1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade my new Premier box to 2TB BEFORE activiation?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by jlin, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Jun 4, 2012 #1 of 12
    jlin

jlin New Member

Nov 20, 1999
    Santa Monica
    When is the best time to upgrade the HD to 2TB from the 500GB internal one?

Should it be done before or after initial software download/activation?

Obviously it should be done before any recordings are made to save copying data time.

2. Jun 4, 2012 #2 of 12
    Jebberwocky!

Jebberwocky! Guest

Apr 16, 2005
    I did mine before after I made sure the original drive would activate okay. In other words I went up the the point where the next step was to activate and quit. Swapped out the drives and then did the activation process over and completed it.

I'm really not sure if that was necessary but I thought if the unit was defective out of the box I didn't want to possible ruin the warranty.

3. Jun 4, 2012 #3 of 12
    jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    Do it after activation and cablecard install is working (and software is updated). That way you'll be ready to go immediately and if the drive ever fails your backup can go in with no issues.

4. Jun 4, 2012 #4 of 12
    jlin

jlin New Member

Nov 20, 1999
    Santa Monica
    I won't be using it for cable. just OTA.

5. Jun 4, 2012 #5 of 12
    cherry ghost

cherry ghost Active Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago
    Then wait a couple weeks to make sure everything is working properly. The extra copy time won't be that bad.

6. Jun 4, 2012 #6 of 12
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    The only real issue is if you use cablecards, the pairing info is saved to the hard drive so if you don't copy the data to the new drive you would have to re-pair the cablecards. With OTA it will not matter.

7. Jun 5, 2012 #7 of 12
    steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    This.

But if you want to dive right in, at least power up the Tivo, complete the guided setup, and let it get the latest software version.

That way, when you do the upgrade, you won't have to do guided setup again, and it will already have the current software on it.
    And, if/when the upgraded drive fails, you can re-install the original hard drive to get back up and running ASAP.

8. Jun 5, 2012 #8 of 12
    L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    Also, wasn't there some problem with early software versions not supporting the 2TB drives? Or was that just a problem with the Series 3 units?

9. Jun 5, 2012 #9 of 12
    Series3Sub

Series3Sub Active Member

Mar 14, 2010
    I believe since there is subsequent software developed by 3rd party that does allow an S3 (648) to see the entire 2TB HDD. This includes HDD's sold by Weaknees and DVR Dude, just as two examples. If you attempt to install a 2TB HDD without the necessary software, then the S3 will only see 1.5TB of your 2TB HDD.

10. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Are you talking about the early TiVo software on the Premiere, or the open source aftermarket software used to upgrade to bigger drives?

11. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    I'm talking about early TiVo software on whichever box was being discussed back then. I think it was said that you had to update the TiVo software first because the original software shipped on the box wouldn't know what to do with a 2TB drive. Or if I'm remembering a Series 3 discussion, maybe even a 1TB drive would be a problem. So definitely upgrade the software from TiVo's servers before upgrading the drive.

12. MeStinkBAD

MeStinkBAD New Member

Jul 16, 2003
    Tucson, Az
    The TiVo has always been able to read up to 2.1TB.