1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TivoToGo directory - no NAS/ no SD cards?

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by leiff, Jun 21, 2012.

1. leiff

leiff Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Using Tivo desktop it won't let me change directory to either my MYBOOKLIVE NAS, nor will it let me choose a 32 GB class 10 SD card that I have as a directory. Is this right? My laptops has a 32 gig SSD and no room for Tivo recordings.

2. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
  3. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    That is completely incorrect, I'm afraid, and it is one of the worst of the many, many of what I consider bugs in TDT. TDT will not allow a network share to be specified as a target or source directory.

4. bshrock

bshrock New Member

Jan 6, 2012
    I don't think you can point TiVo Desktop to a network drive or one that is re-movable. This is probably by design the drive may be too slow or not always available when the computer is on. You might be able to get around it by mounting the network drive in a folder or even better replace TiVo Desktop with PYTiVo.

5. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    It has more to do with the goofy way Windows boots and handles users. Network and removable resources are allocated to a user after login. This means a server designed the way TDT is won't have access to those resources until a user logs in.

6. leiff

leiff Member

Aug 24, 2005
    well I'm screwed then because Like I said my internal drive is a 32 gb SSD. Count me very pissed.

7. frog357

frog357 New Member

Jan 8, 2005
    Harsens...
    Where there is a will there is a way. Here is what you do, assuming you have Vista/Win7. Open command prompt (start - run - cmd - ok).
    create a symlink to your SSD removable drive that points to your C:. to do this, type:
    mklink /d /j C:\Tivo H:\SSDPath
    Now point your tivo application (file - preferences) to your new directory created at: C:\Tivo. Transfer a file, pay attention how it tricks the software into thinking it's writing to a fixed drive when in fact it's not. Enjoy!

P.S. I'm always looking for side work, self employed stay at home dad, look me up if you need anything in the future, always willing to help out, even more if you feed me ;) Freddyt dot com.

8. leiff

leiff Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Would be great if I could get it to work. I typed "mklink /d /j C:\Tivo H:\Y:\Tivo"
    Y:\Tivo- being the location of my NAS mybooklive mapped network drive but I get the following message: LOCAL VOLUMES ARE REQUIREDTO COMPLETE THE OPERATION

9. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Symlinks won't work. TiVoDesktop is a POS, pure and simple.

10. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    I saw a report somewhere that someone got it to work by editing the registry for TDT's target directory. I've never tried it myself.

Doing a bit of browsing, it looks to me like the Mybook Live is just a Debian based NAS, and as such it should be fairly trivial to install pyTivo (optionally with vidmgr) on the NAS.

For TTG capability, you can install kmttg on your laptop or other computer with no modification whatsoever to the NAS.

11. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    You're connecting to the WD over the network and not just plugging it into a USB or FireWire or eSATA port on the laptop?

12. leiff

leiff Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Mybooklive has no other ports beside Ethernet,

13. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    So the computer can't see it as a drive, it has to think of it as a separate computer with a drive inside?

14. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    kmttg or pyTivo is a much better match for what you want do to IAC.

15. leiff

leiff Member

Aug 24, 2005
    what is iac? So py TiVo will allow transfer directly onto NAS? Kmttg is just pytivo with some other features included right? Not necessary for me since I don't need auto features and I already have a videoredo licence.

16. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    Yes.

No, they're totally different.

17. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    In Any Case

No, they are different programs that do similar things, both will work with NAS storage and complement each other very well.

Windracer has a link in his Signature for TiVo Community posts that has excellent descriptions about programs that are available for TiVos I hope he dose not mind if I post the link here Getting the most out of your TiVo

18. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Well, not really. Windows places network shares and removable media in a different category than fixed media, and cannot in general make them available as drive targets upon boot. In particular, any media that may require user attention or password access is not established until someone logs in.

19. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Not only that, but pyTivo can be LOADED onto most NAS systems run as a daemon from there.

20. leiff

leiff Member

Aug 24, 2005
    I imagine The advantage of that would be I could setup auto transfers that don't rely on my PC being on . Since I don't need auto transfers, I don't suppose there's any other real reason I should load PYtivo to my NAS instead of my laptop but thanks for letting me know that works.