1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two THR-22 bugs?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Klankster, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Jun 2, 2012 #1 of 36
    Klankster

Klankster New Member

Aug 12, 2004
    Port...
    I'm seeing two bugs with the THR-22 that are really irritating and am wondering if anyone else has seen them:

1) Watching a show with nothing recording, the unit warns that that it needs to change the channel to record a show I have scheduled. It then changes the channel I'M WATCHING to do the recording -- but the other tuner is NOT IN USE! The old Tivo used to warn that it needs to change the channel on the tuner I am not watching to record a scheduled program, which was of course no problem. Or it would change the channel I'm watching if it had to record two programs at the same time, which is OK, obviously. When this bug happens I have to manually re-tune to the channel I was watching, and of course it disrupts the viewing. I cant imagine this bug is in there.

2) This one is UNBELIEVABLY annoying. We'll be watching live TV, and say the phone rings, so we pause live TV to deal with the call. When we finish up with the call, we go to unpause the Tivo and it WON'T UNPAUSE. You have to change the channel up and down to get the show back. But when this happens, if you try to pause again, it will get stuck again and won't unpause. You can also see that no buffer is stored (obvious if you leave it paused for several minutes -- there is no buffer indicated on the timeline) Sometimes, if I change to the other tuner and tune the channel there, pausing and unpausing works again.

I'd like to know if anyone else with a THR-22 has seen these issues. Overall the unit works great but when it does this stuff, it's a royal PITA.

2. Jun 4, 2012 #2 of 36
    TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    1) Mine will do this occasionally, but usually, it is recording a suggestion on the other tuner, so can't change that.

2) This is likely a fault with your machine and not a bug as if it was happening to everyone, you can be sure this forum would be full of complaints. It has been noted that it happens occasionally, but not often enough to even be called a 'bug'.

3. Jun 4, 2012 #3 of 36
    Klankster

Klankster New Member

Aug 12, 2004
    Port...
    Thanks. On #1, I suspected that it was a "suggestion" recording, and since we almost never watch any of those, I turned off the recording of suggested programs. Seems to have stopped the problem.

On #2, I have noticed that when it happens I have been able to correct it by:

1. Tuning to a different channel on the "stuck" tuner
    2. Switching to the other tuner
    3. Changing the other tuner's channel to the one I was watching

Usually this gets things back in order. Darn strange.

4. Jul 2, 2012 #4 of 36
    in2news

in2news New Member

Jul 2, 2012
    I've had a THR22 for about a week. My Series 3 was a far superior product in build quality. I'm now experiencing buffer issues. I can't back up live tv without it locking up. Same issue as others reported. I feel like I'm a beta tester with this box. My Directv Tivo 8 years ago was an amazing product. I wish the folks at Directv and Tivo would get off there asses and make a quality product with the features the consumer wants rather continue this pissing match of money. The Tivo experience is the best in the industry and Directv the best channel lineup. Stop fighting each other and work together...If you build it the people will come. And in the meantime at least issue a patch so this piece of crap works as well as my 2005 Directv Tivo. I'm not even going to address the build quality on the peanut remote. I hope that 12 cents they saved on each one was worth it.

5. Jul 4, 2012 #5 of 36
    jefro

jefro Big Jeff

Jul 4, 2012
    Watsonville ca
    Mine does some of the same things. Only mine records every day at the same time. Says it is recording enhanced content. Has canceled a recordings I had scheduled. Call directv several times they say it is some thing tivo pre-loaded. It does it every day 2-3 times a day.

6. Jul 9, 2012 #6 of 36
    technojunkie

technojunkie New Member

Mar 15, 2000
    Charlotte
    My suggestion list does not show the shows I have placed thumbs up on at the topofthe list. All my previous tivos did. What's wrong?

7. phord

phord New Member

Jun 21, 2012
    Mine does this a couple of times per day.

Today it will not record the Olympics on NBC no matter what I do. It will not pick up a buffer when watching it live. When I record it, it claims to be recording it but it actually records nothing (zero-length program). I tried switching tuners by changing this one to a different channel and then changing the other one to NBC, but it did not help.

Usually I can fix this by simply changing up one channel and then changing back. But this time that is not working.

What a piece of <expletive>!

