1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Treehouse Masters - Anyone Watching?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by tivoboyjr, Jul 15, 2013.

1. tivoboyjr

tivoboyjr Unregistered User

Apr 28, 2003
    This show is on Animal Planet. If you're into tricked-out treehouses, this is the show for you. My kids love this show!

The stuff they do is very cool, and the way it's presented, it looks pretty "easy," as in it looks easier than I thought it would be to build a mega-treehouse. But I know these guys are treehouse professionals, and it is TV, and it really isn't so easy.

The worst part of watching this with my kids is having to explain over and over why I can't/won't spend $100,000 on a treehouse.

2. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    $100K? That's the cheap one! There was one a few weeks ago that busted a quarter of a million. $250,000+! :eek:

I love this show. Sure it's over-dramatized for the effect, but it's just fun to watch. I love Pete and his infectious enthusiasm. And his crew is a blast. Characters all.

And these treehouses they build!!! OMG! O.M.G. Bathrooms, little kitchens, this week had a deck to grill on. And the 200 foot bridge!

I want a treehouse!

3. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    Been watching since the premier and really enjoying it. Their enthusiasm is contagious. The prices do seem a bit extreme.

4. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Geocacher

Mar 5, 2002
    Franklin, TN
    I've never heard of it, sounds pretty cool. Setup to record an episode tomorrow and will check it out.

5. Frylock

Frylock Live Long and Tivo!

Feb 13, 2002
    Round Rock, TX
    It's a great show. The wife and I both love it. These houses cost INSANE amounts, but they are really, really cool.

6. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    I've seen two random episodes that I stumbled across. One was the Irish Cottage and the other was a brewery. Cool show, I just wonder how long they last. It seems they use large bolts that are drilled into the tree, wouldn't that damage the health of the tree? I can't imagine spending so much money and then having the tree die.

7. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    I stumbled upon this series last week (I think there was a marathon) and my older son (7) and I watched a few episodes and enjoyed it. We set up a season pass.

How do they deal with the fact that trees grow? Won't the branches slowly draw and quarter the treehouses over time, as the trees get bigger and the branches move and spread?

My son's comment, after watching, was "I wouldn't want a treehouse. You know why? No wi-fi."

8. Frylock

Feb 13, 2002
    Round Rock, TX
    That's what the tree bolts are for I believe. I think it's designed to handle the growing of the tree(s), both up and in circumference. They are adjustable I think to handle the tree growth over time.

9. jradosh

jradosh Newlywed

Jul 31, 2001
    Herndon,...
    The episode I saw had rods through the tree trunks (which the guy said made the trees stronger as long as they fit tight) and then the beams were attached to the rods with sliding tracks that allowed for growth, but mostly for the natural sway of the trees.

The biggest questions I had with the designs I've seen...

1. why did they run the plumbing down directly under the tree house (unsightly) instead of incorporating it into the stairs or ramp?

2. the Irish cottage, it looked like they simply left the roof garden in the plastic containers and there's no way those plants would survive that way (they'd become root bound). I wonder if that was just a quick assembly for TV and later they actually made a real roof garden?

I do want a tree house now. :)

10. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    I need to pay closer attention. The one I was thinking about, particularly, was not one they built, but one he visited. I think it was called "the hotel" or something like that. It was a 10-story structure with dozens of smaller rooms, and it looked like the tree (or trees) passed directly through many of them.

11. billboard_NE

billboard_NE North Shore MA

May 18, 2005
  12. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    This week's episode had me scratching my head. A 200 foot ladder? That should have a plaque at the bottom with the names of local attorneys to contact after you fall and break every bone in your body. Also, in liability terms I would think it would be considered an "attractive nuisance". From Wikipedia:

In the law of torts, the attractive nuisance doctrine states that a landowner may be held liable for injuries to children trespassing on the land if the injury is caused by a hazardous object or condition on the land that is likely to attract children who are unable to appreciate the risk posed by the object or condition. The doctrine has been applied to hold landowners liable for injuries caused by abandoned cars, piles of lumber or sand, trampolines, and swimming pools. However, it can be applied to virtually anything on the property of the landowner.

In their situation, there are likely to be children in the families renting other treehouses on the property and the ladder would be attractive to many of them.

13. Frylock

Feb 13, 2002
    Round Rock, TX
    I thought the same thing. Well, first I thought who would risk climbing that, but I also noticed that to get to the ladder, you needed another ladder. I think they did it like a fire escape ladder, where the ladder is from 20 ft up the tree to 200 ft up the tree. So walking through there you can't just climb it. They must need to set it up for you, and when they do, they put you in a harness.

14. Hoffer

Hoffer Captain Chaos TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I caught a couple episodes of this show over the weekend. I really enjoyed it. Setup a season pass to record old and new episodes.

15. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    The new season has been confusing. All of the ones so far have actually been repeats from last season, with some added tweets and behind the scenes footage. I think the first truly new one will be tomorrow: Black Bear Bungalow.

16. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    So this show is actually on Animal Planet? I ran across this show a few weeks ago and setup a Season Pass. But it has been airing the first season on The Discovery channel. I guess I need to create an SP on the Animal Planet channel to catch the new episodes.

17. Hoffer

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I ran into this problem. I saw the show on Discovery and set a SP there. I then figured out last night, the show is actually on Animal Planet. So, I changed the SP.

Animal Planet's tagline is funny. "Surprisingly Human" It is an animal channel with reality shows about people. :D

18. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    I watched this last night - wasn't incredibly impressed with the Christmas house but loved the one up in Alaska on the edge of the hill. I can't imagine actually living there in the winter, but it was a beautiful view.

They said that the guy had scoped out some land, built the treehouse and now because of his living there he can claim the land. Is this true? I may be missing something in the process. I was actually switching between this show and Love it or List it.

19. Hoffer

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    He called it homesteading. Basically, there is a ton of land in Alaska that nobody has claim to. I guess if you build a house on a piece of land, you can claim it as yours.

20. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    They've been rerunning the first season, but they gave it a new name, something like "Treehouse Masters Revisited" or something just different enough that it seems new.

I think the first actually new episode of S2 was two weeks ago, the Indiana Jones adventure house, set in the Poconos.

Did look pretty cool!:up: