1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tuner Assigment

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by londawg, May 14, 2013.

1. londawg

londawg New Member

Mar 10, 2013
    San Diego,...
    Hello,
    Maybe somebody can help me on this one. When I press info and scroll down to the tuner info it shows what channels are currently buffer recording, two of the tuners are buffer recording the same channel. Why is this? Is there any way to have it record three different channels besides the current channel I'm watching. BTW they aren't programed recordings, just whats in the buffer. No matter what channel I tune to the other tuners keep recording those same channel.
    Hopefully this makes sense. :confused:

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Pressing LIVE TV button will cycle through the tuners and then you can change the channels for each, but there is really no need to do that, when a recordings about to start, it will use an unused tuner to record from.

3. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    That is not always the case; I've had instances where the alert screen comes up asking if it's OK to change the channel to record...and I'm not recording ANYTHING on ANY of my four tuners....

4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    That comes up if you were on that tuner within the 30 minutes when it needs a tuner to record, even if you were watching on another. Ie. channel surfing.

5. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    if you previously had 2 shows recording on the same channel WITH PADDING, your tuners will end up on the same channel, and still be buffering live TV.

e.g. channel 3 from 8-8:31 and channel 3 from 8:29-9:01 to deal with shows that overlap..
    Then two tuners will be on channel 3.

You can get the tuners to different channels by switching to that tuner and typing in another channel #. It can also be helpful to PAUSE a specific tuner so that you know for sure which one you're on..

But if you up/down channel change to a channel that's already being buffered, it will SWITCH TUNERS. I can see why they do this, but it is semi-annoying for more geeky people.

6. londawg

londawg New Member

Mar 10, 2013
    San Diego,...
    Well, I figured out how to set them so my three favorite channels are recording in the background (buffering) at any given time.
    I chose three of my three favorite channels i watch all the time and started simultaneous manual recordings for just a minutes or so then stopped the recordings. Now anytime I'm watching TV those channels are recording 30 mins to the buffer in the background. Obviously if you record lots of different channels this wouldn't work for you.

7. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    As I said....it DOES happen....