1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unexpected Reboot

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by brianric, Aug 30, 2013.

1. brianric

brianric Active Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Pennsville, NJ
    My Roamio Pro started acting flaky while watching a recorded SD movie. The video froze while the audio kept running, then the unit rebooted. I usually get a unannounced reboot at 3 AM on my Premiere XL, but never at 4 PM. Hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Sounds like it crashed. Hopefully it was just a fluke and not a sign of impending hard drive failure. Keep an eye on it. You may even want to set up a bunch of dummy recordings to stress test it. Better it fail now while it's new and still under warranty then down the road.

3. brianric

brianric Active Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Pennsville, NJ
    Just before watching the movie I tried going into Comcast On Demand, and had great difficulity navigating through the menus, with the remote locking up. Finally got out of On Demand by hitting the Tivo Central button.

4. brianric

brianric Active Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Pennsville, NJ
    Just set up six recordings tonight at 8 PM.

5. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Unfortunately, it looks like mine also crashed and rebooted for no known reason. All I did was turn on the TV and walked away. A moment later I was back and I was looking at a bootup screen. This is not a good sign. I don't think my Premiere rebooted even once in almost a year...

6. Sep 1, 2013 #6 of 92
    brianric

brianric Active Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Pennsville, NJ
    I having rebooted since. I think my problem was going into On Demand ten minutes before rebooting. I was locking up, having great difficulty moving through the menus. I'm not concerned about On Demand as I rarely use it, it works ok on my Premiere XL, and I have my Apple TV to use if needed.

7. Sep 1, 2013 #7 of 92
    crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    In my case I was doing *nothing* except turning on the TV. I don't think it was even "recording".

8. Sep 1, 2013 #8 of 92
    zundian

zundian New Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Mine happened to reboot around the same time yours did last night. What a weird coincidence.

ETA: I just remembered that while fiddling around Saturday morning there was a scheduled call to be made around 3pm that would just not go away, no matter how many calls I forced. That may have lead to my reboot.

9. Sep 6, 2013 #9 of 92
    coldtoes

coldtoes vermicious knid

May 29, 2002
    Boston, MA
    Mine rebooted twice today, once after locking up while I was browsing one of the menus (can't remember which one, or what I was doing before) and the second after I attempted to initiate a transfer from an XL HD. Hopefully this is not a sign of more dire things to come.

10. swerver

swerver Member

May 18, 2012
    My Roamio plus has rebooted twice, and my new mini once. Since they are brand new, I was working them pretty hard, getting everything set up and testing everything out. First time was a freeze after hitting live tv after testing Netflix and rhapsody. Then the mini froze while testing looking at my premiere show list (which previously hadn't been working quite yet, this was the first time the list loaded), again after pressing live tv. Then the plus again, this time it just suddenly dropped to the startup screens while I was transferring from a pc with a couple more queued, and probably doing a couple other things. That was all yesterday, again during heavy use and they had just been activated and setup so things were still happening with that while I was doing all this... But still. My premiere also probably did that fewer times in a whole year. Anyway today's been good. Maybe it's cleared up.

11. bdspilot

bdspilot New Member

Dec 10, 2010
    My Pro rebooted yesterday while watching live TV.

12. bdspilot

bdspilot New Member

Dec 10, 2010
    Are you guys connecting through a green switch? I was using a Trendnet green switch. I have seen several threads that say there is a problem with green switches and Roamio. I am now connected directly to the router, will see if it helps. I also had drops while streaming from other Tivo's but they didn't cause reboot.

13. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    no

14. gweempose

gweempose Active Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    No reboots here yet, but now I'm worried that it's only a matter of time. Out of curiosity, when a machine has an unscheduled reboot, does it log the reason so that it can send the information to TiVo?

15. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    I don't think any of us know that. But I mentioned it before as something I hope they are doing.

16. bdspilot

bdspilot New Member

Dec 10, 2010
    2 days no reboots

17. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    That doesn't say much. I would want multiple months with no reboots.

Besides, how do you know it didn't reboot when you weren't using it? (Legit question... on computer I just use "uptime" or look at /var/log/messages or "last reboot" or "dmesg"; what about TiVo?)

18. bdspilot

bdspilot New Member

Dec 10, 2010
    Had to intentionally reboot this morning to get transfers to work again. It took 2:37. Not too bad.

How do you check the logs or dmesq?

for up time i usually look at "time since OOB tune start:" 2nd to last page of Diagnostics

19. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    On the computer? Just type "last reboot" or "uptime" or "dmesg". Looks like dmesg is not dated, so that is useless.

Oh! I completely forgot about that!! Thanks! (I wonder if anything else restarts that, though)

20. chicagobrownblue

chicagobrownblue Active Member

May 29, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    You might want to report the reboots to TiVo so they can look into the problem. Seeing these reboots gives me an additional reason to wait to upgrade.