I can't believe how frustrating this Tivo is. I do think Directv has no interest in making this a successful product. The installer told me it's the first Tivo he has installed.

Argh!

--
    Phil

8. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    I have not seen either of these issues with my THR22, that's not say the issues don't exist.

9. sdaniel105

sdaniel105 New Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Anyone have the problem with sound over HDMI.

Sound fine as long as I leave the TV on. Turn it off and no sound. Picture fine. Pull out HDMI cable and plug it back in immediately and sound comes back.

Have tried turning off Dolby Digital as suggested by others. No luck.

TV Works fine with DirecTV HD DVR. Brand new Magnavox LED/LCD TV.

Any suggestions?

Sean

10. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    This is a common HDMI handshake issue, though I'm surprised that your other DirecTV DVR doesn't have the same problem. I have a THR22 and an HR21, which are identical, hardware-wise, and have no HDMI issues, though both feed an A/V receiver rather than a TV directly. Often when people run into this they find that using a powered HDMI switch cures the problem.

11. mjitkop

mjitkop New Member

Oct 3, 2002
    CT
    I confirm that I have these 2 bugs too. I got four THR22 units installed in June as a new customer. Since almost day 1, one of them immediately had bug #2 with no buffering of live TV and freeze on pause. Until today, this was the only one that had this issue so I was convinced that this particular unit was defective. However, another one experienced the same buffer/freeze issue. I called DirecTV and I was told that this is a known problem and that their "engineering team is working on solving the issue."

Add to the list of bugs:

3) Show not recorded because "the TV signal was not available" (something to this effect) when I know for a fact that this was not the case.

12. jimandre

jimandre New Member

Dec 28, 2007
    THR-22 - Also having problems reported above with frozen pause and clipped/canceled recordings plus a couple more issues.

1. Live TV: no buffer, pause locks, cannot play. Change channel then back, same behavior.
    2. Schedule recording. Periodic no recording or clipped recording ( 4 minutes or so).
    3. Occasional while watching live TV, press record button, does not record.
    4. Occasional, scheduled program records but no video - black screen/no audio for duration of show. Confirmed good channel.

Unable to replicate any conditions that lead to these bugs.
    Long-term Directv Tivo user. Have tried all corrections.

13. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Your #4 is one I have as well. Since we almost never watch live TV, haven't seen 1 and 3, and have not noticed #2.

14. Cantankerous

Cantankerous New Member

Feb 15, 2013
    Having the stuck pause problem now on certain channels. I don't see any solutions. Anyone solve this issue.

15. elmofongo

elmofongo New Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Same issue here. No buffering on certain channels and pausing will wedge.

16. celtic pride

celtic pride Member

Nov 8, 2005
    sorry to see all the problems you tivo folks are having,this reminds me of the conspiracy theory about directv causing all these problems on purpose because they want all the tivo users to switch to their own dvrs (like the genie). Ironiclly i''m thinking of going back to directv next fall,and i absolutely love tivo,But if i go back i think i'll just get the genie. Maybe i'll get lucky and directv will fix the problems by then , better yet i hope they have a 4 or 6 tuner tivo by then so i can still have tivo instead of the genie which seems to be an awesome dvr in its own right.

17. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    For the vast majority of us, the Genie HDDVR and Clients work just fine. Odds are they will for you, too.

18. Sheffield Steve

Sheffield Steve Member

Jun 11, 2010
    All my issues went away when I installed a Band Stop Filer at the receiver.

$4 on Amazon, etc

19. jfpuse

jfpuse New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Just like the original poster's #2 issue, my father in-law was telling me something was wrong with his new THR-22. I saw it for myself.

You pause live TV, then try to unpause it and you get no response. No rewind, no unpause, and you can see that there is no live TV buffer to "rewind" back to even though you had the same channel on for two hours.

The only way we see to get out of it is to change channels away from what is basically a frozen display, then go back to your original channel. However by then you missed the very show you paused.

I tried technical support with no luck. Is anyone aware of this as being on any radar to get fixed? I don't know where else to turn but here for advice.

20. mjitkop

mjitkop New Member

Oct 3, 2002
    CT
    See my previous post from 8/29/2012. When I spoke with DirecTV back then about these issues, supposedly their engineering team was working on fixing the problems. :rolleyes:

7 months later, I'm not convinced that this is the case.:mad: