1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unable to use Moca adapter with Mini Please Help

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by zubinh, Mar 17, 2013.

1. zubinh

zubinh Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Hi guys,

I'm trying to get an ethernet connection next to my Mini which is in a bedroom away from the router. I want to hook up a PS3 or Roku next to the Mini. I have FiOS with Moca.

When I take the coax from the wall and put it to the input of the Moca adapter and the output going to the Mini, the ethernet connection works but the Mini doesnt have a Moca signal.

When I hook the Mini up directly it connects via Moca just fine but then my ethernet adapter doesnt work. I tried using a splitter with one cable going straight to the Mini and another cable going to the Moca Adapter and when I did that the Mini works fine but still no ethernet. Ethernet only works when I Dont have the mini connected.

Thank you in advance for any help!!

2. HazelW

HazelW Member

Dec 6, 2007
    No. Va
    What happens when you use the spliter and just connect the Ethernet adapter? Leave the mini disconnected and if the adapter works, then connect the mini.

3. compnurd

compnurd New Member

Oct 6, 2011
    If you have Fios you should not need another Moca adaptor....

4. zubinh

zubinh Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    The adapter works if I don't hook it up to the mini. I get a strong Ethernet signal. I need the adapter because I want to use a roku connected to Ethernet in this room. The mini doesn't have an Ethernet bridge like the xl4

5. jmpage2

jmpage2 New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    It sounds like you want the adapter to supply both MoCA and ethernet simultaneously and it might not be capable of doing that.

There is a pretty simple solution to your problem. By a cheap ethernet switch, plug the ethernet connection from the MoCA adapter into the switch and then hook up all devices at the location via ethernet.

6. zubinh

zubinh Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Yes thanks for the idea. I was going to try an Ethernet splitter and connect the Roku and Mini via Ethernet. I just thought that the Mini would work faster over Moca

7. Ruby

Ruby New Member

Oct 22, 2003
    I don't know if this is actually a problem but is the MOCA adapter compatible with FIOS MOCA? I ask because I have seen MOCA adapters that say for FIOS.

8. zubinh

zubinh Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Yes thanks Ruby. It is the Actiontec 2500

9. jfh3

jfh3 New Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Make sure you get a switch, not a splitter.

10. zubinh

zubinh Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    I have the mini connected via ethernet and every 30 minutes it lost a signal. I switched it back to Moca and it has been rock solid. I canceled my order for the ethernet switcher. I am going to try a coax splitter that's rated up to 2ghz. I'll run one straight to the mini and the other will go to the Moca adapter where I can plug in the Roku box.

I'll let you know what happens. Thanks for the suggestions