1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Top Gear - S2 - All Season Thread w/Spoilers.

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by TonyTheTiger, Mar 19, 2017.

1. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    There doesn't seem to be enough interest to support a thread for each episode and no-one even started one last week, so it's probably time to combine the whole season.

I'm finding LeBlanc more and more annoying, not only with his reviews (he almost ruined the DB11 film!), but with his spot of featuring a...wait...what?... a muck spreader! Let's face it, as the ads tell us, all bad guys drive Jaguars, so why was Harris driving a Mercedes wearing a Nehru jacket?

Harris and Reid are barely holding up the show with the odd good film, but this week was just, well, sad. The 'Harris yelling at the celeb' spot is so weak, even the producers had to change it!

I also felt the show needed a positive review to end on, not all three presenters agreeing on how cr@p the new Fiat 124 Spider Abarth is. I could have told them that from watching the Grand Tour last year!!!

2. osu1991

osu1991 Active Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    This iteration of Top Gear UK is still considered Series 24 not 2

I enjoyed the first 2 episodes of this series.
    Much better than last year. Personally I thought they were better than half of the Grand Tour episodes. I'm just now getting ready to watch episode 3 from today.

3. TonyTheTiger

Dec 22, 2006
    Considered by the Beeb maybe, but I prefer NOT to associate this comparative mess with what the boys produced prior to 'the incident'!

4. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I enjoyed episode 3. The DB11/AMG film was beautiful. The chemistry between the presenters is getting better. I like the running joke of LeBlanc being super into farm/excavation equipment. And while I normally wouldn't want to see a review of a muck spreader, you have to admit it was pretty amazing watching it chew up that Volvo and spit it out.

The one part that was disappointing was the Fiat film, because anyone who knows anything about cars knows that it's just a rebadged Miata that costs a lot more. So when the first several minutes of that film seemed to be praising the car, I was thinking, "Really? You like it?"

5. RonDawg

RonDawg Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2006
    I'm only on episode 2 so far but I actually enjoyed most of that episode. Chris Harris and the Giulia was great....it's a shame he damaged the car in that stunt. And anybody who has seen "Canada's Worst Driver" can tell you that those foam blocks when hit at speed can do quite a bit of damage to a modern car.

I do applaud whoever came up with the new camera angles for the Top Gear track segments. It makes the shots look very dynamic; the old shots look like what you'd see if you were standing at the perimeter fence watching it being filmed.

Chris Harris: Driving Instructor wasn't as obnoxious as the season premiere, but it's starting to get old like Grand Tour's "Dead Celebrity" skit. Others that are starting to wear thin are LeBlanc's showing non-cars with advanced automotive technology, and Rory looking forward to driving the Renault Twingo; the latter is starting to come off as a poor re-creation of James May's alleged fascination with the Dacia Sandero.

6. midas

midas I heard that

Jun 1, 2000
    Montgomery,...
    I no longer 'find' the direct BBC broadcast so I'm also just on episode 2. I've enjoyed both episodes. Still not a huge fan of LeBlanc. But I wasn't a big fan of May when he started either. I especially liked the Giulia segment. I was pleasantly surprised with Rory pulled up with the truck at the end and it wasn't a 3rd car. That seemed like something they would have done in the past. Unfortunately what they ended up with went on a bit too long. I didn't really need to see it 4 times.

And I enjoyed the absurdity of the 4 season challenge. Kudos to them for doing it, but there's no way I would ever put snow chains on a $200K supercar. But after seeing the damage they did to the Alfa I guess I'm not surprised.

I'm not sure how I feel about the news segment, even though they really didn't call it that. I was glad to see it back. I just didn't like the celeb being part of it. I think the news should be strong on the chemistry of the hosts. A different celeb every week won't help that chemistry grow.

And seriously, who on the planet isn't excited about the new Twingo?

7. TonyTheTiger

Dec 22, 2006
    Then you really want to seek out this week's Extra Gear, which has a feature on how the moving shots of the DB were filmed.

8. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    I accidentally retrieved Extra Gear instead of episode 1 last week, just deleted without watching, maybe I'll go undelete it then seek out the Extra Gears for the other episodes as well.

phox

9. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I don't like the new host of Extra Gear this season. He's a bit of a cheeseball. But I enjoy the extra behind-the-scenes info they provide about the show, so it's still worth watching.

10. RonDawg

RonDawg Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2006
    I actually liked the DB11/Mercedes film. Yeah the whole "LeBond" thing with him dressed in a tux (but only from the waist up) was a bit silly, but the chase through the mountains with Harris in the Mercedes in hot pursuit and the local cops in much slower cars (but much more resources) was enjoyable.

The muck spreader was mildly amusing for the way it chewed up and spat out that Volvo, though they cheated as they took the engine block and transmission out.

Harris' wardrobe was clearly a take/parody/homage on this fellow:

[​IMG]

However, the part I enjoyed even more was Sabine driving the GTI ClubSport through the 'Ring. I wouldn't mind being in Rory's place during that time. I will agree with Matt that her being able to overtake £1.1M worth of cars is more due to her abilities vs. that of most owners of such cars than the VW's performance. When she drove a Transit diesel on that same course several years ago, she was not only passing Porsches but motorcycles as well.

This week's episode of Chris Harris: Driving Instructor went on for FAR too long. I would have preferred more footage from the DB11 film or especially the GTI ClubSport film instead.

osu1991 likes this.
  11. osu1991

osu1991 Active Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    I liked this weeks episode. The Bugatti Chiron is on its way to being the new bad a$$ billionaires toy. Thought the pac man bit was a little long.

12. midas

midas I heard that

Jun 1, 2000
    Montgomery,...
    I just watched the DB 11 episode. Really not liking LeBlanc at all. For an actor, he's a lousy actor. I never feel like anything he says comes from his brain.

13. heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    Discussions of episodes that haven't aired on BBCA yet don't belong in this thread.

ClutchBrake likes this.
  14. ClutchBrake

ClutchBrake Pass the gravy!

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    Won't be a popular opinion but I agree.

15. osu1991

osu1991 Active Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Really, this thread was started by someone talking about episodes that had not yet aired on BBC America

16. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    For those of us that don't have BBCA and watch the show through "alternate" methods, how would we even know when certain episodes have aired on BBCA?

The Dubai to Oman race between Harris and LeBlanc was kind of stupid, since LeBlanc appeared to be in approximately the same place where he started after his first two legs. I'm sure they had to do that in order to preserve the illusion of the two potentially reaching the destination at the same time.

I was bummed they didn't give us any specifics on the Chiron, but at least they said it was still in development and they'd update it later in the series. We'll see if they actually do that.

osu1991 likes this.
  17. Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I think it airs on BBCA one week after the UK.

I have BBCA in HD and all, but still download the show so I can watch it early. That, and I couldn't seem to get the show to actually record on my DVR. I don't have a TiVo, but I'd try to do a "season pass" and it just wouldn't take.

18. osu1991

osu1991 Active Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    BBC is commercial free too. Unless you dvr the first airing on BBC America it's going to be edited down for commercial time for the following airings.

19. heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    There's always this. From the sticky at the top of the page.

20. redrouteone

redrouteone This Space for Lease TCF Club

Jun 16, 2001
    Austin, Texas
    I bought the season from Amazon so I get the unedited version without commercials. Downside is that I get it on the BBC America scheldule.

I agree that the race between the Chiron and LeBlanc was a little silly. Then again these races are always silly. 1500HP is just incredible, I can't imagine what it is like to drive. I wonder that it would cost to rent one. Likely more than I make in a month.

The little city car thing was interesting, but agree it went on too long. Though there is one think I think of every time I see a smart. They had the Brabus version, which in this version of the smart has about 100HP. WHich is better, but not insane like you'd expect from a Brabus.