1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tuning adapter with cable modem on same outlet

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by jwall29, Sep 28, 2013.

1. jwall29

jwall29 New Member

Aug 29, 2013
    Can someone tell me the proper way to hook up a cable modem, tuning adapter, and tivo using the same outlet.

I recently moved the cable modem/router from one room to the same room as the roamio. I had very few problem with tuning problems with the cable modem in another room, now with it on the same outlet I am receiving quite a few more tuning issues.

It comes out of the wall into a two way splitter. One end goes into the tuning adapter and uses the pass though to go to the Tivo. The other end is going into the cable modem/router.

Is that the correct way or am I missing something?

2. Goober96

Goober96 New Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Anderson, SC
    I'd recommend a 3 way splitter and don't use the cable out on the tuning adaptor.

3. TC25D

TC25D New Member

Aug 21, 2013
    I agree, a 2 way splitter is all you need.

The connection from my TA to the TiVo is USB, not Cable Out.

4. Goober96

Goober96 New Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Anderson, SC
    He's using the "cable out" connection on the tuning adaptor. Has nothing to do with the USB connection which is also necessary. If he was not going to use the "cable out" pass through on the TA, he would, indeed, need a 3 way splitter.

5. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Active Member

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    The cable modem should always be ahead of everything else. In my house the cable goes into a 2 way splitter, with one side going to the modem and the other side feeding everything else in the house. So what you have should work. Maybe you have a problem with the wiring itself. A bad connector might be causing the problem.

6. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    That depends on which TA you're using. The Motorola ones are known to cause issues when looped through, but the Cisco has a built in amp and sends a pretty clean signal.