1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unable to Clear & Delete after Error 51

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by shooks, Apr 29, 2013.

1. shooks

shooks New Member

Apr 15, 2007
    My Series 3 (TCD648250B) died recently, which I first thought was the HDD. I was unable to backup the drive with WinMFS (got an error reading the drive) and the drive failed SMART tests. So I found Unitron's fresh image for my model and started over with a new 1TB drive (WD10EAVS restored with WinMFS). Couldn't get that to work so I replaced the caps in my power supply.

Now the TiVo will boot just fine with the fresh drive and I get through setup without any problems. I then get error 51, which is expected. So I do a Clear and Delete, but the TiVo never boots successfully a second time. After getting through the initial setup it seems like everything is working fine (except the error 51 of course). But then I can't get it to boot again after selecting Clear and Delete, which is necessary to clear the error 51. It just hangs on the initial powering up screen (all lights on the front of the box on). Is this where it would hang for hours during a clear and delete?

Any suggestions? I've used old posts on this forum to get this far and it's been incredibly helpful, but I'm at a loss now. I've got lifetime service on this box so I'd really like to rescue it.

Thanks!

2. bshrock

bshrock New Member

Jan 6, 2012
    - The reboot after the C&DE takes several hours.

- Swap partition too small?

- Normally indicates a power supply or mother board failure.

3. shooks

shooks New Member

Apr 15, 2007
    How big should the swap partition be on a 1TB drive? I set it to 512MB.

I think the motherboard and power supply are ok because it works fine when booting a fresh image and going through initial setup. It's not until I do the clear and delete that it gets messed up.

4. bshrock

bshrock New Member

Jan 6, 2012
    512M should be enough.

5. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Does that image start you out in Guided Setup?

6. shooks

shooks New Member

Apr 15, 2007
    Yes it does start me in Guided Setup, which seems to work fine and then I have working live TV after it's done. But then I get the error 51 message when I try to go to my recordings and can't get it to come back after I do the restart (either from the message or by going manually to Clear and Delete).

7. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Did you disable "intellipark"?

8. shooks

shooks New Member

Apr 15, 2007
    I haven't disabled intellipark but I'll give that a try. I don't have a PC readily available that I can connect SATA to directly though. Time to pull some stuff apart...

9. shooks

shooks New Member

Apr 15, 2007
    Looks like I need a SATA extension cable to use a 3.5" HDD with my little PC case so I'll have to wait until Wed for one to arrive. I hope that's it and will report back. In the meantime, please let me know if anyone else has suggestions to try.

10. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Have you tried restoring the image, going through GS, and then recording something without looking in the Now Playing list first?

11. shooks

shooks New Member

Apr 15, 2007
    Well I'm happy to report that disabling intellipark fixed it. Very good news!

Thanks to everyone for all of your help. I had no idea how to fix this thing when it broke last week and I was able to make a new HDD and fix the power supply - all because of the info here. Saved me a bunch of money and a lot of frustration. You guys are awesome!