1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toggling between a recording and live TV

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by UCLABB, Jun 13, 2012.

1. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    I haven't figured out an easy way to do this. There must be a better way than going back through Tivo button. :confused:

2. CraigK

CraigK (unspecified)

Jun 9, 2006
    North of...
    If you're watching a recording hit the Live TV button.
    From live TV hit the left arrow button twice to get you to the Resume Playing prompt on the Program screen.

Not exactly a toggle, but faster than going through the TiVo button.

3. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    I am AFMT and don't currently have access to anything but a TiVo 2, but 2 left arrows is wrong, at least for that platform Left arrow, right arrow or Left arrow, Play works. In fact Left arrow, Play should always work, even if you started playing directly from the NPL.

4. stlbluesfan74

stlbluesfan74 Mike

May 2, 2012
    St. Louis
    I give up. What does AFMT stand for. I tried googling to no avail.

5. jakerock

jakerock Hey ho howdy! TCF Club

Dec 9, 2002
    Lee, NH
    away from my tivo?

6. stlbluesfan74

stlbluesfan74 Mike

May 2, 2012
    St. Louis
    Wow. I think you nailed it. I would have never gotten that. :D

7. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    :up:Got it in one. Variation of AFK but since I had access to a TiVo, just not my TiVos, the M was a necessary addition.:) And now that I have returned to me residence, I have verified that two left arrows does not work on any TiVo. Left arrow + play is the only method that should always work. And in my original post, "left arrow,right arrow" should have been "left arrow, select ".

8. CraigK

CraigK (unspecified)

Jun 9, 2006
    North of...
    That's weird because on my TiVo HD from live TV it requires two left arrows to get me back to the Playing screen where I can then press Select to resume the recording. [​IMG]

9. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Then there's something wrong with either your remote/THD or mine.

What happens with the first left arrow?

10. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that you may want to press pause on live TV before you left arrow away from it so that when you go back to live TV, you'll be resuming where you left off.

Also, I have a TiVo HD and just like every Tivo that came before it and after it (so far), only one left arrow press is necessary to get from live TV back to the program page where you can play/resume playing.

11. CraigK

CraigK (unspecified)

Jun 9, 2006
    North of...
    I figured out what was happening with mine. Since I was just testing and not actually watching live tv very long the channel banner was still on the screen and the first left arrow was only removing the channel banner.

If I'm patient and wait a few seconds for the channel banner to clear I can go back to the recording from live tv with only ONE left arrow and then Select. [​IMG]

12. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Ah, but Play will work even if you initially played it from the NPL or group. :cool:

13. CraigK

CraigK (unspecified)

Jun 9, 2006
    North of...

:up:

14. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    Same with both my original S3 and TiVo HD...just one left arrow press, then select/play and you're off to the races...