1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upcoming new show: Baggage Battles starts 04/11

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by pmyers, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Apr 9, 2012 #1 of 21
    pmyers

pmyers Active Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    Thanks to Frylock who let me know about this show:

http://www.travelchannel.com/tv-shows/baggage-battles

Description from the website:

2. Apr 9, 2012 #2 of 21
    kaszeta

kaszeta Fjohürs Lykkewe TCF Club

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    Darn, having once worked briefly as a ramp monkey, I was hopping this was something baggage-handler related.

3. supham

supham Slow Member

Jan 15, 2003
    Oxford, MI
    It is Storage Wars, just reduced to 1'x2'x3' units.

4. Frylock

Frylock Live Long and Tivo!

Feb 13, 2002
    Round Rock, TX
    Definitely not as good as Storage Wars, IMO. I will give it another episode or two, but it wasn't nearly as good.

5. Wilhite

Wilhite ...no stinkin' title

Oct 26, 2003
    I wonder how many people will be watching this and see their lost luggage.

6. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh.

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    They'll make a show about anything nowadays.

7. pmyers

pmyers Active Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    I found it pretty interesting.

I was surprised at the amount of people already at these auctions. In Storage Wars it started off with only a couple of people and as the show got popular and word got out, the crowds came. Looked like there was already huge competition here.

8. Frylock

Feb 13, 2002
    Round Rock, TX
    It's interesting that these aren't just baggage auctions, but reclaimed item auctions. I've been to those before, and they always are pretty packet. Never been to one with luggage though.

It does seem that buying bags is not a good investment. Unless you're buying for the bag itself, it seems like your odds of losing cash are pretty good.

9. DanB

DanB New Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    I was channel surfing and saw the British fellow and wife(?) getting some music thing appraised. Isnt he one of the appraisers from "Storage Wars," I think Barry uses them and also maybe Darrel.

10. Malcontent

Malcontent Aka: Smiling Bob

Sep 4, 2004
    Ohio
    Yeah, I just finished watching the first two episodes and recognized the British guy and his wife as being on Storage Wars. They own an antique store that Barry has taken things to be appraised.

11. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    Given what he paid for the music box he's not much of an appraiser.

12. gschrock

gschrock Member

Dec 27, 2001
    holt, mi
    To me, that seems like it would be kinda obvious, so I'm not sure why there'd be that huge of a demand to buy these bags. After all, haven't we all had it beaten into us that one should never put valuables in your luggage? Between the baggage handlers and the TSA, it'd be a miracle if anything valuable made it through.

13. pmyers

pmyers Active Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    except some of the bags have value in themselves: vintage or high end luggage.

Seems like the real money is in the bags of jewelry which is what I don't understand. How do these "bags" come about? They obviously didn't come from one suitcase. Are these just random rings that find their way to lost and found and then are bundled into a bag?

14. pmyers

pmyers Active Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    Anybody still watching this?

The show has certainly gotten away from baggage? The one I just watched was a police auction. I guess all the "Auction" names where already taken.

15. DeDondeEs

DeDondeEs Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 20, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    I refuse to watch anything that glorifys the airlines incompetence in doing the simple job of getting your bags along with you to your destination.

16. Frylock

Feb 13, 2002
    Round Rock, TX
    I was watching an episode of American Pickers, and recognized the guy from NY. He was on an episode of Pickers a few years back where they brought an old hand-painted carnival sign to him. His "shop" looked pretty sketchy, and in the Pickers episode he was wearing an eye patch.

These reality shows definitely are starting to overlap...

17. vertigo235

vertigo235 Active Member TCF Club

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    Eyepatch eh? Like a temporary one or were they seriously trying to make him look like he only had 2 eye?

18. pmyers

pmyers Active Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    It was just your typical black eye patch. They never addressed it or brought it up on the show.

19. vertigo235

vertigo235 Active Member TCF Club

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    Seems right on target though, after how they did the Pepsi machine on pawn stars from Ricks (from american restorqtion) brother.

20. Frylock

Feb 13, 2002
    Round Rock, TX
    Yes, they never addressed the eye patch.

Unlike History, where they seem to like to link their programs, this didn't seem linked, especially since it was the travel channel and History. I think it was more of a coincidence. They have certainly never tried to point out that he was on an episode of Pickers.