1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TivoWebPlus 2.0 support/discussion

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by BTUx9, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Mar 7, 2007 #1 of 485
    BTUx9

BTUx9 back?

Nov 13, 2003
    Rockport, MA
    For any who aren't aware, there's been a new version of TWP released... it's not a final release quite yet, but most of the fundamental changes have been made.

More info on this release can be found here and on the associated support thread at DDB.

The latest bundle can be downloaded here

2. Mar 7, 2007 #2 of 485
    lew

lew Active Member

Mar 12, 2002
    This version, at least for the DTivo units, works significantly better than earlier versions. Much faster, much more stable. Remote access through the internet works great, just a little bit of work to set it up.

Thanks for the hard work done by all involved, particularly the previous poster.

3. Mar 7, 2007 #3 of 485
    utnorris

utnorris New Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Little Elm,...
    How do you install the new TW program? I used the Zipper disk to load the TW on my drive earlier today. Do I need to rerun the Zipper or is there an easier way to unistall the old TW and install the new TW?

4. Mar 7, 2007 #4 of 485
    BTUx9

BTUx9 back?

Nov 13, 2003
    Rockport, MA
    Did you check the more info link? There's an Installation section that describes the issues.

5. Mar 7, 2007 #5 of 485
    mphare

mphare New Member

Jul 15, 2004
    Yes, thank you very much. I've gone from 1.2.1 to 1.3.1 to 2.0.0 and this version has not caused a reboot once.

I always dreaded doing anything in 1.2 or 1.3 because it would cause a reboot almost every time I tried to use it.

If you have a DTiVo and use TWP, you really should get 2.0 installed.

6. Mar 7, 2007 #6 of 485
    JWThiers

JWThiers Smartypants

Apr 12, 2005
    Cocoa, Florida
    If it was the latest version of zipper the all you have to do is download the latest version of TWP onto your PC, leave it in its compressed state, and then from TWP1.3.1 (whatever the version that zipper installs) there is an update module for updating TWP. Click on update, select the file you downloaded on your PC, and click OK. the update should then be transfered to your tivo and installed. Then you have to either do a full restart of TWP or just reboot your tivo.

There was a problem with older versions of zipper where zipper installed TWP in /tivowebplus and the update module would not work, but that was fixed a while back. If you are not sure just try the update module if it works great if not you will get an error it will not install. If that happens simply rerun tweak.sh and you will automatically download the latest enhancements, uninstall the old enhancements, and reinstall the latest enhancements and the problem is fixed.

7. Mar 7, 2007 #7 of 485
    SteelersFan

SteelersFan "On Welfare"

Sep 6, 2004
    Saugus, CA
    Actually, it is suggested to NOT install a newer version over an older one but to delete the old one first, then install the new one.

8. Mar 7, 2007 #8 of 485
    JWThiers

JWThiers Smartypants

Apr 12, 2005
    Cocoa, Florida
    It also says:

"The update feature will only work if TWP2 is in the "TivoWebPlus" dir (not "tivowebplus" or any other variant)"

That s how I did it a while back and it work perfect, first time on 3 dsr708's.

9. Mar 7, 2007 #9 of 485
    BTUx9

BTUx9 back?

Nov 13, 2003
    Rockport, MA
    the update module is an exception to the "don't install over existing", however TWP2 still has the issue of needing r/w access to config and backups (see wiki)

I believe zipper uses symlinks for those, so it MAY work without having to do anything else

BTW, in JWThiers' post, full restart = "quit & restart" not "full reload"... hmm... which may not exist in 1.3x

better to quit TWP and reload it from telnet or, as he said, reboot the tivo

10. Mar 7, 2007 #10 of 485
    SteelersFan

SteelersFan "On Welfare"

Sep 6, 2004
    Saugus, CA
    Ahh, thanks for straightening this out. :)

11. Mar 7, 2007 #11 of 485
    ocntscha

ocntscha New Member

Oct 22, 2003
    Hi there Mr. Btux,

I just went and looked at that installation section. Reason being, even as I've been testing out several of these beta releases I've always been kind of confused as to how its supposed to be installed. It seemed to me, and the web page I just looked at confirms, you're not intended to configure it before running it. When you just extract it fresh the config directory doesn't even exist yet. You have to run it, let it create the config folder with default tivoweb.cfg file, then shut it back down and then edit the config file. No offense but that seems a bit bass ackwards if you ask me (and I know you didn't ask me so if you want to tell me to take a flyin' leap that's fine), or maybe I'm just missing something or, I don't know, just seems odd. What I've taken to doing the last couple gorounds is extract it, manually make the config directory myself, manually copy my old config in, and then start it for the first time.

