1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV Tuner Question

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by hacklert, Feb 18, 2014.

1. hacklert

hacklert New Member

Feb 13, 2014
    I live in central florida using brighthouse networks as my tv provider. I have a roamio plus with a card and tuner attached. I get all the first 100 channels
    perfectly but most the channels about 100 tell me I'm not authorized for
    that channel. I get a few local HD channels but thats about it. I just picked up the tuner add-on about two days ago from the cable company. I didn't know I needed one until then. Is there anything special I need to do after I hook it up to get it to work? I'm not even sure what channels the tuner is expected to pick up. I just know that I'm getting very few channels about 100. Its like I'm only getting the basic channels from brighthouse. I don't have any other cable boxes in my house. Do they only give out the basic channels if you don't rent one of their boxes? Trying to figure this out so I can get the other HD channels that are not tuning in on my roamio. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have not called the cable company yet because I'm not sure what to ask them.

2. moonscape

moonscape Member

Jul 3, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    I can't speak to the tuning adapter since my provider Comcast doesn't use switched video, but ... it sounds as if the cable card isn't paired properly. I'd call Brighthouse tech support and try to get someone knowledgeable about cable cards who can pair it again.

3. AdamNJ

AdamNJ New Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Dunellen, NJ
    You are using a cablecard right? If you pay for more then basic, it sounds like your cablecard isn't properly paired/activated. You are likely seeing the channels under 100 because they aren't encrypted, as such the cablecard basically doesn't do anything other then maybe provide a channel map. CC is used for decryption.

4. Tico

Tico Bear Down Cats!!!!!

Dec 9, 2002
    Huh?

What it should say:

as such the Tuning Adapter basically doesn't do anything other then make the Tivo capable of two way communication so switched digital channels will work, . Cable card is used for decryption.

5. Tico

Tico Bear Down Cats!!!!!

Dec 9, 2002
    Not Authorized is a Pairing/Activation issue.

Channel not available would be a tuning adapter issue.

6. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Active Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    I agree with the above comments. It sounds like your CableCard is not paired. Try to find a CableCard hotline for your cable company and call it. They should be able to go through the pairing process with you over the phone if you manage to get someone that actually knows what they are doing.

7. shrike4242

shrike4242 Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Saint Louis, MO
    It may be paired though the channel map may be set up incorrectly for the card.

I've run into issues with my Tivos where some channels would work and others wouldn't work, though the CableCard is showing that it's paired.

They should double-check the channel map and make sure it's applied correctly to the CC. If not, then un-pair it and re-pair it.

8. AdamNJ

AdamNJ New Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Dunellen, NJ
    hence why i said

that is now how CC are normally supposed to function, but this guy's isn't authorized.