1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TWC Price increase

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by bobrt6676, Mar 15, 2014.

1. bobrt6676

bobrt6676 Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Huber...
    So, I call TWC last week to lower my internet by $10(slower speed)(from 15mb to 10mb) to save a few bucks. This week I get an insert with my bill, they will be RAISING internet cost by $16/mo. and cable by approx. $4/mo. $20/month increase, REALLY TWC!!! :mad::mad::mad: I guess too many cable cutters so they raise internet costs that everybody uses.

2. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    Where are you located?

3. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Active Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    I didn't think TWC still had a 10Mbps plan. How much are you paying per month for internet? In many markets, Earthlink resells Time Warner Cable internet service, usually at a lower price than what TWC sells it for. Check and see if you can get a better price by switching to Earthlink through Time Warner on the Earthlink website: http://www.earthlink.net/

And if you don't already own your own modem, be sure to buy one so you can ditch the TWC modem rental fee.

4. HarperVision

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    Whoah, I can get Earthlink's 56kbps dial up internet service for only $9.95/month, where do I sign up?!?!?! :p

5. bobrt6676

bobrt6676 Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Huber...
    Dayton,Ohio area. Currently 41.95/mo. (I use EarthLink through TWC) I do not get charged by TWC for the modem. At least not YET. The new price for EarthLink standard will be 57.99. This is the same price as the new Road Runner standard price. And yes EL standard is 10MB vs RR standard which is 15MB

6. HarperVision

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    Do you have fios in your area?

7. tarheelblue32

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    I think you can get Earthlink to give you the lower price again if you just ask them for it. And the Earthlink modem fee should be starting in a month or two so you should probably be looking into buying a modem soon.

8. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    I'm in the TWC SW Ohio region, same as the OP, and got the same notice in my bill today. My internet isn't Earthlink. It's part of a "promotion" bundle that includes TV, and there's no way to even tell what the separate prices are. As I read the notice it says if you are on a promotional deal, your prices won't change until the promotion period ends (one year typically). The standard approach is to call them when your promotion ends and then they come up with a new promotion bundle. I recently did this and got a bundle with a half dozen additional channels and for $10 less than what the renewal of my previous bundle was going to be.

TWC (Roadrunner) standard Internet used to be 10 Mbps but was bumped up to 15 Mbps some months ago.

I find it hard to believe Earthlink could offer much better Internet deals than TWC in our region (since it all comes down the same cables, presumably owned by TWC). One disadvantage of Earthlink I recall is they don't offer fixed IP's while Roadrunner does -- this might be obsolete info.

9. spaldingclan

spaldingclan Member

Aug 22, 2012
    and what does this have to do with the Roamio?

10. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    It's potentially relevant to anyone having a Roamio connected to a TWC cable system.

But I understand your reaction -- I frequently have the same reaction to threads or posts that seem off topic to me. But I'm disciplining myself not to post complaints in those cases.

Because I think there's an argument that you should just ignore threads that you think are off topic, i.e., it does no good to post like you did. Obviously at least four forum members find this thread of interest, so why not just ignore it rather than complain?

Of course if you think the thread is seriously bad, report it to the forum admins.

11. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Makes Comcast's 25M/4M regular Internet service seem like a real bargain with the new TWC pricing ($53.95 here without modem rental though). They are also increasing that to 50M/10M on double and triple play packages without any cost increase.

Scott

12. spaldingclan

spaldingclan Member

Aug 22, 2012
    there's a section called "off-topic-General Chit chat" that this belongs in...you are just adding noise to a very specific HARDWARE section.

13. mpnret

mpnret Member

Dec 4, 2012
    And yet your posting in a thread clearly labeled TWC Price Increase.

14. bobrt6676

bobrt6676 Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Huber...
    Actually I looked for the TWC thread and found it buried in the Series 3 Hardware thread. SO, I sort of brought it to the current hardware Roamio thread. Thought it would be relevant to the thread with all the cable cutter purchase discussions.
    My apologies to the posting police, no harm intended. :D

15. bobrt6676

bobrt6676 Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Huber...
    Not available in my area. Wish it were though.

16. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    TWC added an "Internet Modem Lease" charge of $5.99 to my bill a few months ago. When I called they explained that was to cover the increase of my (standard) internet speed from 10 to 15 Mbps. Of course they didn't come and replace my modem so the charge is ridiculous. This is just a way of increasing prices without technically violating the terms (a fixed price for a year) of my "promotion" bundle.

17. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    But doesn't Comcast impose caps? TWC doesn't. Not sure about Earthlink.

18. tarheelblue32

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    Yes, Comcast imposes a 300GB/month cap last time I checked. No cap on either TWC or Earthlink though TWC....yet.

19. tarheelblue32

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    Buy your own modem to avoid the lease fee. I recommend this one:

http://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Motorol...ie=UTF8&qid=1395002178&sr=8-1&keywords=sb6141

20. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    Interesting. That's DOCSIS 3 and the one they are leasing me is just a 2 (although 2 is good enough for my 15 Mbps-rated service).

At $82 vs. $6/mo lease, my break-even point would be just 14 mos., but doesn't this just give them another place to point the finger when you want support for an internet problem? (I've experienced the finger pointing syndrome in spades with my Tivo and TWC cable TV.) I have had internet problems and they've swapped the modems several times for troubleshooting -- although the modem was never the problem.