1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tuning Adapter quits once a month

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Andy D, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Andy D

Andy D Member

Feb 1, 2008
    I have Charter cable and about once every 3 or 4 weeks my Tuning adapter just quits tuning or adapting. The most common message I get while the TA is offline is "channel not available" or Tuning Adapter not connected.

I have 2 TiVo Premieres connected to my TV and both TA's seem to quit at the same time.

The only way to get them to working again is to unplug (power off) for about 10 seconds, re plug and wait for the green light on the TA to quit flashing, then they work OK for 3 or 4 weeks again.

Any solution? Any help much appreciated.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Think the old standby method may work.... which I mean is to use a timer to reset the TA every 3 wks.

3. rahnbo

rahnbo Active Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Florida
    I've seen the same issues since S2. Even now on Premiere and Bolts it seems prudent to reboot everything at at lest twice a month, especially before a vacation or something.

Teeps likes this.
  4. CybrFyre

CybrFyre Member

Mar 25, 2008
    yep.. tuning adapters suck.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

Teeps likes this.
  5. RDCHERO65

RDCHERO65 New Member

Mar 15, 2017
    Reboot just the TA, or just restart the TiVo .. or both? Thx.

6. randywalters

randywalters AVS Old Timer

Oct 21, 2003
    El Segundo,...
    My Cisco TA also stops tuning every month or two, and the green indicator light stays solid so i don't know it's stopped tuning unless i look to see what's on Tivo, then discover the No Tuning Adapter message.

I never have to Restart my Tivo, i just unplug the TA's power cord for a moment and a few minutes later it's tuning again.

I think i once got it working by just pressing the Power button on the front of the TA, but i keep forgetting to try that again. That would be easier than unplugging it.

7. RDCHERO65

RDCHERO65 New Member

Mar 15, 2017
    Thanks, hasn't worked that easy before, usually needs 2 or 3 attempts ... but will try one button again next time (hope not, but probably will).
    But, big question is :
    Why does this continue to be problem and why do we have to reboot ever, let alone once a month?

8. CybrFyre

CybrFyre Member

Mar 25, 2008
    crappy sw on the TA or crappy hw or both. When this has happened to me, I cannot even get into the TA diagnostic screens.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

9. videobruce

videobruce OTA is still alive

Nov 30, 2012
    Buffalo NY
    After talking to their support (which happens to be local to me) a dozen times (lost count), the general conclusion is NOT to reboot the DVR, just disconnect the USB cable, power down the TA, wait 30-60 sec., power back up, but wait for the TA to 'sync up' with the HE, then connect the USB cable. It's less 'confusing' to the DVR that way.

After struggling with those POS's, I finally quit TWC (except for Internet). Rebooting them once a month is ridiculous. If they were designed correctly in a proper sized enclosure, not something 3-4x larger than necessary, it wouldn't be so bad.

10. roseha

roseha New Member

Jun 26, 2013
    New York City
    I may be alone in this, but I disconnected my Tuning Adapter and gave it back to Time Warner a long time ago. I told them disconnecting it wasn't keeping me from watching any channel I was subscribed to. Later I upgraded and I'm still not missing any channels I watch.
    I not only had it going down in the night, but it ran very hot and I didn't like having it. I haven't missed it at all.