1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TivoHD TCD652160 Dead HD 2TB WD?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by tivo4tom, Jan 29, 2013.

1. tivo4tom

tivo4tom New Member

Dec 10, 2004
    My Tivo unit started making loud noises from the HD and crashed. I thought I could replace with a 2TB WD AV-GP WD20EURS drive, but now reading some posts - I'm not so certain due to 2TB size and the HD model. Before sending back the HD to Amazon and buying a preloaded HD from Weaknees or DVD-Dude, is it possible to use this drive as a replacement?

2. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Since your original Tivo hard drive crashed, you would have to work with an image of the Tivo software.
    I think it might be possible, someone with more knowledge than I will have to confirm.
    I do know that it is not automated... I think you would have to know your way around hard drive partitions and the way Tivo structures them.

In your case I think it would be easier to get a pre-loaded hard drive from DVR Dude or Weaknees and be done with it.

BTW, I hear DVR Dude has better prices and is just as reputable as Weaknees.

3. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    No, you don't.

I disagree.

While dvr_dude's prices are much more reasonable, you're still paying a premium.

Perfectly possible, although it may require a temporary "middleman" drive. You should look at the upgrade threads or perhaps unitron will grace us with his presence here.

4. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    PM me in a few days or post back here, maybe I'll be well enough by then to coherently explain your options which most certainly do include running a WD20EURS in an S3 HD, 'cause I, and a bunch of other people are doing just that.

5. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    WOW! Didn't even have to type your name three times. Get well soon but don't push it. Your health is far more important than anything that happens 'round here. :up:

6. rayman2

rayman2 New Member

May 22, 2009
    I am trying to PM you a message, but I need 10 posts. I will PM you later

7. rayman2

rayman2 New Member

May 22, 2009
    Same problem for me

8. rayman2

rayman2 New Member

May 22, 2009
    Does it say trying to fix the problem?

9. rayman2

rayman2 New Member

May 22, 2009
    Where can you get the image?

10. WO312

WO312 Active Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Finger...
    Check the Tivo Upgrade Center further down the list of forums. There is a Tivo HD upgrade thread and an image thread.

11. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Do you already own a WD20EURS?

Do you own a working non-laptop PC that does not have a GigaByte brand motherboard?

Do you own a #10 Torx bit?