1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TivoStream vs Slingbox

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by jlfn99, Aug 18, 2012.

1. jlfn99

jlfn99 New Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Hi,

Anyone familiar with the upcoming Tivo Stream box recently announced? Looks exactly the same as Slingbox, except slingbox iphone app cannot download programs to the iphone.

I am thinking about buying Slingbox HD-Pro for $200+, so want to make sure I make the right investment.

Any info very much appreciated.

2. SullyND

SullyND L:45-21 TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    The stream doesn't stream outside the network, right?

3. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Active Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Right, the Stream will only stream and/or transfer programs to devices present on the network, not upload over the internet. You'll need Sling for that.

4. BlackBetty

BlackBetty I

Nov 5, 2004
    And the TiVo stream won't transfer shows that are CCI flagged.

5. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Are you sure about that? Streaming is not copying, so it should be "ok" for them to stream something flagged as "no copy", the same as streaming from one tivo to another.

6. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Active Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Guess it depends on the definition of "transfer". Assuming Betty means copy, that would be correct. It should *stream* copy-flagged stuff though.

7. BlackBetty

BlackBetty I

Nov 5, 2004
    Stream yes. Transfer no.

8. danjw1

danjw1 New Member

Sep 13, 2005
    If you bridge the network, and the discovery protocols port is propagated over that bridge, then I think it should work. The issue is configuring your router to propagate the port. I haven't tried to do this, so I am not sure if it would work.

9. jlfn99

jlfn99 New Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Okay, thanks for the input.

Slingbox seems then my preferred choice. However I like that Tivo Stream offers the option to download to the device.... any idea if with Slingbox that is possible?

10. gayste

gayste Love TiVo!

Feb 27, 2002
    Alexandria, VA
    Nope, Slingbox cannot download to the device, it is strictly live streaming only.

11. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Is this just speculation? Where are you all getting this info? TiVo has not released the product yet and I have seen no specs or features, other than the brief no-info stuff from several months ago...

12. SullyND

SullyND L:45-21 TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
  13. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    LOL- I guess I missed that part of the brief no-info :) Thanks.

Too bad I can't use it, since I don't own or want to own an "ipad" or "iphone". No Android = No buy. Guess we will see what happens.

14. emma157

emma157 New Member

Apr 17, 2012
    yes i also say stream

15. ness282

ness282 New Member

Oct 23, 2010
    This seems like a better place to ask this then at tivo. I think the real advantage of a tivo aware stream over slingbox is that it could be streaming you're recorded show ahead of what you are watching. Where instead the slingbox can only stream what is being piped out and seen on the tv. Does anyone know if this is how the stream actually works? If it does I assume it is much more resilient to connection drops than slingbox.

16. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The Stream works similar to streaming to another TiVo, so the show you watch on the iPad can be something completely different then what's being watched on the TiVo itself. As for the connection... I've seen a few pauses from network slowdowns but I've never seen my Stream completely drop the connection like my Slingbox would. So it does seem a bit more resilient. Although it doesn't stream outside the home, so if that's the functionality you need then you'll have to look at a Slingbox or a Vulkano.

Dan

17. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    There a ton of current "Stream" threads around here including a special "Stream" section I recommend you check them out.

But to try and answer your question. The stream only "streams" content inside of your local area network (LAN), (it is hard wired into your LAN) so there is little chance of your network being to slow to keep up. To view content when you are away from your LAN you need to side load it onto your IOS device before you leave.

Good Luck,

18. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Active Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Then there is the fact that the TiVo stream only talks to iOS devices, but sling has clients for lots of different things (though actually it is sometimes quite difficult to tell exactly how many things are supported by sling by reading their web pages :).

19. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Sling also charges $30 per device type for their app. So if you have an iPhone, an iPad and an Adroid device you'll have to pay $90 in apps to use it on all three.

Dan

20. csgraber

csgraber New Member

Feb 7, 2006
    I didn't get a slingbox, for these reasons:

1) its jury rigged. It has infraed controls and you control the TV from wherever. So if your wife is at home while you are at a conference she is suddenly blessed with whatever you want to watch. i don't like that.

2) They rip you off charging WAY to much for the apps for ipad after paying a lot for the app

It does offer out of the home functionality.. .but man. For the price . ..I think Tivo Stream + a netflix subscription should doo.