1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transferred TiVos in My Account

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by PoobBubes, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Oct 2, 2013 #1 of 22
    PoobBubes

PoobBubes Member

Jun 30, 2010
    I sold two Premieres on eBay and the lifetime service was transferred about a week ago. These units still show up in My Account on tivo.com. Will they eventually go away?

2. Oct 2, 2013 #2 of 22
    ciucca

ciucca New Member

Jun 29, 2004
  3. Oct 2, 2013 #3 of 22
    lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    If you paid TiVo for the activation the unit(s) will stay on your account page forever as you can look up the order for that activation forever, but if you purchase a lifetime TiVo from somebody (not TiVo) than when you sell that TiVo it will move out of your account.

4. Oct 4, 2013 #4 of 22
    DarlingPicky

DarlingPicky New Member

Oct 4, 2013
    I'm having a similar problem - my old premiere that I sold to a guy on CL is not only showing up on my account online, but also in the dropdowns within the ipad app. Would much prefer if it only displayed the tivos I actually still own in the app (don't care as much about the website). Any ideas?

5. Oct 4, 2013 #5 of 22
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    In the app there are two options. You can log into your tivo.com account or just use the local MAK. The first shows all TiVos listed on your account. The second option polls your network and only shows the TiVos you actually have.

6. Oct 6, 2013 #6 of 22
    DarlingPicky

DarlingPicky New Member

Oct 4, 2013
    Problem just solved itself. My monthly service must have just run out and the new owner registered with his account. It no longer appears in my "active" tivos list.

7. Oct 9, 2013 #7 of 22
    ciucca

ciucca New Member

Jun 29, 2004
    Nope. I have 3 TIVO's I sold all of them have been showing on my account for years and they are all lifetime units.

8. c3

c3 TiVoholic

Sep 8, 2000
    Silicon...
    They're still in your account because you paid TiVo for the lifetime subscriptions, exactly what lessd said.

9. SugarBowl

SugarBowl Member

Jan 4, 2007
    Cary, NC
    Go to 'Device Preferences' and it shows the tivos that are truly on your account.

10. buscuitboy

buscuitboy New Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area
    I have some lifetime TiVos on my account that i would like to get off. Can I maybe create another account and then have them moved to this account? Or will this not work?

11. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    Moving to a new account gives you new a new MAK, which could cause issues if you watch .tivo accounts on your pc. Why go through the effort just to clean up a web page view?

12. Tivogre

Tivogre Active Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Springfield, VA
    I currently show 16 TiVo devices on the "My Account Page".

Only 11 of those are currently active (all lifetime) on my account.

The remaining 5 are MONTHLY unit that I sold. They no longer have a subscription (that I am paying for, at least), so I don't know why those are still showing up.

In any case, I got no complaints from TiVo when the 11th device went active.

13. Thos19

Thos19 Member

Dec 31, 2002
    Rockland, MA
    My account page has long gone TiVo's listed as well.

The fact that TiVo can't figure out how to fix something that appears so simple, is baffling.

14. buscuitboy

buscuitboy New Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area
    yea, I am aware of this, but I guess I should have expanded a bit more. These lifetime TiVos have been sold and are no longer in my possession anyway. It would be MUCH easier to manage and online program for MY needs if my account wasn't cluttered with numerous TiVos I no longer have in my possession.

15. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    So for you sold/inactive tivos show up in the drop downs for season pass manager and online scheduling? My experience is that they only show up on that single account page.

16. Tivogre

Tivogre Active Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Springfield, VA
    In the past, I have sold lifetime units, and the owners never bothered to move them to their own accounts.

To solve the issue, I would schedule huge marathon season passes (Spongebob, Smurfs, Rosanne) relentlessly filling the units with garbage until they (presumably) called TiVo and had them moved over to their own accounts.

17. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    I just create a fake TiVo account using an old non activated TSN, log out when TiVo asks for my Credit Card, then I have an account, call TiVo and xfer that TiVo into that account, you only have to do this once then after 90 days if the new owner does not xfer the TiVo I xfer the TiVo into that fake account.
    Been working for many years, but does not solve the old TiVos showing up on the account page, that because you paid for the service on those TiVos and you can look up what and when you paid for each one, TiVo does not want your Credit Card going with your xfered TiVo.

18. todd_j_derr

todd_j_derr Member

Jun 6, 2000
    Pittsburgh,...
    Yeah, I just emailed (again) and asked about this since I've now sold 3 TiVos that still show up in my account. I got back this bogus sounding answer:

"These TiVo devices have Product Lifetime Service and our still on your Manage My Account for security purposes. If you would like them removed you would need to contact the new owners of these TiVo devices and have them change the credit card information."

I know for a fact that they have all been activated on another account, why wouldn't they just take care of it then? If there's some issue with exposing the CC# that was used for the initial order, why not just change it to all zeros or some other bogus value when it is transferred? although, this is pretty far down on my irritation scale.

19. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    TiVo does have a problem with this CC attachment to each Lifetime TiVo, as one day about a year ago I got a $200 credit on my Credit Card from TiVo, for no reason I could think of, about 2 weeks later I did get a call from someone in TiVo accounting dept. about letting them charge my card back the $200 (I had just gotten an new card with a new exp date), so I let them, but asked how this happened, it was a credit for the person that purchased my TiVo and had xfered it to his own account, but the only CC on that TiVo was my CC so I got his cr (TiVo did not tell me what the cr was for). Nutty system for a big company.

20. mcf57

mcf57 Member

Oct 19, 2012
    GA
    I am in a similar situation. I like this idea & have implemented it. I was even wondering if the old lifetime Series 2 I sold over a year ago was still running. I know it has a lineup from TX, but I just went and scheduled some shows to it. In addition to the initial emails acknowledging I made the requests, I also just received email confirmations that ALL the shows are now scheduled to record so I guess the person is still using it and its still working. Will see if this maybe "motivates" them to get it on their own account.