12. Mar 7, 2007 #12 of 485
    BTUx9

BTUx9 back?

Nov 13, 2003
    Rockport, MA
    it is a bit counter-intuitive, but there's a method to the madness...
    in developing TWP2 we've released literally dozens of bundles
    over that course, we also introduced a number of config settings

by doing things the way we do, the default config files just get overwritten, and they get sourced BEFORE the user-editted files... this means that the new settings will be defaulted without worrying about trying to rewrite an editted config file (something that is very difficult to do so it works in all cases)

13. Mar 8, 2007 #13 of 485
    jporter12

jporter12 TiVo changed my life

Mar 10, 2006
    Johnstown, Ohio
    Ok, I fixed this once, but I can't remember how! I normally run with / in rw, therefore no issue with TWP. However, after I installed Hackman 5, it seems to be setting / to ro. This is only an issue when I restart TWP, not on a TiVo reboot. Any ideas? It works fine on one TiVo, but the other, I have this issue! Would I be better off posting this in the Hackman thread?

Oh, and BTW, thanks for this AWESOME piece of work for TiVo's everywhere!

14. Mar 8, 2007 #14 of 485
    BTUx9

BTUx9 back?

Nov 13, 2003
    Rockport, MA
    thanx
    yeah... that's really a hackman question so should be asked in that thread

15. Mar 8, 2007 #15 of 485
    ocntscha

ocntscha New Member

Oct 22, 2003
    Ok, I think I finally see the master plan now, the idea is that you can keep untarring each consecutive new version right over top of the old one, make sense.

16. Mar 9, 2007 #16 of 485
    rbautch

rbautch User

Feb 5, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    What's the status of the backup module for 6.3x?

17. Mar 9, 2007 #17 of 485
    JWThiers

JWThiers Smartypants

Apr 12, 2005
    Cocoa, Florida
    I am installing HAckman in TWP2 and was coming across an issue that I believe is related to what I found on the TWP2 wiki here

I want to be sure I fully understand, I'm at work right now, otherwise I would just keep trying various ideas get frustrated then ask questions. I figure since I can ask first for a change...

I agree I don't like the idea of running root r/w so that leaves options I and 3.

For option 1 :
    I assume that setting the "env variable TWP_DATA_DIR" is done in the TWP config file (I assume there is one)?
    Does a line already exist for this or do you have to make a new one?
    If so what is the syntax?
    Where should you make it?
    Does that directory have to exist already?

For option 3:
    I always get confussed with symlinks. I would create new directories for ./config and ./backups and then in the TivoWebPlus directory
    Code:
    ln -sf config [new directory for config]
    and
    Code:
    ln -sf backups [new directory for backups]
    ???

18. Mar 9, 2007 #18 of 485
    BTUx9

BTUx9 back?

Nov 13, 2003
    Rockport, MA
    no, it gets set someplace like author (or if you use a script to start twp, in it)
    the line would be something like: "export TWP_DATA_DIR=/var/TWP"
    yes, the directories get automatically created
    not quite... after creating the dirs in var and removing them in twp, you'd type something like: "ln -s /var/TWP/config config"

19. Mar 9, 2007 #19 of 485
    JWThiers

JWThiers Smartypants

Apr 12, 2005
    Cocoa, Florida
    Got it, thanks!

Makes sense seeing that way. I was on the right trail at least. I am finally begining to understand some of this. It is amazing how much, you can remember (or worse, forget) from basic programing classes from years ago. I always did have problems doing symlinks. I understand the concept, but implementing always killed me.

20. Mar 9, 2007 #20 of 485
    BTUx9

BTUx9 back?

Nov 13, 2003
    Rockport, MA
    I'm working on a patch to tivoweb that would default TWP_DATA_DIR to /var/TWP if the config dir isn't writable... I should be posting the changed file here VERY soon, for those who want to give it a shot