1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TWC Los Angeles & Roamio

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Jimlight, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Jimlight

Jimlight New Member

Oct 31, 2013
    After a week of TWC technicians, support calls, searching through this and other sites I still don't have anything close to reliable service using my new Roamio. I've obediently exchanged M-Cards and tuning adapters with absolutely no luck. I still lose most, if not all, channels several times a day.

I simply need to read that somebody... anybody... is successfully using a Roamio with TWC. If so, I'll continue to plod forward. Otherwise, I'm done with all this self-inflicted pain.

:confused:

2. jwbelcher

jwbelcher New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    You may want to specify if you were issued Motorola or Cisco cablecard and tuning adapter. Firmware is also helpful to compare apples to apples.

TWC uses both Cisco and Motorola but typically only one or the other depending on your location

3. Jimlight

Jimlight New Member

Oct 31, 2013
    FW on the cc is 02.65, 02.01, 03.25. If there's a fw version on the TA, I can't locate it in the menu.

4. Jimlight

Jimlight New Member

Oct 31, 2013
    The CC and TA are Motorola.

5. John McKee

John McKee Free

Jan 22, 2000
    Dallas, TX...
    Yep, exact same problem here in Dallas with a Motorola CC and TA. I don't think the problem is limited to Cisco TAs.

6. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Here's information I saved about Motorola equipment that is required for proper 6 tuner Roamio functionality:

TUNING ADAPTER REQUIREMENTS
    For MTR700 you need platform version 01.37 to get 6 tuners.
    Settings-Account & System Info-Tuning Adapter-Tuning Adapter Diagnostics-CODE MODULES

CABLECARD REQUIREMENTS
    Settings-Remote, CableCARD, & Devices-CableCARD Decoder-CableCARD options-CableCARD Menu-CableCARD Status
    Firmware required for 6 tuners:
    FW 2.65
    FW* 6.25

You should check CableCard->Conditional Access screen to see if your CableCard is properly paired. You should see a "V" after Val for properly paired CableCard.
    EXAMPLES:

NOT PAIRED PROPERLY
    Con: Yes EBCP: Yes Val: ? 0x15

PAIRED PROPERLY
    Con: Yes EBCP: Yes Val: V 0x0E

If Con = No then that means the CableCard is not activated

7. Jimlight

Jimlight New Member

Oct 31, 2013
    Just finished pairing another cable card with exactly the same result... exactly the same conversation with the support tech when it again didn't solve the problem. Tomorrow afternoon I have my 3rd TWC service appointment and I intend to have TiVo on the phone (TiVo's suggestion). One way or another, I hope to at least identify who's technology is responsible for this problem. If it's TWC, I intend to open a case with the CA Attorney General about a possible restraint of trade. If it's TiVo, then I need to hear them defend their product.

That, in a nutshell, is why I simply want to know if anyone has got this interface working. Unfortunately, those blessed few probably don't stop by this site as frequently as those with problems.

8. Jimlight

Jimlight New Member

Oct 31, 2013
    Thanks for the information. I match all these variables with the notable exceptions of the CableCard FW which is 02.65, 02.01, 03.25. I'm assuming the "3.25" needs to be "6.25". Val shows as being V 0x2E. It seems the only question I'm ever asked by the support tech is whether there's a "V" after Val.

Now, here's the tough question, how do I get a 6.25 version CableCard? Each of the 3 I've had all show 3.25. Does TWC even know which firmware their cards are running? I called phone support and was told "our cards should automatically update to the most current firmware".

9. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Yes, "Con=Yes" and "Val: V" is all you care about for checking pairing, so you're good there.

For CC firmware my "FW" line is all ---- instead of numbers and next line below it is FW* 6.25, so I don't know how that relates to the "FW" line in yours. You might want to check with TiVo to see if they know the difference. I suspect you do have an older CC firmware than mine but "FW*" is confusing so hard to know for sure, plus we are with different cable companies so it may be customized firmware for Cox that I have.

