1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV Land, Syndicated Shows - HD Question

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by skruggie, Jan 19, 2013.

1. skruggie

skruggie New Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Here's what may be a stupid question - I"ve been watching syndicated reruns like Roseanne, Cosby Show, etc. on TV Land HD. They play 4:3 on my HDTV.

Are these shows actually broadcast in HD or would it be the same if I recorded them on the standard channel and not waste the HD recording space, or is the picture quality actually better?

2. Eddie501

Eddie501 Member

Jun 4, 2004
    This shows were shot on videotape in the 80's and 90's. They are not HD, but you'll probably get a better picture than you would on the SD channel. Just because it's not as highly compressed. The only way to tell if it's enough to bother you though, is just to alternate recordings between the SD and HD channels and see if you can tell a difference.

3. Cainebj

Cainebj Active Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I was assuming if it is recorded on an HD station it must be recording at HD recording size.

4. skruggie

skruggie New Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Yes that's my point - I don't want to waste the hard drive space if there's no real improvement in picture, if its actually an SD broadcast and it hasn't been upgraded in any way for a better picture quality.

5. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Even an SD up convert usually has a better picture than an SD channel. The pipeline delivering the channel carries more detail so you get less loss (the compression mentioned above) as well as the converters at the source are typically better than any TV or consumer up converter.

The PQ should be better.

6. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    If you watch Hot in Cleveland, I'm sure it's much better in HD than SD. And there are other "new" shows that TV Land airs. Our cableco doesn't offer it in HD, so I can't say for sure...

7. skruggie

skruggie New Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Thanks this pretty much answers my question, looks like if there is an HD channel available I should use that as the source, no matter how old the show is.

8. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    Is TV-Land on HD anywhere? I (sadly) watch a lot of their sitcoms*, and it is the *only* non-HD channel I have any SPs set for. My wife and I joke that due to the demographics of the actors, non-HD is intentional.:D

* Hot in Cleveland
    * Happily Divorced
    * The Exes

9. Bierboy

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    According to THIS it is...

10. Cainebj

Cainebj Active Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I have Time Warner in NYC and we have TV Land in HD. We got it sometime last fall.

11. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    We have TVLand in HD in my market, which I totally appreciate because I watch all the new TVLand shows and I, too, was watching Roseanne and Cosby yesterday and thinking about that. I'm pretty sure that it definitely looks better in 'HD' even if it's not really.

What you can do is pull up the SD channel on one tuner and the HD version of the channel on another tuner and see the difference live.

I watch 'Emily Owens, MD' on the CW channel (I know - I'm probably the only one who likes this show) and, while my CW channel isn't in the HD tier of channels it says it is in HD. I don't think it really is HD, though, but it does look better than it seems like it would in SD.

12. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Heh, I record everything in SD, no matter how *new* the show is.. because of hard drive space!

13. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    "The Cosby Show" was filmed on Panavision 35mm cameras. If they take the original film and capture it to HD (like they did with Seinfeld and like they are doing with Star Trek: TNG) then it will look great in HD, even if it is only 4:3. If they are just playing the old 525-line broadcast tapes, then it will only look slightly better on the HD channel.

Lots of shows in the 80's and 90's were shot on video and will never look any better than they do now. And very few shows shot on film will ever get the financial backing for an HD upgrade. It's not cheap to re-scan and re-edit all of those episodes.

14. Bierboy

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    :confused:

15. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    ive found this to be true...before i had an HDtv i had an HDtivo and the pic looked even better

16. skruggie

skruggie New Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Well,in watching full house on the sd abc family on my old tv, and on abc family hd on my HDTV, they look exactly the same to me. The same for Boy Meets World.

So I have to wonder how much of this so called upconverting is hype and marketing.

17. Cainebj

Cainebj Active Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I like Emily Owens too. I think the cancel button was pushed too fast on that one.

18. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Even with a 2 TB drive installed (which I don't have installed), that wouldn't be able to keep tons of episodes of shows in HD.. I record way more than I can watch during the year, and have tons of new to me stuff to watch in the summer.

Heck, I've been trying to pare down how much I record, and I still wouldn't be able to keep anywhere near as much in HD.

19. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    ITA. IIRC, the show was barely out of the gate before they got out the ax.