1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TiVoToGo DRM cracked

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by MickeS, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Dec 4, 2006 #1 of 128
    MickeS

MickeS New Member

Dec 26, 2002
    AZ
    I'm guessing this has already been posted here, but I couldn't find a thread about it... so if it HASN'T been posted, here's a thread. :)

http://community.livejournal.com/tivolovers/384800.html

I wonder what this will mean for ToGo for Mac? :)

2. Dec 4, 2006 #2 of 128
    ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    Well it is not really a crack per se as it still requires the Media Access Key from the user and just basically does the same pipe and filtering in a C program.

the good news for Mac and Linux users is that you do not need TiVo desktop installed to run this program.

While I do not think this will induce an uptick in files from TiVos shared on the internet - since people could have done that already by just getting a windows PC this si somewhat bad news for TiVo, inc. as it weakens the perception of security on their platform in the content owner's eyes.

3. Dec 4, 2006 #3 of 128
    Stu_Bee

Stu_Bee New Member

Jan 14, 2002
    Silicon...
    Yeah..and that's all it is perception. Even tivo allows people to currently strip the DRM from their content via the Tivo Desktop+ transcoding to other video formats.
    The only protection Tivo can be offering at this point is the Do Not Allow download flags.

4. Dec 4, 2006 #4 of 128
    Jiffylush

Jiffylush New Member

Oct 31, 2006
    I see this as bad news for S3 owners waiting for TTG and MRV.

I hope it isn't but this is just the type of thing cablelabs would use as a reason not to enable TTG and MRV.

5. Dec 4, 2006 #5 of 128
    MickeS

MickeS New Member

Dec 26, 2002
    AZ
    Which never has made any sense to me, since recording devices for the PC are allowed.

6. Dec 4, 2006 #6 of 128
    ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    it is all about the HD on premium channels and the coming downloading of movies.

OTA content or premium SD content is not so important to the copyright holders anymore, but they are looking for that locked down digital stream they can provide thier content on and feel like no one is dipping into the stream without paying.

7. Dec 4, 2006 #7 of 128
    jmoak

jmoak Beware of Conky!

Jun 20, 2000
    florida
    So it's not actually "cracked", is it?

Or is it just a "perception" thing?

It's not, but they say it is, but it's really not, but it does not matter, 'cause they say it is, even though it's not, so it may as well be, 'cause they say it is, even though it's not, everyone says it is, or is it? I mean, the title says it is, so it must be, right? right?
    :confused:

8. Dec 4, 2006 #8 of 128
    MickeS

MickeS New Member

Dec 26, 2002
    AZ
    Nope, I guess "cracked" is not entirely correct. More shorthand for "circumventable without TiVo-provided software" :).

9. Dec 4, 2006 #9 of 128
    ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    I think you have it now. That is exactly how the content providers will think it through

10. Dec 4, 2006 #10 of 128
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Since the DRM scheme has been reverse engineered and you can circumvent the DRM without the TiVo software, then it has been officially cracked (whether it requires the MAK or not).

11. Dec 4, 2006 #11 of 128
    ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    A crack to me denotes you can open any .tivo file without needing the specific key

I think it is better to say it has been hacked

12. Dec 4, 2006 #12 of 128
    Aflat

Aflat New Member

Aug 29, 2005

Yes but recording devices using a cable card on a PC is not allowed. The only machiena cbale card can be installed into is an approved cable card computer. You can't make a home brewed media center PC that can read cable cards.

13. Dec 4, 2006 #13 of 128
    jmoak

jmoak Beware of Conky!

Jun 20, 2000
    florida
    Who can blame 'em? Engadget (home of the famous "Tivo Deathwatch") titles it "TiVo DRM cracked, non-Windows users rejoice", this thread says "TiVoToGo DRM cracked", and I'll betcha a goggle search tomorrow will display at least a half dozen more "Tivo Cracked!" headlines.

Content providers, et. all.

Even though you still need the tivo key to do anything and even sourceforge plainly states "it cannot be used to circumvent their protection", many will loudly proclaim "it has been officially cracked!"

edit:
    Woah! No sooner than I thought it, even before I posted it....

14. Dec 4, 2006 #14 of 128
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    It doesn't matter what you call it. Anyone who can get .tivo files off their TiVo is going to have the MAK anyways. Sure, you couldn't distribute .tivo files around, but that is not really a big concern anyways if you can just strip the DRM off immediately and have a MPEG-2 file. Of course you have been able to easily do this for a while so its not a big deal to Windows users. The big question will be what will TiVo do if someone writes a piece of software that mimics TiVo Desktop on the Mac.

15. Dec 4, 2006 #15 of 128
    mportuesi

mportuesi As seen on TV

Nov 10, 2002
    San...
    I imagine it should be pretty straightforward to modify Galleon to call-out to this unlocking utility. That would pretty much put Galleon on par with TiVo Desktop.

16. Dec 4, 2006 #16 of 128
    jmoak

jmoak Beware of Conky!

Jun 20, 2000
    florida
    That IS "The Big Concern", to the program providers, anyway.
    If this sourceforge development had been touted correctly, it would have been a boon to tivo. Heck, writing a workaround that allows other os's to work with tivo files while maintaining the need to use the tivo keys and authorization method? I'd imagine they'd say, "Thanks!!"

But to have it touted as a "crack" and therefore thought of as a circumvention of their drm system... WHEW! Lord only knows how they'll react.

17. Dec 4, 2006 #17 of 128
    id242

id242 New Member

Feb 24, 2006
    Wow, I guess the people who do run this forum, DO censor messages posted.

Even if you follow the guidelines listed in the forum rules, posts that the moderators don't personally agree with, somehow disappear.

All the regulars know this already, I guess that's what they mean when they write "IBTL", which either means "In Before The Lock" (Censorship) or "I Better Tellyou Later", which means "Hush Hush. We are not suppose to talk about such things in public".

18. Dec 4, 2006 #18 of 128
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Your post was deleted because it was a duplicate, not because it was censored. :rolleyes:

Dan

19. Dec 4, 2006 #19 of 128
    davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Northern...
    I think it's fair to say it's been cracked. Perhaps there are varying levels of 'crack' but deconstructing the decryption mechanism is a very big deal. If we want to argue that needing a MAK means it's not been cracked, someone will build us a brute force MAK testing engine and solve that lickity split.

I think most folks will use this for legit reasons. People want TiVoToGo on the Mac and TiVo hasn't delivered. As was mentioned above, let's plug this into Galleon and call it a day.

20. Dec 4, 2006 #20 of 128
    TydalForce

TydalForce Active Member

Feb 8, 2006
    Philadelphia...
    Anybody who wants to record TV, edit out the commercials, and then distribute it under questionable circumstances is already doing so via computer-based TV Tuner cards.

This really doesn't change anything. TV shows are still going to show up on BitTorrent, with our without TiVo around.

This is, however, good news for those of us on Mac or Linux (or other?) who want to download a few shows from their TiVo to take on the go with them.