10. Jimlight

Jimlight New Member

Oct 31, 2013
    t's 4:52, Halloween, late afternoon. I've been on the phone with either one of two Time Warner phone support services 3 times; TiVo's phone support service (twice); getting in my car and driving 10 miles for the distinct privilege of waiting in line for 20 minutes with the deadbeat and disgraced to pickup a new CableCard; 3 times with the CableCard activation service; all while searching and posting to the Tivo Community Forum... since 7:30 this morning. I am on a mission that will be my legacy. I'm single-handedly taking-on The 21st Century Corporate, Media Empire. That's who I am and I will not be denied justice.

11. Jimlight

Jimlight New Member

Oct 31, 2013
    (And I haven't even exposed you to the same, innocuous, numbing 8 bars of "on hold" music that recites like a zombie heartbeat.)

12. uw69

uw69 Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Washington
    Hang in there, we are rooting for you!,,,,:up::up:

13. John McKee

John McKee Free

Jan 22, 2000
    Dallas, TX...
    I would suggest pestering TWC_Help on Twitter as well, they have to power to escalate issues much higher and much faster than your local office or even the Cable Card desk.

14. estrader

estrader New Member

Nov 1, 2013
    i am using TWC and roamio and getting all channels in san gabriel valley (LA cty). i wasnt at first. i spent 2-3 hours and several calls to the help cablecard help desk (NO NOT CALL THE MAIN CUST SVC LINE they have less of a clue).

the issue for me was that the cable card was not paired correctly to the device. also they remotely rebooted my tuning adapter a few times and i was all set.

my issues now are with the DVR itself.

15. Jimlight

Jimlight New Member

Oct 31, 2013
    I've been on with the CableCard authorization help desk at least 8 times. No change.

Notes have been added to my appointment today with instructions for the TWC tech to bring no less than 6 new CableCards. TiVo's latest theory involves both the CableCard and signal fluctuations. Not sure I buy-in to the later. SDV is definitely going to effect signal on some stations. The system is failing intermittently across all stations.

16. Jimlight

Jimlight New Member

Oct 31, 2013
    Just to continue with a thread of the various tests and results...

I spoke again to the CableCard authorization center and connected with a gentlemen that asked me switch the cable FROM the TiVo and plug it directly into the TV. I was able to easily receive a cluster of channels that are unencrypted. Removing the CableCard from the TiVo and trying exactly the same selection of channels resulted in V52 errors, "Searching for signal on this channel".

In brief, why CAN I get these channels directly on my television and NOT when routed through the TiVo?

More to follow...

17. Tony Chick

Tony Chick New Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Sherman...
    I was having V52 errors with my XL4 (I don't have a Romio) here in Sherman Oaks and it came down to signal strength issues which the Tivos seem more prone to because of 4 or 6-way internal splits. Make sure your Tuning adapter is not wired in series i.e. using the RF Out to go to the Tivo. It should have a splitter in the feed from the wall and have one go to the RF In on the TA and the other to the Cable In on the Tivo, the RF Out on the TA should be unused.

18. Jimlight

Jimlight New Member

Oct 31, 2013
    Thanks Tony,
    I agree this is, in all likelihood, a signal strength issue, but for the time being, I'm avoiding the cabling you're suggesting. I've latched onto the first truly knowledgable and committed agent at the CableCard authorization center. He's calling me tomorrow when I have yet another TWC service appointment. He (Patrick) will be calling me to work with the tech when he arrives.

I could certainly end up doing what you've done, but because I also have internet service, I'm hesitant to add another splitter and 3db down of signal.

19. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    Sometimes going through the TA makes the signal drop even more than 3db tho. The general rule of thumb is that the Motorola TAs should usually be bypassed and the Cisco/SA ones are ok to loop thru.

20. questors

questors Member

Jun 4, 2009
    I have Time Warner So. Cal. I never had them pair the CC. I just pulled it out of my old HD unit and put in the new Roameo Pro and I got a "V". I get all of the SDV channels. I do run the cable though the TA to the Roameo. It has a Motorola CC and TA.