1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Breaking News - Word is the sale is coming back... "Our “once in a lifetime” PLS promotion was such a hit, that we’ve decided to launch it again! It will be announced today that the PLS Transfer Sale will be available again for the last 3 days of the month. This will include the BOLT+ 3TB, and 4 refurb units (BOLT 500GB, BOLT 1T, Roamio Pro and the TiVo Mini)."

Trying to understand the value of built-in WiFi

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by TBoyd, Aug 20, 2013.

1. TBoyd

TBoyd Less Cable, More Net

Apr 9, 2000
    Silicon...
    Unless I'm a non-technical user that has NO wireless router in their house, what is the value of built-in WiFi in the new Roamio units? Doesn't seem to be a benefit for tablet or smartphone as remotes or viewing.

Possibly...

- Enables quicker transfers between Roamio <-> Roamio/Mini/Stream units around the house?
    - Just removes requirement for Ethernet cable in config? (Tivo <-> Router)

What am I missing here?

Thanks,
    Tim

2. waterchange

waterchange Member

Jun 29, 2010
    For those who don't have hardwired ethernet ports in their house, a Roamio could use this connection to download guide data & updates via your wireless network without requiring you to purchase a separate wifi adapter.

3. zundian

zundian New Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Yeah, it's not that it's providing Wi-fi, it's that you don't need to buy an adapter as with older units.

4. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    Minimal - with MOCA available it makes little sense to add it, so much functionality is unsupported with WIFI...

But the 12 year olds on the tech blogs keep bitching about it - so it was probably a cheap add.

5. TBoyd

TBoyd Less Cable, More Net

Apr 9, 2000
    Silicon...
    OK, Thanks all!

6. dswallow

dswallow Save the Moderatоr TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    MOCA still requires you add another adapter to your setup (unless you already have MOCA connectivity for your internet, of course). For someone who isn't going to care about live streaming between TiVo devices, WiFi is an easy solution, and while it may not be universal, it is easily available to most anybody, probably for less than the cost of a MOCA adapter and usually less costly than it would take to install in-wall wiring. And possibly even cheaper for many people than buying wiring and just laying it on the floor. :)

7. tivogurl

tivogurl New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    That's basically how I'll use it. My current TiVo has a hardwired connection to my router, which would be nice to get rid of. Besides, guide data & updates don't really need the extra speed.

Does TiVo use WiFi Protected Setup for the builtin WiFi? I'd hate to have to type in my router's WPA2 password using TiVo's clunky interface.

8. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    It supports security standards, yes. The password only needs to be plugged in once.

9. tivogurl

tivogurl New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    So it doesn't support WPS. The whole point of WPS is that you don't need to type in the password.

10. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I always tpye in the password. I never use WPS on devices that have it. That is one of the features I've always disabled in my routers.

11. trip1eX

trip1eX Active Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Why would it be nice to get rid of your hard wired connection?

Unless you plan on moving your router or something then I can see it I guess.

But as far as streaming to an ipad goes it would be better I think to keep the Tivo hard wired. Otherwise you are using twice the wireless bandwidth to stream something. Wireless bandwidth is not always in great supply. Not that this is an application you care about.

12. trip1eX

trip1eX Active Member

Apr 2, 2005
    But obviously the built-in wifi is for guide data for anyone without a router or ethernet network next to their Tivo which I would assume is the majority of consumers. It makes your Tivo ready to go out of the box.

wifi direct also a possibility ( without knowing if the included chipset actually supports this or not.) But if so then you would get more latency-free control of your tivo via a mobile device than you can now.

13. tivogurl

tivogurl New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Less clutter. Fewer wires to route, untangle, and get horribly dusty. I have a 1-bd apartment so streaming isn't an important consideration.

14. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Can you bridge the Moca with the built in Wireless like I do now with a RJ45 and Moca on the TP-4, saves buying a Moca adapter.

15. trip1eX

trip1eX Active Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Oh sorry were you running a cable across a room or something? I forgot that is an obvious reason to get rid of a hard wired connection. I had a few wires running across a room when I moved to my new place until I wired my house for cat6. I just imagine I would connect a long wire once a week overnight to my Tivo instead of buying a Tivo wifi adapter. ;)

I mean otherwise would clutter really be reduced by having 1 less wire when you have to have at least 2 wires as it is? ;)

16. tvn

tvn New Member

Sep 29, 2002
    New Jersey
    Great point. I needed a MOCA adapter near my router for the P XL4 in the other room (because there was no internet in my main viewing area). Since it's wireless, do I still need a MOCA adapter near my router or does the wireless take care of that?

17. Philmatic

Philmatic Member

Sep 17, 2003
    If you don't have a Wireless router then built in Wireless doesn't benefit you at all.

18. tivogurl

tivogurl New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Not substantially, I suppose.

19. trip1eX

trip1eX Active Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Confuscious says ......

20. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Great point. I needed a MOCA adapter near my router for the P XL4 in the other room (because there was no internet in my main viewing area). Since it's wireless, do I still need a MOCA adapter near my router or does the wireless take care of that?

I am assuming that he has a wireless router, my question is can you bridge the wireless with the Moca that built in the Roamio.

Can we use R-4, R-6, R-6pro when talking about the Series 5 Roamio ??