1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unify "My Shows" between multiple TiVo's

Discussion in 'TiVo Suggestion Avenue' started by ahwman, Feb 17, 2013.

1. ahwman

ahwman Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Whole home DVR isn't a new concept and therefor isn't it time to unify multiple TiVo's into one master "My Shows", "To Do List", "Season Passes"' etc.? This certainly would make navigation across multiple TiVo's MUCH easier...

2. Christian Dad

Christian Dad TiVo Tinkerer

Oct 27, 2005
    Las Vegas
    How do I "Thumbs Up" on this!

3. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
  4. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    I would say that has been the number one most requested feature for ten years - Closely followed by
    cooperative tuners.

But I also do not want the consolidated NPL if it slows down my current Now Playing list.

Consider how today when you select the NPL from your local TiVo, you have a second or two delay as it builds the NPL. Imagine now if you had three or four TiVo's that had to be polled, the data consilidated and the NPL rendered.

Might as well go to the bathroom while you wait!

If that is what a consolidated NPL looks like, then no thank you.

5. mr_smits

mr_smits New Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Yes; this is a desirable feature. The thought is that this will likely not happen anytime soon because Tivo is moving towards the hub/spoke model with hubs being Tivo Elites or rumored 6-tuner Tivo (maybe one day there will be a 8 tuner Tivo?) with Tivo Minis as the spokes that stream content. It's a better model and likely the way the unified My Shows will work.

6. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    If they ever implement this, it better be something I can disable because I sure don't want it.

7. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    Why would you not want it? I can't for the life of me think of a reason why anyone would not want these features.

8. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Because I don't want the NPL of the TiVo only I use cluttered up with all of the crap recorded by other members of the household.

9. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    Cooperative tuners are higher on my list.

If they ever did create a consolidated NPL, I hope it comes with the user profiles mocked up some time ago.

I would hate to have all my kids stuff in my NPL.

10. compnurd

compnurd New Member

Oct 6, 2011
    This is thought to be included in the Spring Update. When I asked Margrat about this after the Fall Update, she mentioned this was coming next. We shall see.

I would imagine it would look like most cable companies or Direct TV's NPL and just list all shows between DVRS on the list. If there is duplicates it will group them

11. PCurry57

PCurry57 Liberal Hippie Chick

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    This is what DirecTV did when they introduced Whole Home to their HD DVR's. In the information segment it also included the name if on another TiVo. For the nah sayers getting all uptight calm down. I would expect that in the NPL list filter options i.e. Alpha/Date perhaps by TiVo or limit by THIS TiVo ONLY would be.

The one other thing this would affect is how then do you schedule a recording or season pass in another room. Of course this needs work anyway the convoluted way it works now is to convoluted. It's a lot of excess work to first browse the NPL, scroll to the TiVo you want to schedule on, press guide, select program, press info, press explore. It would really be nice if I could press record and choose the TiVo; recording conflict fine just choose a different TiVo w/o going through the preceding mess-o-steps again.

12. compnurd

compnurd New Member

Oct 6, 2011
    To be honest, If you have multiple DVR's then the Season passes and To do lists should remain with each unit. it should not be rocket science for people to sort there season passes and know what conflicts.

13. philhu

philhu User Since Day ONE!

Apr 11, 2001
    Funcity, MA
    Wrong. I have 4 tivos, 3 family members, each setting season passes on each unit. It is near impossible to do this, since you cannot see the season passes on the unit you are not on.

A user program kmttg allows this a bit. It lets you see and MOVE season passes between tivo premiere units!

14. compnurd

compnurd New Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Tivo.com does the same thing. Pull up two tivos next to each other and sort the season passes.. very easy

15. philhu

philhu User Since Day ONE!

Apr 11, 2001
    Funcity, MA
    Except it does not work on the tivo.com one.

1) The season passes are always sent to the other tivo out of order
    2) Any season passes for shows that do not have any scheduled episodes for more than 14 days out get moved with the program name 'Corrupt-Delete Me'

I spent 4 days trying to use that feature. It simply does not work

16. compnurd

compnurd New Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Hmmm never had that issue with it.. everything is in order

17. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    Ah, that makes sense. I have two Premiers and use OTA only. There are not enough tuners in one box to record everything. I don't like having to manage which box should record what and what each box has on it. Yes, a drawback would be having all my kids' shows in an integrated NPL but I'm willing to live with that to not have to worry about where things record and which box they are on.