1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Under The Dome - S01E02 - 7/1/2013

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by DancnDude, Jul 2, 2013.

1. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TC Club

Feb 7, 2001
    I still found it entertaining. I was quite surprised that they showed Barbie killing that guy in this episode. I figured that would have been dragged out for a long time and in the end, it would have been where the guy died but he was trying to help him or something like that.

Smart to buy up the cigarettes. They will be really valuable at some point.

I like the high school kid who's doing the science and math to figure out what they are working with. With the moisture getting through the dome, it seems like they shouldn't have to worry that it is air-tight and they likely won't run out of air.

Still wonder what could possibly be up with all the propane that the politician and minister are trying so hard to keep secret.

Disappointed that Duke the police chief died. I like that actor and thought he was doing a good job playing that character.
  2. Azlen

Azlen Active Member

Nov 24, 2002
    I thought that they had made it clear that they were manufacturing drugs or did I miss something?

For those that were concerned, they did show that the dome goes down as well, but it does seem silly that the teenagers were the only ones they showed attempting to dig under it.
  3. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Vegas Boy TC Club

Apr 2, 2001
    still watching

still, I wonder how this show works as a series. If they get out of the dome or destroy the dome or something, is there a show anymore?

yes, I know it's a book and the book has an ending. I really am not participating in these threads because I think it's too hard to dodge and weave through all the book vs. show talk.
  4. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TC Club

Feb 7, 2001
    I haven't read the book but if Prison Break can have a show after they break out of prison, Under the Dome can too :) But I'd imagine it would turn into fighting against who or whatever put dome there. Or maybe more domes start popping up and they'd be trying to help them as well. Just ideas.
  5. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TC Club

Oct 17, 2000
    My understanding is,
    it's still a finite series, but they've reworked the book's premise so it will take a number of seasons to tell.
  6. ClutchBrake

ClutchBrake Pass the gravy!

Sep 5, 2001
    Wait, so this isn't a mini-series? I thought it was all going to be wrapped up this summer. I might be out if this is going to go on and on and end up dying with no closure.
  7. Maui

Maui Major Lee Oblivious

Apr 22, 2000
    I enjoyed the second episode far more than the first. I think I was able to seperate the book from the show more as I already knew going into this episode that things were different. It was just jarring to me in the first episode.

I noticed that they covered several of the talking points of the last thread with people trying to dig and the smoke from the fire trapped in the dome.

It seems strange to me that the water mist can get through the dome but sound does not.
  8. Gerryex

Gerryex Member

Apr 24, 2004
    Its OK, and I'll still keep watching it but the one plot line that I think is terrible is the one with crazy Jr and the girl. The problem with this plot line is that IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE DOME! Yeah, crazy Jr claims that the girl changed once the dome went down, but he could have used any excuse to keep her locked up. And yes he thinks Barbie was fooling around with the girl and Barbie is in town because he got trapped under the dome. But again, crazy Jr could have blamed it on any random guy who happened to be in town.

So every time this plot line comes up I start skipping through most of it. But other than that most of the rest is watchable, but certainly not "must-see" TV!!

9. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh.

Jul 24, 2003
    After this episode, crazy teen boy scenes get ffwd'd through from now on. Girlfriend needs to find something sharp and stab him with it fifty times the next time he visits her.

I like nerdy teen and his sidekick.

Did Barbie sleep in the nude at reporter woman's house?

Paranoid cop got tedious really fast. Hopefully he disappears from the plot now but he probably won't since there's only one cop left.

Why do tv characters always trash the place when they're looking for something? If it were me, I'd leave everything as close to how I found it. That way nobody'd look to see what was missing. I guess burning the house down works as well.
  10. markp99

markp99 TakoKichi

Mar 21, 2002
    I'm not sure I'm in for the long haul on this program; has not caught me yet. I'll give it a couple more weeks.
  11. Gerryex

Gerryex Member

Apr 24, 2004
    The lady who I think runs the diner. She sounds familiar but I can't place her and I could not find her character in IMDb. Does anyone know who she is?

12. CorgiMom28

CorgiMom28 In search of a Title

Jan 6, 2007
    Wasn't she on that Sabrina Witch show a while back?
  13. Azlen

Azlen Active Member

Nov 24, 2002
  14. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    I guess he's not going to Guam.

I thought that I read that one episode = one day under the dome.

So if the show runs a few years, that's only a couple of months "under the dome".
    Since they don't have any cute kids as main characters, they don't have the issue of child rapid aging syndrome.
  15. xuxa

xuxa Active Member

Oct 8, 2001
    The episode took a nose dive on a decent premise. The Jr and girl prisoner story is ridiculous and silly , especially when he goes after Barbie. The news lady is getting annoying. The only story line of any interest is the teenager and him trying to figure out the dome etc.

The fact they could write messages to the people outside the dome folks is lost. As far as the OTD folks not speaking to them is a silly contrivance to help the plot or my bet is the people OTD can't see inside. If that is the case what a coincidence the police officer and the fireman fiance had in the pilot when their hands met.
  16. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    there are a lot of times i haven't read the book before watching the series/movie, but i never quite understood why folks continue to compare them - they're such different mediums and approaches to storytelling, why would anyone expect the two to be similar?

same here, i'm still on the fence, hope it picks up soon.
  17. andyw715

andyw715 Active Member

Jul 31, 2007
    Could be, maybe it became more opaque after it slammed down? Otherwise vehicles OTD would have seen it and not run into it.
  18. SoBelle0

SoBelle0 Go Big Blue!! TC Club

Jun 25, 2002
    The only ones to ignore them from OTD have been military (in appearance), right?

The firetruck saw them. The semi obviously saw nothing. Cows, eh? Who knows what they're thinking.
  19. TonyD79

TonyD79 Active Member

Jan 4, 2002
    The dumbest part is the girl. Nutso boy tells her he is holding her until she acts like his girlfriend again and she immediately tells him she never loved him and will never be his girlfriend. Jeez. Just act nice and get the hell out, dummy.

"We" have seen through the dome, so I doubt it. Plus, didn't they react to the exploding pacemaker?

There are several things in this that drive me crazy:

- Based upon on non-mishap, not-Lupo "knows" that non-battery devices are safe? Yet they start treating the dome like it blows up everything, including farm equipment? Guys, there have been several devices near the dome. Cell phones, walkie-talkies, cars. None of them blew up.

- The idiot town people are squandering resources left and right. Full power for the bar. Driving cars just to drive cars. The whole dome is about 10 miles wide and yet they are driving everywhere. And the radio station is playing music 24/7? Just burn up all that gas. In *any* emergency in the real world, people conserve.

- Sun light and water get through the dome but nothing else? Almost. The radio engineer stuff is quite nonsense.

- Digging has been dismissed even though no one has gone to any depth at all.

This show is poorly constructed, poorly acted and not thought out at all. But it is fun to watch for some reason. Maybe because it is bad.
  20. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TC Club

Oct 17, 2000
    To be fair, his message wasn't that coherent...he also made it clear that he knew she wasn't going "back to normal" until the Dome was gone.

I'm impressed that a chain that thick can be wrapped so finely around her ankle that she can't slide out. She must have REALLY big feet! :D