1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two New Compelling Upgrade Offers..What should I do?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by roachjl, Jun 11, 2013.

1. roachjl

roachjl New Member

Oct 29, 2006
    Hello All I need some advice.
    Here is My Current Setup:
    TiVo HD- lifetime
    Humax DRT800- lifetime
    Series 3- $6.95/ month grandfathered rate.
    I am looking to upgrade to the XL4 and doing away with the DRT800

Here are the option
    1) Transfer the Series 3 $6.95 rate to a new XL4 (which will cost $350 for the box). They then told me I could get lifetime for the series 3 for 99 bucks.

2)XL4 plus lifetime for $699.

Part of me want to go option number one since I will still keep the low monthly rate. It will take 4-5 years to make it worth buying lifetime. If I always have that monthly rate I figure if I want to upgrade to something else down the line, i'll be able to switch it to a new box, which you cannot do with lifetime.
    On the other hand, Who knows how long TiVo will honor the grandfathered rate?

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance.

2. cherry ghost

cherry ghost Active Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago
    Does your transfer offer also include a free MoCA Network Adapter?

If so, I got the same offers and am only considering the $6.95 transfer since it'll take ~50 months to equal lifetime.

3. roachjl

roachjl New Member

Oct 29, 2006
    Yes it does. I'm torn, because I am worried about after a while, if I get lifetime, I will be able to sell the box. Not so much if I keep the monthly.

All of my other TiVo's I've kept for longer that 4 years...

Keeping that 6.95 line of service on my account seems advantageous, but I don't know how long TiVo will honor it.

4. kb7oeb

kb7oeb New Member

Jan 18, 2005
    Phoenix,AZ
    I got the same offer to transfer my service to a series 4 for $99. Is it confirmed the 6.95 price transfers? It doesn't actually say that on the offer. If so it seems like a good deal.

5. achalupa

achalupa Member

Oct 27, 2008
    I got the same offer to transfer service. In my case the TSN it applied to was in the email. In my case it applied to a grandfathered 12.95 TivoHD monthly unit - which happens to be my MSD qualifying unit.

6. roachjl

roachjl New Member

Oct 29, 2006
    I spoke to a tivo agent and he confirmed the 6.95 price will transfer. The free Moca adapter makes it more compelling.

7. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

I'd be tempted to go with option 1 and hope that several years from now you can transfer the rate on the XL4 to a Series 5 or Series 6 and get cheap lifetime on the XL4.

How do you plan to dispose of the Humax?

8. roachjl

roachjl New Member

Oct 29, 2006
    I was going to put it the bay..If someone here wanted it, I could do that too.

9. shwru980r

shwru980r Active Member

Jun 22, 2008
    If the cable industry moves from cablecards to a different standard, the XL4 may become a brick.

10. roachjl

roachjl New Member

Oct 29, 2006
    I went with option 1. When comparing the cost of the two options it turned out to be almost 5 years before I broke even on the lifetime. I'm not even sure I will be alive in 5 years. Or if TiVo will still be a going concern.

11. dnorth12

dnorth12 Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Kent, WA
    I jumped on the xl4 this morning.
    I have an S3 with lifetime and a HD with the grandfathered $6.95 a month.
    Bumping the hd for the xl4.
    Got the mocha with poe, but I am not sure I need it or even sure of its benefit over the wireless G's.
    Was not offered a lifetime upgrade, but probably would have taken it if it had been $100.00 or less.

12. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Your HD went from lifetimed to $6.95 per month?

Did its lifetime move to the S3 (by which I assume you meant an original OLED S3, as the HD is also a Series 3)?

13. roachjl

roachjl New Member

Oct 29, 2006
    I had an original S3. I am transferring the 6.95 rate to a new XL4 and making the S3 a lifetime at 99 bucks

14. dnorth12

dnorth12 Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Kent, WA
    I purchased the S3 with lifetime. The HD that was purchased after the S3 has the grandfathered $6.95 that was moved from the S1 to the S2. I think that is the progression of service, it has been a long time since the S1 and I am no historian on the subject.

At any rate, currently S3 is lifetime and will remain so, HD is $6.95 and will move to the XL4 when it is hooked up.