1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transfer from TiVoHD to Roamio fails

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by JeffKusnitz, Dec 22, 2013.

1. JeffKusnitz

JeffKusnitz Member

Apr 9, 2008
    I bought a Roamio yesterday. Setup took just under two hours.

I wanted to copy a bunch of shows from my TiVoHD to the new box. They're both connected via Ethernet (to a switch that is connected to a router). From the Roamio now playing list I see the TiVoHD, but when I select it, I get this error:

The living room dvr's shows could not be displayed because of a network problem.​

Does this look familiar to anyone? The Roamio system status TiVoToGo says "a,a,a,a" (yes, there are four of them), the TiVoHD says "a,a,a" if it helps. The Roamio Whole Home Advanced Help sees both boxes and thinks that transferring recorded shows is supported.

Thanks

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Reboot both boxes, that should fix it.

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Make all your Tivos connect to the Tivo Service. They need to register the new Tivo to work together.

4. JeffKusnitz

JeffKusnitz Member

Apr 9, 2008
    The reboots fixed things. I queued up a bunch of transfers. Apparently there is a limit to the number that can be queued, after a bunch were queued (I didn't count), the "press select to transfer" button became "cancel transfer" no matter what show I selected.

Thanks

5. JeffKusnitz

JeffKusnitz Member

Apr 9, 2008
    I stand corrected. One show transfered, no others, and apparently nothing is queued either. I just tried to queue up another show and after I "pressed select to transfer" I got a message that the roamio couldn't connect to the TivoHD.

After a reboot of the TiVoHD, things are progressing, albeit slowly :)

6. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The TiVo HD is really slow at transferring. Be prepared to be doing this for a few days.

7. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Not by too much.

Using Wireless(g) only, a S3HD (652) transfers at about 3Gb/hr.
    a roamio, on (N) does 10Gb/hr. (Actually these are my speeds.)

8. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Well that's a terrible comparison because you're limited by wifi. On Ethernet a Roamio is gigabit and can run at like 200Mbps which is like 90GB per hour.

But in any case my point still holds. An average HD recording is between 4-7GB per hour, so at 3GB per hour it would take about 1.5-2 hours per hour of programming. Plus the queuing itself is tedious and can take time.

9. ltxi

ltxi New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Colorado
    OP said he was using ethernet.

That said, transferring from an S3 was slower than from an S4 when I set up my two, new S5s....all hardwired.

10. shaown

shaown Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Keep in mind a TivoHD is slowed than the original S3 OLED for transfers. Its annoyingly noticeable.
    Before streaming was fully supported - I hung to my S3 the longest as a transfer only machine.

-Shaown

11. JeffKusnitz

JeffKusnitz Member

Apr 9, 2008
    All of my transfers completed. TivoHD to Roamio transferred at 41 Mb/s across a series (three?) of gigabit switches. For comparison (sort of), an Amazon transfer had a rate of 30 Mb/s.