1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transferring Tivo Recordings to Laptop

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by merchantivory, Mar 10, 2006.

1. merchantivory

merchantivory New Member

Jan 8, 2003
    I just bought a Series 2 for the sole purpose of transferring Tivo recordings to my video iPod. (The rest of my units are DirecTivos.)

This may be a dumb question, and my apologies if it has been asked and answered before:

Can I transfer recordings directly to my laptop without creating a home network -- preferably with a straightforward USB connection? I have no need for a home network, and I would like to avoid the hassle of setting one up unless it's absolutely necessary.

2. dcahoe

dcahoe TiVoPlayList Author

Jan 28, 2006
    Louisville, KY
    Sure you can. You cannot go straight USB though, you need to get a USB to ethernet adapter. And you will need an ethernet crossover cable (instead of the normal ethernet straight-thru patch cable). These are available at places wherever the cables are sold, just look for a crossover. Or if you make your own you can find the wiring pinouts by doing a search.

You will also need to set up fixed IPs for both the TiVo and your laptop in the same subnet range so they can see each other because you most likely won't have a DHCP server to assign IPs automatically.

3. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    The TiVo only understands network adapters, so you will need a USB ethernet adapter and a crossover cable.

4. mrjam2jab

mrjam2jab Still Learning

Jul 23, 2004
    Levittown, PA
    Does the laptop have a built in wireless adapter? Mayhap just setup a peer-to-peer btwn the tivo and the laptop????

Just a thought.

5. CaccaMucca

CaccaMucca New Member

Jun 1, 2005

If it is a new laptop, it might even do a MDIX, which means that cross over cable is not needed.

6. spider1943

spider1943 New Member

Feb 3, 2006
    I have a Tivo 2 in one room and a Tivo 2 Humax w/ DVD record in another, my problem is when I transfer to the Humax I can not burn program to DVD. The indication is that the two formats are not compatable. Is there something that I can do to make this possible?