1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To Standby or Not to Standby?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by JfNebraska, May 2, 2012.

1. May 2, 2012 #1 of 69
    JfNebraska

JfNebraska HD Initiate

Oct 2, 2001
    Oakland,...
    Do people put their Tivo Premiers into Standby mode when they're done using them? If so, is there a remote shortcut key for that? If not, how long does it take for that to happen automatically when the box is not in use?

Also, if there's no shortcut key on the remote, does anyone have the hex codes or another suggestion for getting a standby command into a sophisticated universal remote (I have an MX-900)?

Thanks.

2. May 2, 2012 #2 of 69
    rvsj

rvsj New Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I always put my TiVos into Standby mode. It prevents EAS tests from disrupting recordings.

It does not go into Standby automatically.

3. May 2, 2012 #3 of 69
    JfNebraska

JfNebraska HD Initiate

Oct 2, 2001
    Oakland,...
    So you literally navigate through all those menus to get into standby mode? Seems like a hassle, though I guess I could set up a macro to do it every time I turn my system off. Surprising there's no shortcut.

4. May 2, 2012 #4 of 69
    scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    All those menus?
    It's on the settings & messages menu directly accessed from Tivo Central.
    5 or 6 button presses is all it takes and it can be done in 5 seconds.

I never put my Premiere in standby

5. May 2, 2012 #5 of 69
    JfNebraska

JfNebraska HD Initiate

Oct 2, 2001
    Oakland,...
    I get that, but five or six button presses every time you turn off the system is an unacceptably large number.

I can do it by way of macro, if I have to, but, normally, there would be a shortcut key to jump into standby. Alternatively, I could never go into standby, as it sounds like you're doing Scandia.

6. May 2, 2012 #6 of 69
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Standby just shuts off the video output mostly. Although there is no remote shortcut, there is a network remote command. Telnet to your Tivo IP Port 31339 and send IRCODE STANDBY (all caps)

7. May 2, 2012 #7 of 69
    astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    To answer your question, no. We don't have an EAS problem in Houston, thanks to Comcast handling it properly. So no need for standby.

8. May 3, 2012 #8 of 69
    steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I don't know about the Premiere, but my Harmony remote software lists stand-by as one of the options when configuring extra buttons for my TivoHD.
    I don't use stand-by (don't think it's necessary*) so I haven't tried it, but I would think it's a one button function.
    That leads me to believe there is a remote code to put the Tivo in standby with one button press, but you need a universal/programmable remote to accomplish the goal.

* I agree that it is useful for people who suffer from the interruption of the EAS tests.

9. May 3, 2012 #9 of 69
    JfNebraska

JfNebraska HD Initiate

Oct 2, 2001
    Oakland,...
    I have a universal remote with a web-updated IR library. Though it lists standby as a stand-alone code for the Tivo HD series, it doesn't work on my XL4.

10. bmgoodman

bmgoodman Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Northern...
    There most certainly IS a single code that puts Tivo into Standby. Around 8 years ago, I started playing with programming a "JP1" remote. JP1 programming is very powerful, but a bit arcane. There's a Windows app and an Excel spreadsheet. I took it on as a project and got all my devices working pretty well, to include Tivo Standby for my 3 Tivos (remotecode of 1,2, and 3). When I switched to a Logitech Harmony remote, their database had a Standby for Tivo, but it didn't work for me. So I had to "learn" the command (one for each of the 3 Tivos) from the Harmony by pointing the JP1 remote at it and following the "learn" procedure. Now my Harmony works great for standby on each Tivo. In fact, it worked fine on S1, S2, S3 OLED, and S3 TivoHD. I don't know about Premiere/Elite.

FWIW, early this year I wrote Logitech and explained this situation and asked them to make this command available to all Tivo users. They *told* me that added it for everyone, but I have yet to see if that's the case. I posted all of this in another thread weeks ago, but I haven't heard from anybody as to whether anything was *really* updated by Logitech.

As for the JP1 stuff, it's been too long ago for me to remember. But if anybody really wants Tivo Standby for JP1, I can try to locate it again. But it probably will take some time.

11. djwilso

djwilso Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    With my Harmony 1 remote (as well as my previous Harmony 880), it was able to put the TiVo into Standby mode automatically as part of the "turn off" sequence if you went into its device settings and changed the power settings to the "I want to turn off this device when it's not in use" setting.

The TiVo device I used in the initial configuration was "TCD-648250B" and the Standby code it has in the database has worked for me since 2006. It works on the Series 3 as well as Premiere Elite.

I attached a picture of what that device setting page looks like in the Harmony remote software. Get there by going to the Devices tab, then click the Settings button on the TiVo device, then select "Adjust Power Settings", click the Next button. Be sure to update the remote with the new settings. :)

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

12. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...

How lazy and entitled are you?

13. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    Mine has one.

[​IMG]

:D

When I used to use a universal remote, a URC-6131, I had the discreet code for Standby programmed to the Power button. I found it here: http://www.hifi-remote.com/

Now that I have a Slide, I just use the menus (unless I'm using my network remote... but I tend to forget I have a Standby button there).

Attached Files:

14. JfNebraska

JfNebraska HD Initiate

Oct 2, 2001
    Oakland,...
    Um... you should try joining us here in the 21st Century. It's pretty nice. I push one button labeled "Off," and it turns everything off. I consider that to be an unmitigated good thing.

Maybe you are the type who prefers to pick up five different remotes and push several buttons on each one. If so, more power to you, but watch out for carpal tunnel.

15. JfNebraska

JfNebraska HD Initiate

Oct 2, 2001
    Oakland,...
    Like many hackers, I have one of those Radio Shack universals for just such an occasion. Assuming you don't remember the key sequence (usually it's "P" plus three or four numbers), I'll search for it here.

Thanks!

16. Jeff_DML

Jeff_DML Member

Mar 2, 2009
    I dont put mine in standby, doesnt really do much if anything in power reduction, like people mentioned pretty just turns off the outputs.

17. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    AND stops EAS from wrecking your recordings, as mentioned
    AND lets suggestions start recording immediately (I use them only as a free disk space indicator)

18. djwilso

djwilso Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    On my OLED Series 3, I put it into standby mode, but I leave the Elite on all the time because when it is in standby, the red recording LEDs on the front panel do not light up when the box is recording, and I like to be able to glance over at the box to make sure it's recording when it's supposed to be.

On the Series 3, the recording LEDs still came on even when it was in standby mode.

19. Derek Nickel

Derek Nickel TiVannosaurus Rex

Oct 7, 2003
    San...
    No, I don't bother with Standby mode. The video stream seems to shut off pretty quickly on it's own (over HDMI).

20. compnurd

compnurd New Member

Oct 6, 2011
    I dont standby either and dont have EAS issues here