1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to set up 2 Mini's with a WiFi extender.

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by selimsnave, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Mar 1, 2014 #1 of 13
    selimsnave

selimsnave New Member

Mar 1, 2014
    So I just bought a Roamio, can't use it just yet because I went to my cable provider and they didn't have any working cable card. My brother is gonna buy a mini and he has a hard wired ethernet connection in his room. My mom/dad and my sister, the two rooms where I need to put the minis has no ethernet ports.

I was thinking of buying a Moca adapter http://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Ethernet-Adapter-Service-ECB2500CK01/dp/B008EQ4BQG/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top I think that's it. Or I could buy an something like this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/universal-wi-fi-range-extender-with-4-port-ethernet-switch/1243081.p?id=1218240386270&skuId=1243081&st=pcmcat257000050023_categoryid$pcmcat161100050044&cp=1&lp=2

I don't know if either of those are fast enough to distribute the signal from my Roamio (that's connected via wifi.) I would like to go with an extender because it's cheaper, but if the moca is THAT much better its not a problem to go with it.

Right now I have Time Warner internet, 30mbs down, 5mbs up. But I plan to upgrade to the 50mbs down, 5mbs up plan.

Edit: Just found this, would it work? http://www.amazon.com/RCA-DH24SPF-T...3720093&sr=8-1&keywords=netgear+coax+ethernet

Let me know what I should do! Or even if I should get the mini's at all, it might be too much hassle.

2. Mar 1, 2014 #2 of 13
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Which Roamio do you have? The Roamio Plus/Pro has MoCa built-in and you would only need a MoCa adapter on the cable modem/router side. The Minis can use just the coax to connect.

Wireless/Wi-Fi is not recommended for mini. Splitters are needed as well.

3. Mar 1, 2014 #3 of 13
    selimsnave

selimsnave New Member

Mar 1, 2014
    I have the regular Roamio. So that means I need to buy a moca for MY roamio, then one for every mini?

4. Mar 1, 2014 #4 of 13
    Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    The mini already has MoCA built-in, so you just plug it in. My XL4 and Minis are all using the built-in MoCA, it works great.

5. Mar 2, 2014 #5 of 13
    selimsnave

selimsnave New Member

Mar 1, 2014
    So I just plug the Mini directly where I would plug into my cable? I thought I needed a moca adapter.

6. Mar 2, 2014 #6 of 13
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Plug the coax directly into the coax jack, if you have MoCa on the modem/router.

7. Mar 2, 2014 #7 of 13
    selimsnave

selimsnave New Member

Mar 1, 2014
    Ok, I am a little confused. So I don't need a Moca for every Mini I have? Just one Moca thats hooked up to my router, and then plug in the Mini to regular coaxial.

8. Mar 2, 2014 #8 of 13
    d_vail

d_vail New Member

Feb 14, 2014
    If your roamio doesn't have built in moca and can't connect to the router via Ethernet, then for your setup you would need a two pack of moca adapters. One would plug into coax and to router, the other by the roamio to coax and Ethernet to roamio. The minis have built in moca so only need either Ethernet connection or coax. No moca adapter needed for minis.

9. Mar 2, 2014 #9 of 13
    eboydog

eboydog Just TiVo'ing.....

Mar 23, 2006
    Assuming your Roamio basic is already connected to your ethernet home network, you should only need 1 MoCA adapter, yes the Mini already has MoCA.

The wireless in the Roamio isn't fast enough to run the Mini's, you will need to hook it up your Roamio to your home network either by ethernet or by a MOCA adapter which if you can't get ethernet to it, then you will need another MoCA adapter.

Some people have head success using a wireless bridge but typically into the newer high speed AC wireless bridge which are not cheap (Moca adapters are much cheaper).

FYI last time I checked, Tivo.com had the best price for a two pack Actiontec adapter package ($89). You should also get a poe MoCA filter which is installed were the cable enters your home right before the cable splits to any addtional cable runs, this prevents the MoCA signal from escaping outside your house and it can increase the performance by filtering any interference from a outside source, Tivo.com has those too.

10. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Read my post. "The Mini already has MoCA built-in...".

The rest of the network configuration to the Roamio and the router has been well explained by posts above as well.

11. 2trill4925

2trill4925 New Member

Aug 1, 2009
    You can get away with using N spec equipment possibly. I run a Airport Express hardwired to a WRT600N. The Airport Express gives me a dedicated SSID with enough bandwidth for the Mini (connected by ethernet to a WGA600N). With the setup I now have a quad band router, however I sacrifice a Gigabit port. In my experience I had the worst time with DD-WRT and Tomato devices as my main router (they function okay as receivers though).

YMMV

12. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    If you can use MoCA or hardwired CAT-5, use it. If you absolutely, positively can't, give a wireless AC bridge a try, but it's not guaranteed to work. Would sure be interesting though.

What? I've used Tomato on a Linksys router for years, and it's rock solid. It's a WRT-54Gv.1 from like 2004 or 2005ish, and it's still going strong. And "quad-band" is impossible. There are only two chunks of spectrum that wifi runs on. You could have two in each, but that's just two dual-band networks, not quad-band. And gigabit ports aren't worth much with 8-port switches at <$35.

13. 2trill4925

2trill4925 New Member

Aug 1, 2009
    I stand corrected as far as running a quad band setup.