1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unboxing my TIVO now and had a question

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Blitz28179, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Blitz28179

Blitz28179 Member

Dec 31, 2006
    I got me a TiVo174 Roamio DVR at amazon for $149..I am taking my cable DVR boxes back to charter tomorrow.

Have a quick question.I use the pause and rewinds buttons alot watching sports and was wondering how are these compared to the cable DVR boxes?Can you move the pause menu from the bottom to the top?I always hated that on the cable DVR cause most of the times it was in the way.Anybody know if you can do that on this TIVO model I have?

How about the FF and rewinds buttons? Do you have about 5 speeds for rewind and FF like the cable box or do you have more?

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    No, the displays cannot be moved around on the screen, but you can press CLEAR to remove them.

REW and FF only has 3 speeds (and I only use FFx2 speed at most and its enough)

3. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Wow, 5 speeds for rewind & FF? That's weird, because On Demand only has 2 speeds.. (and 2FF isn't fast enouth)

4. Worf

Worf Active Member

Sep 15, 2000
    The TiVo's 3 speeds are far better than the 5 speeds on the box. First, pressing FF 5 times to "accellerate" takes a really long time, especially with how bad the boxes are at responding.

Plus, the TiVo's speeds are I think x2, x30 and x60, which are quite sufficient - twice speed, 30 times speed, 60 times speed. Combine that with the 15 minute ticks and you can get around the time line very quickly, something the cable box can't do.

In fact, if you see how people use it, the response is so slow they almost always push 5 times out of habit (a LOT of button pushes!), overshoot, then spend the next 30 seconds locating the transition. With TiVo, it's just fast and responsive that hitting it twice to skip commercials or back up is good enough.

TiVo basically picked some utterly reasonable speeds rather than try to offer a bunch of them making it almost useless. Then again, I suppose if the real reason is to deter ad skipping, well, 5 speeds works a lot better because you fuss with it so much.

5. Blitz28179

Blitz28179 Member

Dec 31, 2006
    Thanks for the explanation :up:

6. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I agree. Tivo has perfected FF. It's always been this way since way back with the Series 1 units 15 years ago. You would think other companies would have figured out how to do a better job with this by now.

7. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    ...except that Tivos haven't properly been able to do 1xFF properly on digital recordings since the original S3.. It speeds up and slows down.. often it's really 1x with no sound... and of course they took away (for some supposed technical reason that nobody has explained) the closed captions working at 1xff.. which, even if it was originally a fluke, is something many of us enjoy(ed). I even sometimes transfer shows to my TivoHD just so I have this ability.

8. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    You realize this isn't TiVo's fault, right?
    TiVo can no longer control how the video is encoded now that the signals are digital and recorded "as is".

You are free to blame them for removing CC with 1 X FF, however. That is something within their control.

9. eboydog

eboydog Just TiVo'ing.....

Mar 23, 2006
    My Premiere shows Co's when ffx1.....