1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TiVo's two different audio settings?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by NoVa, Jul 10, 2013.

1. NoVa

NoVa Member

Feb 26, 2006
    NoVa
    TiVo's (P4 in my case) two audio settings -
    1) is classified 'Dolby Digital'
    2) is classified as 'Dolby Digital to PCM'.

Though - I am unsure what the difference is or when to use#1 is vs. #2?

2. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    It depends on what equipment you have hooked up to your Tivo.

Dolby Digital is usually 5.1 stereo surround (depends on the source).
    When you have the Tivo set to 'Dolby Digital', it will pass the source audio signal through to the device(s) that it is connected to.
    When you have the Tivo set to 'Dolby Digital to PCM', the Tivo down converts the audio to 2 channel stereo before it is passed on to the devices.

3. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    On a related note, if you are just using HDMI & TV speakers for audio, PCM may be a better choice. With the default Dolby output after using a trick play function such as 30 sec skip I noticed a brief audio dropout which got to be annoying. I discovered changing this setting to send PCM to TV fixed the problem of this brief audio dropout, and since I'm just using TV speakers for that location PCM is good enough.

4. NoVa

NoVa Member

Feb 26, 2006
    NoVa
    Thank you.

On latter - why would PCM be considered downconverting? I thought PCM processes audio signals that are passed through an audio system.

Are you actually saying that the TiVo compresses a source DD 5.1 signal to a stereo PCM track & then sends it out to whatever component can 'unzip' it ....& if a TV or receiver can't then it stays as 2-channel stereo?

5. NoVa

NoVa Member

Feb 26, 2006
    NoVa
    I am actually using HDMI to TV - for limiting AVReceiver usage & to get the TiVo sound effect. :)

However, I am still interested in what the TiVo does to a signal when using PCM esp. when it comes out the other side to a TV or Receiver...

6. takeshi

takeshi New Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Steve isn't referring to PCM in general but specifically the Tivo's PCM conversion. IIRC there's nothing to decode and it's just stereo.

7. Ennui

Ennui San Diego

Sep 2, 2008
    I have an old Bose 5.1 system fed by the optical out on the Premiere TiVo through a converter. When using Dolby out, I only get output on the front L-R speakers. Using PCM, I get output on all 5 speakers. FWIW

8. NoVa

NoVa Member

Feb 26, 2006
    NoVa

hmmm - if I interpret what you are saying - you are contradicting what Steve614 stated: that the optical is passing DD5.1 via optical to your converter & it's is lighting up all 5 speakers thru your converter (receiver)?

9. Ennui

Ennui San Diego

Sep 2, 2008
    Yes, that is correct. The converter is an external device in the line to the Bose. I do not know the details. It is at least 5 years old.

10. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    PCM is Pulse Code Modulation and is uncompressed audio. In general you cannot assume PCM is inferior as it can spit out up to 8 channels of audio and much higher bit rates than Dolby Digital (being uncompressed it does need higher bit rates to begin with). I don't know exactly what TiVo outputs as PCM though but it sounds like it may be more than 2 channels. I think some audiofiles actually prefer to use PCM output from Blu Ray players for example.

11. waynomo

waynomo My One Time TCF Club

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    :thumbup:

Most receivers should be able to decode PCM into 5.1 using Pro Logic. That being said, if you have a receiver that can do Dolby Digital, that should sound better.

I believe that that PCM is is encoding using an algorithm, and is decoded and makes some assumptions so is not coming out true 5.1. (disclaimer: it's been over 8 years since I seriously got into all that.)

12. Ennui

Ennui San Diego

Sep 2, 2008
    Maybe it is the converter I have. In watching baseball games transmitted in 5.1, I do get the crowd noises in the rear speakers and the announcers in the front ones. There is no announcer voice in the rear.

13. NoVa

NoVa Member

Feb 26, 2006
    NoVa

The question for me is: does the TiVo do any encoding of the source track to 2Chnl Stereo -'downconvert' - before passing it out as PCM?

My guess is no.
    It's still strictly sourced based & if the signal comes over as 5.1, then TiVo PCM it as is & it's up to the receiver to decode it. Right?

14. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    That would be my assumption as well, but I don't know if it's true or not.

15. Ennui

Ennui San Diego

Sep 2, 2008
  16. jtso

jtso New Member

Oct 2, 2009
    Radford, VA
    Thanks very much for this thread, and it solved the problem with the split second audio dropout when coming out of trick play, such as fast forwarding. I have the TiVo (2-tuner Premiere) connected to a receiver via HDMI.

When I switched the setting on the TiVo from Dolby to PCM, at first I only got 2-channel stereo. I then changed a setting on the receiver to "Pro Logic", and 5.1 audio came out. I do believe it sounds a bit more trebly this way, and it helps me hear dialog a little better, although that might just be my hearing going bad.

17. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    From Premiere User Guide manual I see this confirming that PCM for series 4 units does indeed down-convert to 2 channels:

18. Ennui

Ennui San Diego

Sep 2, 2008
    I wonder if this also covers the optical out...I am watching the All Star game now and there is definitely crowd noises only in rear speakers and announcers in front center speaker.

19. evanborkow

evanborkow Member

Mar 17, 2008
    You AVR may be simulating surround sound from the 2 channel source.