1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TWP modules for backup/restore Channel Preferences

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by spitfires, Mar 16, 2012.

1. spitfires

spitfires wassock

Dec 19, 2006
    South Coast, UK
    The "backup/restore" function in both the "Channel Prefs" (channelprefs.itcl) and "Set Channel Preferences" (chanpref.itcl) TivoWebPlus modules do not cater for the new channel structure used in the AltEPG system.

Both have the same issue of assuming that channel numbers are unique, but that is not the case (e.g. all the regional BBC1s and ITV1s).

Amended modules are attached to correctly handle this situation.

(Still doesn't handle having the same channel number + callsign combination on different sources - e.g. if you had BBC1 on 101 on Satellite and also had BBC1 on 101 on Aerial - but why on earth would you want to do that! It would be possible to fix the modules to do this but I can't see the effort is justified.)

Please note: these changes are NOT backwards-compatible so you will not be able to restore any existing saved channel backups you may have. You should do a fresh backup after installing this updated module(s).

Also note: these modules ONLY work with TivoWebPlus 2.1b3.

Credit to mrtickle for pinpointing the problem, and for suggesting I fix it ;)

Installation:
    - delete the ".txt" from the end of the filename (so it's just called channelprefs.itcl or chanpref.itcl)
    - copy (e.g. by FTP) the file into the "modules" directory in the relevant TivoWebPlus directory on your TiVo, and then restart TivoWebPlus.

Attached Files:

2. spitfires

spitfires wassock

Dec 19, 2006
    South Coast, UK
    Ok it seems there are serious problems with using the chanpref module with the AltEPG channel structure - I suggest you don't use it until I've had a chance to fix it ;) You can use the chanelprefs module instead (it doesn't seem to have this problem).

(chanpref assumes there will always be a one-to-one relationship between channel and station which in the AltEPG system is not the case).

3. TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Always best to use the TMSID as the unique identifier when coding this stuff - that's why they did it that way in the first place.

4. spitfires

spitfires wassock

Dec 19, 2006
    South Coast, UK
    Indeed. Unfortunately we don't have those in AltEPG yet.

(p.s. FTAOD, I didn't write this code - I'm just fixing it ;) )

5. mrtickle

mrtickle New Member

Aug 26, 2001
    Birmingham, UK
    With the emphasis hinting tantalisingly on 'yet'. Do you have a spare networked test TiVo, spitfires? I can't remember...

There are some at the moment but not many! You may notice that the station objects in the Lineups have both TmsIds and ServerIds. This is because without them, channel 'moves' and 'deletes' don't work. Poppadum deduced this early enough last year before it was a problem :)

Angra's Season Pass backup module could be modified to fall back gracefully to ServerIds if TmsIds aren't found in the Series objects. ServerIds are consistent between TiVos and could be used instead. You'd be able to back up and restore a set of season passes on a tivo without tmsids or a tivo with. Going from one to the other would be tricky though.

6. spitfires

spitfires wassock

Dec 19, 2006
    South Coast, UK
    I do indeed MrT ...

7. spitfires

spitfires wassock

Dec 19, 2006
    South Coast, UK
    I believe that's exactly what the TWP2.1 version of the season pass backup does. :up:

8. mrtickle

mrtickle New Member

Aug 26, 2001
    Birmingham, UK
    Not only are you right, but the version I had does it too! :up:

There are some nice comments in the credits. It seems there was a collaborative effort to get it working on OzTiVos without TmsIds. Here we are a few years later and they've given us their entire system, and that use of ServerIds is now of benefit to us too!