1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Top Chef - New Orleans - season thread (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Agatha Mystery, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Oct 7, 2013 #1 of 157
    Agatha Mystery

Agatha Mystery Active Member

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    So Top Chef has returned. Yay for not having the competition to get the coats, although it looks like there was some sort of sous chef competition or something, as Padma said that a few of them had immunity.

First challenge off the bat was an elimination challenge. No big surprise since there were so many of them. Nice to see that some people who didn't make it last season got a second chance at making it back in.

You'd expect that the chefs would be aware that they'd have the opportunity to cook frog legs, alligator, and turtle (although turtle not so much). Those are definitely foods that are region specific and you'd have to know that that would happen. Now, how often do you come across those foods elsewhere? Probably not as much. But if you have time to prepare, I'd imagine that you'd try and prepare regional items, including crayfish. Those are probably going to show up at some point.

As far as the new contestants - much will be made of the "good looking chef dude". They're already portraying him as the ego. Of course this means that he will make it through at least half of the season, or we'll lose some of our manufactured drama. :) We also have "Pretty chef girl in short shorts and flip flops in the kitchen". That's going to get on people's nerves as well. She will probably make it halfway as well. :p

Edited to add: Last Chance Kitchen has started as of 10/23. This thread will include spoilers for LCK after it has shown as well.

2. Oct 7, 2013 #2 of 157
    jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    I think that first competition was just to get one or two local New Orleans chefs into the show I don't think there will be any side competitions this year.

I'm watching. Like the hottie Australian chef. (the girl. Not Curtis)

3. Oct 7, 2013 #3 of 157
    Agatha Mystery

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
  4. Oct 11, 2013 #4 of 157
    Agatha Mystery

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    2nd episode spoilers below -

I was wrong. Pretty boy ego chef went home. I honestly didn't expect it to happen that fast. The hand rolls getting slimy makes sense as a reason. However, Tom mentioned something inside that tasted bad, but they didn't ask him about that or ding him on it. Pretty boy thinking he was top 5 material just goes to show what kind of ego he has. He might have a top 5 meal that he is able to make, but that doesn't make him a top 5 chef.

I'm already over the chick from the "islands". Not because of her cooking, but because she must always mention it. If she keeps mentioning it, it will get old in a hurry.

5. Oct 11, 2013 #5 of 157
    jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    Yup. So much for these ongoing theories that the producers decide to keep people for drama or whatever. Just doesn't happen on Top Chef.

Is there not a last chance kitchen this time? The guy mentioned fighting back to get in via LCK, but so far I have seen no mention of it. Am I just missing it?

6. Oct 11, 2013 #6 of 157
    betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    Ack. I missed this somehow. Going now to set SP.

7. Oct 11, 2013 #7 of 157
    sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Love that pretty boy ego chef is outta there. He was in serious need of a b!tch slappin' and that's what he got. I love how guys like that always rationalize their axing with more of their egotistical b.s. though. :D They can't ever 'take it like a man'. LMAO

Seems to be some pretty decent talent this time around. I have to say that I do rather enjoy it more when I see chefs I recognize and there isn't anybody in this crop I recognize.

8. Oct 11, 2013 #8 of 157
    Mr. Soze

Mr. Soze On my best behaviour

Nov 1, 2002
    La Cheeserie
    I was surprised he went: I thought it would be the girl (who was up for the second time IIRC). But I am glad he's gone. :up: Early on I focus on who I hate rather than who I want to win. He was one I hated.

9. Oct 11, 2013 #9 of 157
    paracelsus

paracelsus Member

Jun 23, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN
    According to the Bravo website LCK premieres October 23rd.

10. Oct 12, 2013 #10 of 157
    justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Missed it too, just set a new SP.

11. Oct 12, 2013 #11 of 157
    justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Same here. I am looking online for what I missed.

Agatha is dissing Curtis just so her hubby won't get jealous and kill him. ;)

12. Oct 12, 2013 #12 of 157
    Agatha Mystery

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    No. Curtis truly bothers me. I don't find him attractive the second he speaks. The accent is great, but he just bugs me. It's funny, though, my husband doesn't like Padma either because he thinks she's a b*tch. :p

13. Oct 12, 2013 #13 of 157
    Mr. Soze

Mr. Soze On my best behaviour

Nov 1, 2002
    La Cheeserie
    I agree with Inigo.

14. Oct 12, 2013 #14 of 157
    sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    For those who have missed the first couple of eps - I'm surprised your SP didn't pick this up. Well, that's to say - if you still had just a generic 'Top Chef' SP. I always check first because you never know when they'll change the name to include the location du jour. This time they didn't (I've continued to just keep my original TC SP on deck).

But then I do have a great deal of time on my hands. :D

15. Oct 12, 2013 #15 of 157
    jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    I've always kept my generic Top Chef season pass, adding in a city specific one when needed.

16. Oct 14, 2013 #16 of 157
  17. Oct 19, 2013 #17 of 157
    Agatha Mystery

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    I dislike these kinds of challenges, but I understand why they do it. I think this is one of those challenges that is supposed to test the chef's taste buds. I guess it's one thing to create a great dish with flavors you know and like, but it's another to know what all of the flavors that you might not favor taste like.

I did find it funny that the girl who didn't know how to make biscuits, only knew the ratio, made better biscuits than the Commander's Palace chef. :D He took it well when they pointed that fact out.

The chick with the plate that didn't have the Okra in the right orientation had it correct before she plated (or before her plates got dumped). Not sure how they got out of alignment. I'd almost bet she did a plate wipe and didn't reposition them.

18. Oct 19, 2013 #18 of 157
    jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    I actually liked this challenge. Really, it's the way a lot of chefs come up with the dishes they liked to serve. Re-creating something they had elsewhere. And of course, if you go and work for some one else instead of opening your own place, you are gonna have to do a lot of it anyway.

Just wish Paul Prudhome would have had a little more to say.

19. Oct 19, 2013 #19 of 157
    betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    I don't mind this challenge but wish that the chefs were allowed just a little more time. Not only a new item with no recipe but in such a short time that there really wasn't time to redo/mess up. I guess having it the night before let's them go back and think it out some.

20. Oct 21, 2013 #20 of 157
    justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    I dislike the time challenges. They get awesome ingredients, then 30-90 minutes? My best dishes take 8-10 HOURS! They can't do real bbq in an hour! It takes a heck of a lot longer to do, say braised lamb tongue, too.