

brentil New Member

Sep 9, 2011
    I've had 1 Premiere since near launch and I can attest it's been a nasty roller coaster ride... We added a 2nd TiVo Premiere about a year ago and it was an amazing difference in first setup and use experience between those launch units and now. I still don't think I can say I'm happy with the TiVo Premiere though, it's never lived up to what it was supposed to be.

8. waterchange

waterchange Member

Jun 29, 2010
    I know this is more of a hassle but you should easily be able to cover the cost of lifetime on a new Roamio box by selling your XL4 on eBay/Craigslist. Post your unit on Craigslist for $400 and see how many bites you get.

9. Peter Miller

Peter Miller 6th member of SG-1

Nov 28, 2001
    San Jose,...
    I'm @Petebuster from that twitter thread but still waiting to hear back from Margret. Will let you know once I hear back.

10. Mikeyis4dcats

Mikeyis4dcats Active Member

Oct 2, 2003
    +1

11. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Active Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    We did get an extra hundred off lifetime when the Premiere launched. If you bought from TiVo MSD was $199, this was before the change to $399/$499. http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=444088

I just hope whatever it is you can buy locally.

12. Resist

Resist New Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Is this were really the case, then I think Tivo would stop selling lifetime plans.

13. SOCATivo

SOCATivo New Member

Jan 2, 2002
    RSM, CA
    No, because some people will never buy anything with a subscription.

14. trade

trade Tivo Addict

Sep 1, 2005
    Fullerton, CA
    SteveCo

Tivo answered your email about the transfer of the lifetime or any discount, I sent the same email but not any answer in days, maybe they are elaborating how many people is mad about this second refresh of the line with a 6 decoders and Tivo mini don't use all the time one of them.

15. jjd_87

jjd_87 Member

Jan 31, 2011
    WV
    I'm guessing no one got a response to their email.

16. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    They *did* stop selling lifetime for a while.. (and some people were hoarding the lifetime subscription gift cards you could get at Best Buy)

17. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    They had stopped selling Lifetime when I got my three S3(OLED) boxes in 2006. I signed up for service for three years to have the lowest monthly price. At some point when I got several TiVoHD boxes in 2007/2008 lifetime service was back.