1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To what extent can you get PPV on your Series 3 TiVo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by bareyb, Dec 23, 2006.

Can you order PPV on your series 3 TiVo?

1. I have to call the Cableco. to get PPV and CANNOT record it on my S3

4 vote(s)
  2. I have to call the Cableco to get PPV but I CAN record it on my S3

10 vote(s)
  3. I can only get PPV by using the Cableco's set top box

28 vote(s)
  4. I can order PPV interactively from the Cableco box and view and record it on my S3

5 vote(s)
  1. bareyb

bareyb Under Maintenance TC Club

Dec 1, 2000
    Hi Gang. There seems to be some mixed experiences with PPV and a lot of misinformation from Comcast regarding same with regard to series 3 TiVo's. I was told in no uncertain terms that I would not be able to receive PPV on my S3 TiVo and that "calling in" would NOT work. I therefore rented an extra box from Comcast so I could get my PPV movies and events. Tonight I ordered my first PPV event and low and behold, it has been de-scrambled on both of my TiVo's as well as the Comcast DVR. So at least in my area it would appear that you can:

A. Call in to the Cableco and get PPV to record and view on the Series 3
    B. Use the Cableco box to order PPV interactively and record and view on S3

Just thought I'd report my findings and am curious now how PPV is working for others on their Series 3.
  2. Mike Lang

Mike Lang Administrator Staff Member Admin TC Club

Nov 17, 1999
  3. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    Hmm, anyone else done this?
  4. bareyb

Dec 1, 2000
    Are you talking about this poll or the getting PPV on your S3? I'm watching the Kickboxing championships on channel 801 PPV with my S3 as we speak. :)
  5. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
  6. moyekj

moyekj Active Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Another poll option that would get my vote (respectfully understanding PPV & VOD is important to some):
    "I couldn't care less about PPV & VOD so haven't bothered looking into it".
  7. GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    I agree - maybe if there were something compelling on PPV, but I don't understand the desire for VOD. That's what I use my Tivo for, and pick the shows I want to have "on demand". ;)
  8. squiddohio

squiddohio New Member

Dec 20, 2001
    I was going to keep my cable box (8300) and the S3 so that I could get PPV and VOD until I realized that I hardly use them. PPV has nothing of interest to me, and, as the poster noted above, VOD is not all that much use when you can record the show in HD (almost all VOD is SD). I took the box back and took somewhere between 100 and 200 dollars a year, which could rent me a lot of movies at Blockbuster. I don't miss the VOD at all.
  9. bareyb

Dec 1, 2000
    HOLA posting frm mexico and logged in from th hotel. it doesn't wor real well. Anyway, PPV poll. Don't post if you dont wtchit. Stupidos.
  10. cherry ghost

cherry ghost Active Member

Sep 13, 2005
  11. btwyx

btwyx Substantive Member

Jan 16, 2003
    That probably answer the question for me. I had wondered if I could get the inDemand PPVs by calling in, but if yours says no, mine would probably also say no. I couldn''t get on Demand stuff on the S3 when I had an additional box.
  12. hookbill

hookbill Feathered Member

Dec 14, 2001
    I've never tried it and didn't think it was possible. Still there is nothing on pay per view I ever watch, however - I was told in an email from TW CS that they are the only company that allows recording of ppv and that is on the SA 8300 - not cable cards. (I was having a problem recording INHD and stupid CSR responded about IN Demand. But that's another story.......)

Anyway I don't think it is possible in my area to order ppv.

FWIW INHD issue got solved, I had a contact outside of CS who got it fixed.
  13. bareyb

Dec 1, 2000
    Hola again. Still using the hotels "Intrnet on TV" the wireless keybord is horible. It misses a lot of keystrokes... It was my hope with this poll to provide better information for potential S3 buyes who value PPV events such as Martial Arts competitions etc. I am hoping with enough good input that we can possibly update the FAQ. It does appear that in many cases PPV can be done interactively with a comcast box and recorded wiith the S3 Tivo. This is HUGE news for fans of PPV such as my self. A cheaperr aternatve isto call in and order it and many can still watch an record it on their S3. So it would appear that the cable compaies are the problem for those that can't get PPV on their S3 boxes. Comcast , at least in Cupertino seems to descramble the signal at their end and allow th chanels to be viewed on any connected box. Both of my Tivo s3 boxes can record PPV. this isvery encouragng.

Note: Thiis wireles kyboard is drving me crazy. I'l seeyou guys when I get back from Mexico!

Felice Navidad everyone! :)
  14. dianebrat

dianebrat Uncontrolled Force

Jul 6, 2002
    you left out the option of "I don't care about PPV and don't miss it"

p.s. just realized in rereading that moyekj also mentioned the lack of that option.
  15. Adam1115

Adam1115 20,000!!!

Dec 15, 2003
    How about an option for, I cannot get PPV, period! I have analog cable, they don't offer PPV on analog...
  16. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    You're using your Series 3 with OTA, then? Otherwise, why have one, if you only have analog cable?
  17. btl-a4

btl-a4 Man I must be bored.

Dec 28, 2005
    I would like VOD so I don't have to use up any of my space to record Sesame Street or Thomas the Train. VOD has a great selection of childrens programs. There are also some things on VOD that don't air anywhere else.
  18. Adam1115

Adam1115 20,000!!!

Dec 15, 2003
    OTA and Analog Cable.
  19. jmjerome

jmjerome New Member

Dec 24, 2004
    TWC Los Angeles no PPV even if you call and order it.
  20. rufusryker

rufusryker New Member

Dec 3, 2006
    I really do not understand people who get on a thread like this to rant about how THEY don't like VOD or PPV. Good for you!

I rarely use either VOD or PPV myself, but I think people here are missing the big picture. It is in the interest of all TiVO owners and fans to have these options available to TiVO owners, at least to some extent, especially PPV. If TiVO and the S3 makes any inroads at all into the HD market, you can expect cable companies to protect their own DVR options (and cable box revenue) by moving more exclusive content to VOD and PPV. This is already a big drawback to many potential TiVO purchasers, whether some here want to admit it or not.

You might not have an interest in ordering the latest Wladimir Klitschko title fight, or even know who the guy is. But plenty of people will pay $30, $40 or $50 and someday a PPV event might come on that you might want to order. You can bet the boxing promoter and the fighter himself would gladly take money from affluent TiVO owners, so who wants the cable companies holding the cards?