1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade TiVo HD or Series 3 to Premier XL

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by sbiller, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Mar 9, 2010 #1 of 32
    sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I have two units in my household, a Series 3 and a TiVo HD. Which one of the legacy series 3 platform should I upgrade? Pros of the Series 3 is the OLED display and THX certification, con is the two cable card requirement.

2. Mar 9, 2010 #2 of 32
    gweempose

gweempose Active Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    I own two of each, and I have always preferred the S3 to the THD. They're just better boxes, in my opinion. As long as you don't mind being billed for two CableCARDS, I say keep the S3.

3. Mar 9, 2010 #3 of 32
    TivoInNY

TivoInNY Tivo Addict

Dec 19, 2002
    New York
    The S3. For me, the OLED is worth the two cablecards and, frankly, I'm disappointed that it isn't still available even on the highest end Tivo. I would definitely pay $100 extra if they still offered it.

4. Mar 9, 2010 #4 of 32
    sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I was leaning towards the series 3 because of the OLED display, better build quality, THX, etc. It is a bummer paying an extra fee each month for the cablecard.

5. Mar 9, 2010 #5 of 32
    Mike-Mike

Mike-Mike New Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    you would pay $100 just to see the name of the show you are recording on the front of the tivo???

6. Mar 9, 2010 #6 of 32
    AandFDakota2001

AandFDakota2001 New Member

Sep 6, 2008
    West...
    I'd probably stick with the S3 as well. Especially in my case where I know Comcast only charges $2 a mont for an extra cablecard which in the grand scheme of things is pretty insignificant.

7. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    S3 costs an extra $35.4 per year for the CC.

8. gweempose

gweempose Active Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    He was responding to post #3.

9. mrsean

mrsean Member

May 15, 2006
    New Jersey
    I have the THD and any interest in the Premiere went out the window for me when I heard that there would not be any additional tuners. However, that interest has returned now that I heard the Premiere will consume 25watts of energy compared to the 50watts of the S3/THD. That's quite a savings on the electric bill.

Does anyone recall if the reported wattage info refer to standby or recording?

10. CrispyCritter

CrispyCritter Purple Ribbon Wearer

Feb 28, 2001
    North...
    There's basically no difference since the TiVo is always recording two channels, even in standby. People have measured the difference due to no output needed in standby at about a watt (some people under a watt, some over). TiVo's figures should be without standby, though I don't think they ever said.

11. Phasers

Phasers New Member

May 28, 2008
    This was one of the main reasons (looks, especially the OLED) that I spent $799 on my Series 3 in the first place. And also why I refused to get a tivoHD until I found one for $149.99.

edit: So basically I was willing to pay a lot more I suppose. And yes I know your question wasn't directed at me

12. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Mine consume 35 to 37 watts.

13. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    While the S3 may be a bit more powerful and have the OLED screen, I would definitely upgrade that box if you use cablecards on it. You can save money with a single M-card in the THD and the re-sale value of the S3 will be slightly higher. So, financially, it makes sense to upgrade the S3 and sale it. Of course, if money is not an option, I might stick with the S3 and get rid of the TiVo HD.

14. mrsean

mrsean Member

May 15, 2006
    New Jersey
    Okay. That makes more sense than considering FIOS dvrs are about 34w. I don't where I came up 50w from.:confused:

15. richsadams

richsadams Active Member

Jan 4, 2003
    I came down on the side of keeping our Series3, at least for now. Ordered the Premiere XL and will try to sell our TiVo HD w/1TB hard drive after the new box arrives.

Having used both the TiVo HD and Series3 for several years, I still like the features and the quality of the Series3 more.

16. stiffi

stiffi New Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Charm City
    Just sent a PM

17. ckelly33

ckelly33 Member

Oct 29, 2004
    I am going to get a Premiere for the main viewing room. Any opinions on whether the THX certification worth the extra $200? I don't need the extra recording space and, although my receiver (Pioneer Elite SC-27) is THX certified, I don't really use those modes.

For me, all signs point to no but since my previous (and current) TiVo is an S3 which IS THX certified, it got me a little concerned that I would notice a 'step-down' in Audio and or video quality (since TiVo claims that the THX certification ensures the best audio/video quality - or something to that effect).

Thanks for any opinions/advice

18. gweempose

gweempose Active Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    I've never really bought into the whole THX hype. To me, it's more of a marketing gimmick than anything else. In theory, THX certification guarantees that a product meets certain specs and performance criteria. Even if that's true, it doesn't mean that a product that isn't THX certified fails to meet those same criteria. To me, the decision to buy the XL over the regular Premiere simply came down to the larger drive. Since you mentioned that recording space is not a factor in your decision, I'd say just stick with the cheaper box. Plus, if you decide somewhere down the road that you need more space, you can always upgrade the internal drive or add an external one.

19. richsadams

richsadams Active Member

Jan 4, 2003
    Exactly. In fact I conducted a small test when I bought our TiVo HD. We were just moving into our house and Comcast needed to get both set up w/cable cards so I connected both the THD and our Series3 (via HDMI) to our LCD TV to make life easy for them. I compared the PQ side-by-side. There was a difference...it was minor but there was a difference. The PQ of the THD seemed slightly less sharp. It was across the board, menus, recordings and live. To my eyes I could not see any difference in color reproduction. So as mentioned the difference was very minor...the THD picture looking slightly "softer" and not quite as crisp. I've no idea what element might have made the difference between the two. And honestly, some folks might have preferred one over the other so I don't think one was really "better". I also connected both to our Integra receiver (TOSLink optical) and I couldn't hear any difference in the audio between the two at all. So with respect to the Series3 being THX certified and the TiVo HD not being certified, I don't think anyone would ever notice the difference in normal day-to-day use. FWIW all of our HT equipment (Series3, receiver and speakers) happened to be THX certified but I didn't buy them because of that...it just so happened that the equipment I wanted had the certification. I can't say how that same comparison might turn out between the standard TiVo Premiere and the XL of course.

Here's the THX take on things and you can Google dozens of articles about it.

That and the learning Glo Remote made it an easy choice for me as well. As I've mentioned elsewhere after the various upgrade offers and discounts the difference between an XL and upgrading a standard Premiere to 1TB came down to about $25. With the Glo Remote it's a wash in my case. If you don't need the recording space I'm sure the standard Premiere would serve very well.

20. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    But the bottom line is no one knows for sure whether there is, or is not a difference in the hardware between the Premiere and Premiere XL.

or even the two TiVoHD models.

personally there was a noticeable difference between my original s3 and a regular TiVo HD. The bitstreamed audio pops up in a split second with any of my S3 units, while any of my TiVo HD units takes up to a second. And this is the case with three different HDMI receivers.