1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TiVo's remote 1-2 switch

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by prikindel, Jul 23, 2014.

1. prikindel

prikindel New Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Hello folks,

I have a sport bar like setup with 4 Seires 2 boxes, and use 2 remotes: one setup as addresses 1 and 2, and the other as addresses 3 and 4.

Now I bought another remote and try to set it up as 1 and 2, so that I could have 2 remotes that would control the same boxes 1 and 2. And because I already have the boxes set up properly, I only tried to setup the remotes, so I drove away from home and setup remotes by pressing TiVo+Pause and so on. It doesn't seem to work. It just sporadically works on both boxes with either switch positions, solooks like a mess.

My question is - was that my mistake that I tried to setup only the remote? Should I do the full setup like plug off other boxes, etc? Or the remote I bought is defective?

2. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    Not to sound silly, but you put brand-new batteries in the remote, right?

3. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Your post is a bit difficult for me to decipher, but (properly functioning) TiVo remotes with the switch can be set to any address, 0-9, without being anywhere near a TiVo.

Put the switch in the position you want, hold down the TiVo guy button and the pause button until the red activity indicator light on the end comes on and stays on, release both buttons, press the number button for the address you want, and then press the right arrow button to lock it in.

Slide the switch and do it again with the other number you wanted.

4. prikindel

prikindel New Member

Oct 25, 2007
    umm yes :)

5. prikindel

prikindel New Member

Oct 25, 2007

Yep, that's exactly what I did, and it works kinda funny. I switch it to 1, and seems that it works with both boxes - the one set to 1, and the one set to 2, but not always - sometimes yes, sometimes not.

6. squint

squint New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    You don't even need to press the right button. Any Tivo which is in the system information screen that picks up any signal from any Tivo remote will be set to that remote's code.

7. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    But we weren't talking about setting the TiVos, we were talking about setting the remotes.

Specifically without involving a TiVo.

8. squint

squint New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    I thought the instructions on Tivo's website said to point it at the TiVo and press the right arrow button. I've gotten away with pressing any button to send it to the Tivo. Or not pressing the right button at all if I just wanted to set the remote itself.

I could be mistaken but I did this just a few days ago.

9. dianebrat

dianebrat drastically off narrative TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    That's when you also want to change the Tivo to respond to the new channel number in the remote, in this case the OP doesn't want to do that, they just want to program an additional remote to an existing channel.

10. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Was the remote in question acquired new or used? If it was used, the 1-2 switch could be worn out.

11. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Or at least in need of a shot of tuner cleaner.

12. prikindel

prikindel New Member

Oct 25, 2007