1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba "expander" dying. Can I transfer to another one?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by JHawk, Oct 30, 2013.

1. JHawk

JHawk New Member

Nov 4, 2002
    Lawrence, KS
    I have used a Toshiba hard drive in place of the Tivo expander for several years. The Toshiba is making lots of noise so it may be on its last legs. Before it croaks can I transfer everything on it to another external hard drive? If so, will the Tivo recognize it?

TIA,

JHawk

2. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Are you using this on an original S3, the TCD648250 or 250B?

Can you easily extract that drive from its external enclosure?

(The more directly you hook it and its replacement up to the PC motherboard, the faster you can copy and maybe get in under the wire before it dies. And I'd wrap the bare drive in some paper toweling and stick it in the freezer overnight and have everything ready to go for the copy process when you pull it out so as maximize the non-overheated time it's running.)

What size is that drive?

With what do you plan to replace it?

3. JHawk

JHawk New Member

Nov 4, 2002
    Lawrence, KS
    Thanks Unitron.....

It's an original S3.

It's 1TB. Here's the model # PH3100U-1EXB

I don't know about cracking it open....I'll look tomorrow.

I'm open to suggestions for a replacement.

TIA,

JHawk

4. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Well at least you aren't limited to that small list of WD drive numbers the way HD and HD XL (and all S4 and S5) owners are.

According to an Amazon user review, from 2010, the drive inside is a Samsung HD103SI, a 5400 RPM "green" drive, which would be a Samsung from before Seagate bought them out.

According to other stuff I read elsewhere the case is held together by 4 plastic snaps or tabs that are almost impossible to get to, so I'm guessing you'd need to wedge it open all the way around with a whole bunch of guitar picks until you can find one of the tabs.

If I had to recommend another bare drive to put into an eSATA enclosure to replace this one and went with only what I've had experience with, I'd have to say hope to find someone with some new old stock, i.e., a drive made about 3 years ago that's been sitting unused and unsold ever since.

My recommendation for S3s is a single internal 2TB WD20EURS.

Of course that doesn't solve the problem of trying to rescue already recorded shows.

5. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Take a look at this

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BluMCbYKK_g[/media]

for some clues

It's for a 2.5" external, but maybe the cases are similar.