1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transferring .Tivo Files Back to Roamio Pro = Sluggish Live TV

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by filovirus, May 23, 2014.

1. filovirus

filovirus New Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Colorado
    I just realized that I did not set keep until I delete for Season 4 of the Walking Dead and it isn't on Comcast VOD. Episodes 1-6 are missing, but I have the .Tivo files on my mac.

I installed pyTivo and the Roamio Pro can see the files. When I start to transfer back from the mac, Live TV is impacted, with choppy picture and even freezes saying it is looking for signal.

I suppose I could transfer them when going to bed, but thought I would check here for a better solution. Is there a better way that doesn't impede live tv or a way to stream the .tivo back to a Tivo box without having to transfer the whole 5-6 gig file?

Thanks,
    Filo

2. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    It's a bug introduced with 20.4.1 TiVo software where it dedicates too many CPU cycles to transfers even at the expense of video decoding. There is no workaround to the issue other than trying to throttle the transfer speed to the Roamio somehow.

3. filovirus

filovirus New Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Colorado
    Not sure how to throttle speed cat6! Any suggestions would be appreciated. I sent a .mpg file of the .tivo and it seemed to work better.

4. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Certain routers you can use QOS rules to limit speeds for certain devices.

5. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    The transfer speeds are also slower with the current software. It was much faster before.

6. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    You could route it through a 10/100 switch. (I haven't noticed this problem on my base Roamio, which only has a 100 Mbps port.)

Yeah, the TiVo has less work to do in that case (no decryption step). It's always been slightly faster.

7. Azlen

Azlen Active Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Peoria, AZ
    It's not just the live TV on the Roamio that gets sluggish. Trying to change channels or do something with the Mini's while a transfer is occurring also is incredibly sluggish. I've had to give up on PyTivo pushes while the kids are watching on the Mini if I don't want to hear yelling about the TV not working right.

8. jwbelcher

jwbelcher New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Transfers (MRV) from my TivoHD cause my Roamio to become sluggish. Given the speeds of the old series 3 transfer, that should be pacing transfers very slowly, but still encountering the problem.... They're on the same 10/100 mb switch (netgear) for what its worth.

9. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Yes. The issue has zero to do with the transfer speeds. With the previous software the speeds were over 50% faster in my setup. But now it is much slower and can cause issues like mentioned which did not exist before