1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tuning Adapter Keeps Freezing

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by PLazovich, Nov 17, 2012.

1. PLazovich

PLazovich New Member

May 3, 2006
    I have Cox Cable and have to use a tuning adapter. I am in Southern AZ and my Premier Tivo keeps freezing on channels. I have to restart the tuning adapter and it fixes it. This lasts about 24 hrs and then I have to do it again. Or I just loose upper channels. I need some help. If I con't catch it I miss so recordings because of the tuning adapter not going to the right channels. Cox says their stuff is fine of course they do. Any help here.

Pat

2. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Do like S3 HD owners and put the TA on a lamp timer that shuts it off for a while in the early morning hours or whenever is convenient relative to your recording schedules?

3. PLazovich

PLazovich New Member

May 3, 2006
    I have an HD and it is fine it is the Premier that keeps freezing or loosing channels. Why would one do it and not the other?

Pat

4. PLazovich

PLazovich New Member

May 3, 2006
    Oh and it has done it three times today just randomly while watching shows on the channels above 1013.

Pat

5. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Could be different signal strengths, a bad TA, or a defective TiVo. Substitute the Premiere for the HD. Does it still act up? If it does the problem is the Premiere. IF it doesn't it's either the TA or a signal problem where the Premiere normally is connected.

6. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    Swap the TA locations between the HD and the Premiere and see what happens. Also, have Cox check the signals and tell you what they are in dBmV, You can also check the signals from the Tuning Adapter Diagnostic Menu, Go the the RF Status menu.

There is a link to Cisco TA troubleshooting in my Signature below.

7. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Active Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Also file a complaint to the FCC. http://www.fcc.gov/complaints

If everyone actually filed a complaint everytime they had to reboot their TA or it locked up, maybe the FCC would do something about it. They already said they would monitor it over the year to see if there were still problems with TAs.

8. PLazovich

PLazovich New Member

May 3, 2006
    I will try swapping out the TAs today and see what happens don't know why I did not think of that. Also could it have anything to do with the cable cards being weak?

9. scole250

scole250 Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Goldsboro, NC
    Any thoughts that heat could cause TA problems? The Cisco TAs I have all stay hot. When they sat on top of the Tivos, they got very hot. I now have them elevated an inch to provide better air flow to stay cool.

10. Phil Broughton

Phil Broughton New Member

Sep 24, 2004
    San Diego
    I also have had problems with no long term solution.

You could check my saga and several helpful hints I received and what I did, if you look at:

sandiegohdtv.org

and the following tread:

San Diego HDTV / Pay-TV (Cable, Satellite, U-Verse) / Cox Cable/HSI/VOIP

for the date and topic:

10/17/2012, "Cisco STA 1520 Tuning Adapter Poops Out".

I had previously elevated the TA due to heat, as pointed out; this didn't help, per se.

good luck; if you find the magic potion, please advise!!

11. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    There have been various S3 models with power supplies that were failing and didnt' quite have enough juice to handle everything else and cable cards.

And when those power supplies start to go bad the switching frequency AC ripple doesn't get fully filtered out of the DC outputs, and noise on the power rails can cause all sorts of gremlins.

12. scole250

scole250 Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Goldsboro, NC
    If you go to the TA diag page, what are the tuner, FDC and RDC dBmv levels? Tuner and FDC should be as close to 0 as possible. RDC should be over 30.

13. PLazovich

PLazovich New Member

May 3, 2006
    Hey guys I haven't had time to switch my ta yet but here is the wired thing since i wrote this it has not dropped out once. Does that say maybe it's the cable co. end and their signal coming in??

14. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Possibly but it would have to be a difference between the two drops where your two TiVo's are connected, most likely too weak a signal at the one where your "problem" setup connects. (Since you say your HD has never had problems.)

You can look at signal strengths in DVR Diagnostics, for the two channels currently tuned. What values do you get for the two TiVo's? Also what are the SNR and RS error counts? Are the error counts increasing as you watch?

Look at the tivo.com signal troubleshooting page here:
    http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/150
    For either the HD or the Premiere the minimum sig strength is 50 and the recommended range is 80-99. Based on my experience and posts here I am very skeptical that 50 is sufficient. I think the practical minimum is more like 70. But YMMV. These readings peg at 100 and if more than half your channels read 100, you might actually have too much signal strength which can cause problems too. (It's normal for sig strengths to vary considerably across different channels.)