1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

upgrade TiVo

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by ufo4sale, Jul 23, 2012.

1. ufo4sale

ufo4sale Active Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Plainview...
    I have a 45 hour TiVo Premiere and I wanted to know what the largest amount of gigs I can hook up to it externally is?

2. Eradik

Eradik New Member

Jun 30, 2012
    Externally, 1 TB. Thats all that is available, and you have to buy the Western Digital My DVR Expander. Only one that will work. I got it on sale from Amazon for $99, but it seems to vary in price from that and $130.

3. lillevig

lillevig Hot in West Texas

Dec 6, 2010
    San Angelo, TX
    Forget external and buy a big internal drive. You can get it cheaper and not have to worry about losing everything if either of the two drives fails.

4. MeInDallas

MeInDallas Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    I agree. You can get 2TB internal and its so easy to do. I did 2 Premieres and with the JMFS software its very easy and much cheaper for the size you get.

5. Quake97

Quake97 New Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Southeastern PA
    Just to note, upgrading the internal drive voids your warranty and will keep you out of the TiVo beta programs, if that's something you're into.

Joe

6. Teeps

Teeps Active Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Good to know.
    I can live with both "cons" for 318 HD hours of space.

7. johnd01

johnd01 New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Sacramento ca
    Has anyone upgraded to a 3TB drive and been able to use all the space?

8. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Yes! and the TiVo would not boot, even if i just made a copy without expansion, any drive over 2.2Tb has a different format system that is not compatible with TiVo at this time. (its not compatible with Windows 7 and a normal BIOS, Windows 7 has some workarounds and some of the drive mfg have some special software that can be used to make the full drive (2.5Tb and up) bootable with a normal BIOS.)

9. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    In my day, we couldn't use a drive over 137 GB in a Tivo...

10. stcaudle12

stcaudle12 New Member

Jul 25, 2012
    Texas
    Can you put two drives in a premier and "marry" them?

11. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I don't think so, but why would you want to do that? One drive fails, the whole system is borked anyway. :confused:

Not only that, only so much space is recognized (IIRC 2.2TB), so it only makes sense to just use one 2TB hard drive to upgrade the Premiere.

12. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Actually, I think that limit is PER DRIVE. Check the upgrade FAQ for sure.

13. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Probably so, but the catch is that unlike the S1 and S2 IDE master and slave setup, the second SATA connection on an S3 HD and up board is only going to work with that very small handful of WD model numbers of the drive inside the enclosure.

14. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    For the Premiere we (users) cannot, but third party vendors can. None of the Community developed tools have this ability (to my knowledge).

15. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Well, I thought the OLED S3 could use other drives externally, and I *thought* that there were hacks to use a 2nd drive even on newer ones -- maybe even hooked to the SATA inside rather than via the normal external port, but maybe I'm totally wrong on that part.

16. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Yeah, the original S3 can use an "unapproved" external, but the eSATA port is attached to the motherboard so is only easily accessible from outside on the back panel.

(The S3 HD has a regular SATA header and a short jumper to an eSATA socket mounted in the back panel)

Originally someone discovered that Kickstart 62, previously undocumented, would let you add an external to an original S3.

(Software version 9.2 disabled KS 62, but you can still add an external, see below.)

This news got out before TiVo wanted it to, because they really didn't yet have all of their ducks in a row at the time.

Here's info on it I hadn't noticed before

http://www.mfslive.org/kickstart62.htm

http://www.mfslive.org/tivos3_esata.htm

Bear in mind, you can only add external to an original S3 if it's still using the original 250GB internal drive.

If you've replaced it with a bigger internal, you're out of luck.

And of course it puts part of each recording on both drives so you lose them all if anything goes wrong.

Also, unlike the S1s, which were designed for being able to take two IDE drives and therefore came with 2 Molex power connectors, and the S2s which still had an IDE header and a Molex you could easily plug a Y adapter into, the S3s have an internal combo data/power SATA plug that means no easy Y'ing of power and the power supply's probably not big enough to be running 2 drives anyway.

17. Teeps

Teeps Active Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Depending on the failure, the above is true.

I had the internal drive on my OLED S3 start to fail.
    Before it failed to operate at all, I removed it and did a bit copy to a Seagate drive of same size (250GB.)

Installed the new Seagate drive into TiVo; booted it up with the non approved external Esata 1TB (green drive.)
    TiVo worked as though noting had changed...

18. ufo4sale

ufo4sale Active Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Plainview...
    How much world a formatted 2TB Hard drive cost me and where can I get one? I don't' have a computer to format it so I would have to buy it from a third party.

19. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
  20. alyssa

alyssa Active Member

Dec 7, 2003
    The...
    i don't think this is true. I seem to remember having an upgraded S3 *and* an unsanctioned external.
    ;)