1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tyrant Season 1 Thread!!!

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by type_g, Jun 26, 2014.

1. type_g

type_g Member

Sep 9, 2002
    Watched this last night. looks interesting. Was a good setup for rest of the season. Some parts over the top and absurd but enjoyed the first episode.

2. Cainebj

Cainebj Active Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    yeah i was kindof caught off guard by it - generally anything middle eastern terrorist related and i am out

but this got more and more interesting as it went along

i was really enjoying the older brother Jamal's character so that was an unexpected turn of events

plus in this day and age where you can pretty much see everything coming - i gotta say - i did not see that ending coming.

3. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    I saw the premiere by accident, and was impressed. I almost made this thread... kinda surprised there aren't more watching, but then again I barely did.

I actually was expecting both the father and Jamal to die by the end, leaving Bassam to be drafted as leader. That didn't happen, but the ending did reinforce my instinct about who the title character was meant to be.

4. jr461

jr461 Active Member

Jul 9, 2004
    Northern NJ
    I went into this reluctantly but it held my interest more and more as it went along.

I assume spoilers are OK as this is a season discussion based on the thread title. I will tag this anyway just in case, but don't think it should be necessary.

I thought early on that the goofy son was going to do something dumb resulting in political issues causing them to have to stay. I did not see the shooting twist coming but it made the dad's deathbed remark make sense. Some childhood for the doc!

Staying with it.

5. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    I gave it a shot because it's on FX. Interesting enough to keep watching. Could go either way for me.

6. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I figured
    Party Boy would die, and Dad wouldn't let his heir Barry leave.

Then I figured
    with Dad dead, Party Boy wouldn't let Barry leave.

But I never figured
    Barry would end up being the title character!

That's what changed my mind and convinced me to give it more time.

7. squint

squint New Member

Jun 15, 2008
  8. Cainebj

Cainebj Active Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
  9. AeneaGames

AeneaGames Member

May 2, 2009
    His brother died 6 years before his father and before he took over among many other little tidbits that are different (not just the US family thing). But yeah, sounds inspired by indeed.

10. JTAnderson

JTAnderson Member

Jun 6, 2000
    Redondo...
    Gay son headed for trouble.

(But I won't be around to see it.)

11. wtb

wtb New Member

Dec 15, 2000
    St....
    I saw a discussion about the show Tyrant and while on vacation was going to schedule my TiVo to record it. However, it's not showing up. On Tuesday July 22, Taken is on the FX network from 8 to 10 but it is blank from 10PM to midnight when Tyrant is on.

Anyone else see this?

It shows up on the Verizon FIOS TV schedule, just not TiVo.

12. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies

My TiVo has it scheduled to record on the 22nd...

13. Eptiger

Eptiger TiVo N00b

Jan 16, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    In the pilot, why did Jamal rape his daughter-in-law?? I mean, it was practically rape. Just because he's a jerk? Did I miss something?

I'm only through episode 2, but love it so far.

Elton

14. john4200

john4200 Active Member

Oct 31, 2009
    He saw her getting close to another guy, so he claimed he wanted to check if she was a virgin. But mostly I think it was a power trip and a turn on for him.

15. markp99

markp99 TakoKichi TCF Club

Mar 21, 2002
    Nashua, NH
    Guessing they were setting him up as an entitled jerk, creating tensions with his wife.

Good show so far.

16. Hoffer

Hoffer Captain Chaos

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I had no idea what this show was about. Not sure why I started recording it. I guess the title sounded interesting. :)

Saying that, I watched the first 4 episodes yesterday and really enjoyed it. I thought the pilot episode was pretty awesome. I don't think the 3 episodes after it have kept up, but I suppose that would be pretty hard to do.

17. gossamer88

gossamer88 HDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da boogie...
    Really enjoying this as well. This week's episode was especially good.

Couple of issues though. Why isn't the actor who plays Bassam not wearing brown contacts. And Jamal's wife's outfit, not really complaining here ;), but woman from that region aren't suppose to dress like that!

18. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    His mother is English...

19. gossamer88

gossamer88 HDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da boogie...
    All well and good but the actress does not have blue eyes. I guess her lineage does? ;)

20. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Blue eye color is a recessive trait...