1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two Premieres, one room, remote question

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by dtyree, Jun 25, 2013.

1. dtyree

dtyree New Member

Dec 24, 2010
    i've searched around but i can't really get a clear answer.

here's the situation, i would like to have two Premieres in the same room.

it sounds like i would need two remotes, each one set to a different remote address.

remote A set to address 1 and Tivo A set to address 1

remote B set to address 2 and Tivo B set to address 2

of course i would to remember which remote controls which Tivo but i can put labels on them

am i thinking right?

thanks

2. MPSAN

MPSAN Active Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    Well, I believe you can do this with 1 Premiere remote but you will have to change the address on the remote each time. It would be easy with the slide switch remotes!

3. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I'd just buy an older remote with the 1-2 switch, and in fact that's how I do it here. I rarely need the ABCD buttons.
    For a while I used a glo remote and a regular to differentiate, but the 1-2 switch remote is the best answer.

4. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    There are folks who swear this is an "easy" way around it, but I'm sorry, I just can't see reprogramming the remote every time I swap between Tivos, which could be a few times in a night if I'm watching recorded shows.

5. MPSAN

MPSAN Active Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    OH, I agree, but I just wanted to mention that it could be done. I would not want to do it either. In fact for a month or two I had a THD and P4 in the same room and used the THD remote switched to #2 for the THD...but #1 would control the XL4 as well.

6. rkodey

rkodey New Member

Sep 15, 2010
    FWIW, I use a Logitech Harmony 650, and can confirm the Harmony software understands the 1-2 addresses and can program accordingly. So, I set up 2 TiVo devices on the remote, one on each address. Then, use the learning feature to add in the missing ABCD buttons, and you get the best of all worlds! Works great!

7. dtyree

dtyree New Member

Dec 24, 2010
    i dug around in my junk box and found one of the older remotes with the 1-2 switch.
    i'll give that a shot. i don't really like the older remote but i'll use if i need too.
    thanks